The robots are coming. Restructure the economy. Go.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    Trains are the one form of transport that I think will run much better with as little human involvement as possible. Cannot wait for them to go fully robo.
    Also while I'm here, it's clearly cars. Cars being autonomous is going to save way more lives and reduce traffic and make everyone happier when you can just get in the car and chill out/do work/whatever instead of punching your steering wheel.

It's a way off with cars yet. They can drive pretty well in small numbers but it'll take a lot of communication between all the cars to make it work well, and that makes it vulnerable to hacking.
    I don’t think they’ll be making on board decisions eventually so won’t need to talk to each much. They’ll be sending stuff back and forth from their sensors to a server which will provide their speed and route based on wider traffic data. Then on board emergency systems will take over for a crash. That needs smart roads though or at least smart lanes. But yeah, not about to happen quickly.
  • They'll need to talk to a main sever and each other. You need to protect against server failures to avoid chaos should things go wrong. Imagine if a server router was hacked or just glitched? The chaos would insane. In the same way you can't just rely on cars to communicate only with each other.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If its truly a smart system then hopefully there will be sensors in lamp posts for example, that also detect where vehicles, pedestrians and other objects are, and how they are moving, and then communicate that information to the automated cars in the street. Those cars would in turn inform the other cars in the near vicinity of their immediate route (turning left, continuing straight on etc) and then between them work out rights of way, speeds etc to ensure traffic keeps flowing.
  • Yes, yes, that's all very well, but we were promised flying robot cars.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • They'll need to talk to a main sever and each other. You need to protect against server failures to avoid chaos should things go wrong. Imagine if a server router was hacked or just glitched? The chaos would insane. In the same way you can't just rely on cars to communicate only with each other.
    Yeah but a server should be more securable than cars transmitting packets to each other. And you could always have more than one server. I agree there’s potential for apocalyptic traffic jams (edit - or terrorist attack etc) with just servers though.

Technical details are just one source of delay. There needs to be laws made governing stuff like whether an autonomous vehicle is allowed to kill its passengers to save more passengers in another car. We’re just not grown up enough to have that debate.
  • That's debate has been done tbh, and the results vary per country, but as one engineer put it, it's always a matter of just slamming the brakes on anyway.
  • You’ll be waiting for AI to develop far enough to write the laws.
  • Trains: Rouj nailed it. Auto-driving trains with human guards, please.

Planes: Same, please. Autopilots with human cabin crew. ‘Captain’ role for a trained back-up pilot / tech support.

Automobiles: No thanks. Like SG said, as soon as you insert enough network connectivity for automated driving to work, you’ve opened the system up to catastrophic hacking. Cars operate in an environment that is too unpredictable.

You could make a case for regulating and controlling the environment, to make automated cars work. Mayber. Robot-only lanes on the roads, etc.
  • Johnny-Cab.jpg
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • That's debate has been done tbh, and the results vary per country, but as one engineer put it, it's always a matter of just slamming the brakes on anyway.
    Not in cases where braking wouldn’t prevent loss of life. Changing direction, putting the one car into possibly greater danger while avoiding the other car or pedestrians, isn’t clear cut. Anyway, none of it is rational. You’re expecting people to buy things that, when it comes to the crunch, would kill them rather than others. You only need a few “Killer Cars” headlines in the tabloids to poison the whole idea. That sort of national debate hasn’t even started yet.
  • monkey wrote:
    That's debate has been done tbh, and the results vary per country, but as one engineer put it, it's always a matter of just slamming the brakes on anyway.
    Not in cases where braking wouldn’t prevent loss of life. Changing direction, putting the one car into possibly greater danger while avoiding the other car or pedestrians, isn’t clear cut. Anyway, none of it is rational. You’re expecting people to buy things that, when it comes to the crunch, would kill them rather than others. You only need a few “Killer Cars” headlines in the tabloids to poison the whole idea. That sort of national debate hasn’t even started yet.

You're reading too much into it. The computers are safer than humans, and that's all they need to be. Sure, there's going to be a shitload of litigation to be done, but invariably the cars are already safer than humans, and they're only going to get better.

They are mostly safer because they apply the brakes earlier. That's it, the rest is philosophical curiosity. The Middle East for example, when questioned, always thought it'd be better to save the elders and fuck the kids. It's the opposite in the West. It's trivial though. Applying the brakes sooner, not being drunk and observing the speed limit are things that save lives. The press will have headlines for sure but governments have figures.
  • I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make. People have got to want to get into these things. Government statistics don't do that. Governments don't defy tabloids or popular opinion anyway. I've never been anywhere near an autonomous car but I'd be surprised if it didn't take everyone a bit of time to get used to the idea that they're being driven around by a computer. Fill their mind with enough shit about the dangers and that might be enough to turn them off the idea completely. 

Anyway, a lot of it depends on the implementation. The steering out of danger thing I brought up is completely moot in a fully autonomous system, where all cars are controlled, moving around on purpose-built or adapted roads that won't allow any form of jaywalking. Mix them in with human-driven cars, on our current road network and have them making their own decisions, and these issues are going to become more prominent.
  • But it's already being implemented, at a council near you. These cars are on the roads right now. They need permission and they get them. And that's just the research ones. Anyone can buy a Tesla. They're already saving lives too. Environmental concerns are more pressing right now, and automation can help address this, but it'll take time. Not that it isn't going at bullet speed already.
  • Tesla's level 2. I don't think it's saving any lives. If anything, the sort of cult of Tesla lead drivers to overestimate its capabilities, sit in the back etc etc. In clear contravention of what Tesla itself says about its car, in the fin print.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • It does save lives although it doesn't make great headlines. In print they're going to say it's an aid, not a default, but they'd be bust already if the tech didn't work, and work well.
  • But I agree with SG. Humans romanticise their driving, including this mythical "I'm gonna swerve and speed and avoid this accident like a boss". In reality, you are safer by not speeding in the first place, by braking to take energy out of any collision etc. The advent of these cars will massively reduce fatalities by doing seriously basic things that humans can't do very well at all it transpires.

But we are far away still from SAE level 4. And level 3 is super tricky.

This tech will need a massive social acceptance driv in order to avoid the MMR/GM foods problem
  • It does save lives although it doesn't make great headlines. In print they're going to say it's an aid, not a default, but they'd be bust already if the tech didn't work, and work well.

This is exactly the kind of faith /culty thing that's dangerous. Tesla's autopilot is just a name. It is driving assistance technology.

• But it's already being implemented, at a council near you. These cars are on the roads right now. They need permission and they get them. And that's just the research ones. Anyone can buy a Tesla. They're already saving lives too. Environmental concerns are more pressing right now, and automation can help address this, but it'll take time. Not that it isn't going at bullet speed already.
    Well, yeah the West Midlands is actually doing a lot of stuff. Andy Street  (Tory Mayor of Birmingham / Corporate Bullshit Merchant / Man Desperate to Use His Position to Create National Platform for Future Tilt at Tory Leadership) is all behind it. It's a race, as far as he's concerned, to get them on the roads. Which doesn't sound like the optimum conditions to implement these things. One pedestrian death caused Uber to shut down it's testing for a year. What's a motorway pile up going to do? You're not getting Theresa May standing up and quoting stats about overall safety when ten people have died from a ropey AI decision. She'll do what the Daily Mail tells her like always. 

You don't need to convince me about them. I had a bad crash on the motorway a few years ago (well I wasn't injured but it was fucking dicey to say the least). It just came from a lorry not seeing me in it's blind spot. In my book, get the stupid humans out of the decision making loop for the control of tons of steel hurtling around requiring split-second reactions to avoid death. A hundred years from now, people will find it hard to believe that we used to take such risks in just getting about the place. But equally now, people might need some convincing that these things are safe and you should put your family inside of one.
    This is exactly the kind of faith /culty thing that's dangerous. Tesla's autopilot is just a name. It is driving assistance technology.

It's hard to document the cases it's proved itself because a person alive after is just still alive, whereas a dead person makes headlines. You're right, it is "assisted", at least in print ( they'd be mad not to) but it has to be overly safe for it to take off, not that tech has ever been stopped because it could potentially be dangerous, but computers are learning real quick, and it's arguably safer than humans right now. What it does highlight, if anything, is how shit some human drivers are. If everyone drove like a pensioner we'd still need automation at some point in order to make cars more environmentally efficient, even though the roads would be 10 times safer than now.
  • This is all just gibberish, you argue from the fantastical notion that Tesla cars do more than they say they do or advise their drivers on because... Because Allah said so? Oh they can do way more it's just they can't say that. This is dangerous nonsense. Tesla is level 2. Very advanced level 2 bordering on 3.

Level 4 and above is what will deliver real benefits.
  • You get a cheaper insurance quote if your car has an autopilot feature. That's not Allah. Tesla cars are expensive to insure for all sorts of reasons but autopilot is not one of them.
  • You get a cheaper insurance quote if your car has an autopilot feature. That's not Allah. Tesla cars are expensive to insure for all sorts of reasons but autopilot is not one of them.

None of these so called autopilot features are self driving cars. You need to search for "Society of Automautive Engineers" levels.

• I never said they were self-driving, I said they were arguably safer. You can admit you're wrong you know. It's fine.
  • I'M WRONG!

There you go. Wasn't so bad was it?
  • Lol, ok
  • Sounds like we all agree that the real problem is Tesla’s attempt to brand driver aids as ‘Autopilot™’. Okay, good. Carry on.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It’s interesting/telling of where they are in the process, that when they restricted it to only being able to control what it could see on screen, like a human player, it lost. Would a human player with all the advantages the AI had lost all of their matches? I’m sure the Dota thing was similar.

True.

Game 1 in the series vs Mana was terrifying though.
    The AI literally walked through a professional defence.

I mean, it sometimes happens... Like when you see some top level Korean micro, it's similarly precise.
    But there are certain things that pro players respect (or just humanity generally), like huge defensive units at narrow passes...

And the the AI did not give 2 fucks.

I sometimes wish I could play Starcraft. Tough, tough game.
    I respect the purity. It's much like Street Fighter in that regard.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I haven't had time to watch it, or really read up on it properly, but I wonder if it's anything like this excerpt from a very long New Yorker article:
    In 1981, a computer scientist from Stanford University named Doug Lenat entered the Traveller Trillion Credit Squadron tournament, in San Mateo, California. It was a war game. The contestants had been given several volumes of rules, well beforehand, and had been asked to design their own fleet of warships with a mythical budget of a trillion dollars. The fleets then squared off against one another in the course of a weekend. “Imagine this enormous auditorium area with tables, and at each table people are paired off,” Lenat said. “The winners go on and advance. The losers get eliminated, and the field gets smaller and smaller, and the audience gets larger and larger.”

Lenat had developed an artificial-intelligence program that he called Eurisko, and he decided to feed his program the rules of the tournament. Lenat did not give Eurisko any advice or steer the program in any particular strategic direction. He was not a war-gamer. He simply let Eurisko figure things out for itself. For about a month, for ten hours every night on a hundred computers at Xerox parc, in Palo Alto, Eurisko ground away at the problem, until it came out with an answer. Most teams fielded some version of a traditional naval fleet—an array of ships of various sizes, each well defended against enemy attack. Eurisko thought differently. “The program came up with a strategy of spending the trillion on an astronomical number of small ships like P.T. boats, with powerful weapons but absolutely no defense and no mobility,” Lenat said. “They just sat there. Basically, if they were hit once they would sink. And what happened is that the enemy would take its shots, and every one of those shots would sink our ships. But it didn’t matter, because we had so many.” Lenat won the tournament in a runaway.

The next year, Lenat entered once more, only this time the rules had changed. Fleets could no longer just sit there. Now one of the criteria of success in battle was fleet “agility.” Eurisko went back to work. “What Eurisko did was say that if any of our ships got damaged it would sink itself—and that would raise fleet agility back up again,” Lenat said. Eurisko won again.

Eurisko was an underdog. The other gamers were people steeped in military strategy and history. They were the sort who could tell you how Wellington had outfoxed Napoleon at Waterloo, or what exactly happened at Antietam. They had been raised on Dungeons and Dragons. They were insiders. Eurisko, on the other hand, knew nothing but the rule book. It had no common sense. As Lenat points out, a human being understands the meaning of the sentences “Johnny robbed a bank. He is now serving twenty years in prison,” but Eurisko could not, because as a computer it was perfectly literal; it could not fill in the missing step—“Johnny was caught, tried, and convicted.” Eurisko was an outsider. But it was precisely that outsiderness that led to Eurisko’s victory: not knowing the conventions of the game turned out to be an advantage.

“Eurisko was exposing the fact that any finite set of rules is going to be a very incomplete approximation of reality,” Lenat explained. “What the other entrants were doing was filling in the holes in the rules with real-world, realistic answers. But Eurisko didn’t have that kind of preconception, partly because it didn’t know enough about the world.” So it found solutions that were, as Lenat freely admits, “socially horrifying”: send a thousand defenseless and immobile ships into battle; sink your own ships the moment they get damaged.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/05/11/how-david-beats-goliath
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah. There was some aspect of that, especially in the game I cited, though unlike Chess, or Go, in Starcraft, there have been games where some players do some audacious shit like that...

Just not that specifically.

The fear about systems like this definitely invokes the idea of the 'paperclip optimiser' thought experiment... 
    These public demonstrations (Watson, AlphaGo, Alphastar, etc) rarely appear to brick in public, but they do.

My favourite story so far was the one about Watson ingesting the whole Urban Dictionary in a debug session, and dropping dank memes whole day.

I bet they kept that one...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!