The robots are coming. Restructure the economy. Go.
  • Basically, for those not in the know, if I jaywalked in Shenzhen the local government could, and does, automatically fine me via my ID-linked ewallet and social network accounts. No letters, no juries, just crime and fine. Within 20 seconds.
  • Here is a doco that covers both why Shenzhen is becoming the hardware and software centre of the world, and the dystopian elements that entails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taZJblMAuko&t=1s
  • There must be false positives all over the place. I’ve seen 96% and 80% false positive failure rates quoted for the London tests.
  • Basically, for those not in the know, if I jaywalked in Shenzhen the local government could, and does, automatically fine me via my ID-linked ewallet and social network accounts. No letters, no juries, just crime and fine. Within 20 seconds.

That's grim.

• djchump wrote:
    There must be false positives all over the place. I’ve seen 96% and 80% false positive failure rates quoted for the London tests.

There are false positives, yes, but it's difficult to get exact numbers. That said, Chinese state tech is insane and the amount of biometric data / face data they have on every citizen and foreigner dwarfs that of the UK. The Chinese gov has far more of my personal and facial data than the UK gov does, and I get multiple calls per year checking my location. They know who I am, where I am, what I look like and what I'm doing. They know where my money is and where my money goes, and where my money comes from. It's comprehensive.
  • Comprehensive isn't the word I'd use.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Comprehensive isn't the word I'd use.

It's China. It's a proper authoritarian super-state and also the most incredible place on the planet. I know the deal.
  • I mean, from a personal perspective I can be 100% sure that I'm on a constant watch list. The wife's parents are CCP officials and I'm a foreign national. I know what the deal is.
  • I know you're in there with eyes wide open, and fair play to you, but fuck that entirely.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Indeed.
  • I know. I struggle at times myself. But it's genuinely more than that, and it's more than what the headlines imply. It's a beautiful and wonderful country full of mind-bogglingly brilliant people . The reality of the state is invisible in day to day life, then there's stuff that reminds you of what is really happening behind the scenes. It's insane and I couldn't imagine haven done anything else with my life.
  • Dystopian indeed.
    The people, history, culture and language are fascinating though.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

I don't care how nice the people are, fuck that entirely up the arse. That's as bad as human life gets imo and I'd rather starve in a sewer.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • djchump wrote:
    There must be false positives all over the place. I’ve seen 96% and 80% false positive failure rates quoted for the London tests.

It always starts off like that. If you've got a big enough dataset it'll learn really well really quick. Getting labelled data is the tricky part because you're going to need things like social networks to get that for you, which seemingly isn't a problem in China. 

FB et al certainly has the databases to make it very accurate indeed. We can but hope they're not supplying government agences with labelled data, but I suspect they might be. Once you 'acquire' a database you can train a neural network on it and delete the data. Now you've got a lovely new toy and no digital fingerprints to worry about.
  • Btw CAPTCHA is now used for NN's. That's why it asks you to tell it what the photo is sometimes.
  •  Getting labelled data is the tricky part because you're going to need things like social networks to get that for you, which seemingly isn't a problem in China. 

Yup, that's the hump that neural networks have to overcome.

It's not an issue here though - social networks and e-wallets are tied to national IDs, all of which require facial data and biometrics. If the government has access to social network data, which they do, they have a huge database of pre-tagged pics to throw into their AI to learn.
  • Aye, the CIA must be gaggging to get it's hands on FB data. It's probably the most important and alarming database on the planet, but the Chinese one's aren't so far behind in terms of numbers. You can't even escape it by not joining them because someone, somewhere has taken a photo of you and stuck a name in there. Imagine how accurate it is from all those selfies? Must be hitting near perfect by now.
  • A quick Google and I notice they're using neurals it for lie detecting now. Jesus. They can get good results using facial micro expressions alone. For one of my Masters projects I decided to see I could train a CNN on a really small database but using HD photos - of celebs and a few people on the course. It worked alarmingly well. Seems it was picking up skin patterns like moles and veins and you could show it portions of faces like the top or botton and it did ok. And that's just me doing it over a couple of weeks as a noob.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    When you layer the data, facial recognition (from multiple sources in the area), gps data from personal devices, wifi data from connections people make as the walk around, spending data from e wallets etc you can build a pretty comprehensive pattern of life. I imagine that false positives happen much less often than they would in the UK, where thankfully our police aren't allowed to aggregate all that data
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Can you protest auto-fines in China?  Or is it just like "tough shit" if the robots get it wrong?
  • When you layer the data, facial recognition (from multiple sources in the area), gps data from personal devices, wifi data from connections people make as the walk around, spending data from e wallets etc you can build a pretty comprehensive pattern of life. I imagine that false positives happen much less often than they would in the UK, where thankfully our police aren't allowed to aggregate all that data

Absolutely. The data you can get from a mobile is becoming a worry. Get good enough accelerometers in there and it won't be long before your gait is as unique as your iris. It could porbably tell you what mood you're in while it's at it. A guy from Tesco came to give a lecture about loyalty cards. Scary as fuck when someone knows what you're going to do better than you do.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Can you protest auto-fines in China?  Or is it just like "tough shit" if the robots get it wrong?

It wouldn't surprise if they at least allowed you to protest, at least for now. More labelled data innit?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Then they send in the tanks.
  • AI tanks that don't miss.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

You can appeal and get them overturned, yes.
  • I spoke recently with a chap who is also in China and on very serious watch lists with his ‘eyes wide open’, as you say. 

Despite living between Scotland and Shanghai, he’s an American citizen and he has a code word arrangement with the US embassy – text, phone, email or whatever to the embassy with his code word included and there is a prearranged plan to get him safely out of China within 12 hours. All to avoid the very real prospect of being suddenly ‘disappeared’ by the party.
  • ... Seems it was picking up skin patterns like moles and veins and you could show it portions of faces like the top or botton and it did ok. And that's just me doing it over a couple of weeks as a noob.
    Common feature of CV CNNs/GANs is that they detect texture and are terrible at detecting silhouette/shape, due to the unsupervised learning and datasets used.

Can't remember source article that dug into the comparison between CNN and traditional Bag of Features/Words CV approach, I think it was this:  https://openreview.net/forum?id=SkfMWhAqYQ
  • One related thing that I probably should have mentioned re. the auto-fine system, is that it is just one part of the newer Citizen Rating system that is coming into play, and Shenzhen is kind of at the forefront of that. 

Basically, imagine every citizen had an invisible ASBO rating. Performing anti-social acts, even if not crimes themselves, would see your rating change, and this would influence your ability to gain access to certain services. These acts can be small (Poprock or Sparky recently posted about "Beijing Bikinis", and that would be a good example of a small, anti-social act that the government wants to change), ranging from being shirtless, to playing loud music on a public bus, to taking off your shoes and resting your feet on chairs in public, to small crimes (jaywalking) and so on - up to and beyond, the opinions you express online and whether they are detrimental to the stability of the country or critical of the party.

As your rating changes, you may find it harder, or impossible, to buy long-distance train tickets, or get a mortgage for a house. The idea is to tie all IDs, public actions and social media into one pool of information and try to "civilise" people (incidentally, the word civilise is kind of a common one that is used here, but the like-for-like translation makes it sounds worse than it is).

In recent years, the government has clamped down on spitting, low food safety, fireworks in cities and the like - all things I would have though impossible in the beginning. And this social rating project is an extension of that. 

I didn't twig it at first, but Shenzhen is the politest city I have ever been to in China. I was genuinely surprised that when I went there, cars stopped to let people cross the road, and that passengers on public transport regularly gave their seats to the elderly or pregnant women. I don't know if that is just the Shenzhen culture - it may be, as the city is incredibly international - or if it is because of the influence of social engineering. 

Anyway, I don't know where I'm going with this, it was just something I forgot to mention the first time round.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I mean it is basically this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosedive_(Black_Mirror)
  • Weirdly enough, Black Mirror is super popular in China. Go figure.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!