Overwatch 2 is in Beta and apparently they’ve changed all sorts!
  • Got to play some of this. Not as much as I would have liked. Only the training and a handful of matches.
    Art style is fantastic.

Tried 5 or 6 of the characters, Roadhogg being favourite. I was starting to click with a few things.
    I can definitely see it being huge.
  • Had a bad night. Every team i joined was just widowmaker and hanzo. Suffice to say we lost. Frustrating, do people not notice it you know, not working?
  • Not much worse than bad snipers.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Had a mixed bag tonight. Some games where non on my side would push the objective with me, others where we smashed it with a good mix of tanks and healers.  I had a couple of good games with the freeze girl to.  I'm sure at one respawn she said "Everyone's coming on me!"

In retrospect I think it was actually "everyone is counting on me!"
  • I've had a blast with this while playing with @Prankster and others, definitely getting it. Haven't laughed as much while playing in a long time.
  • I think with so many characters and so short a time people gravitate to the new friendly ones. In Splatoon people gravitated towards a couple of cheap weapons at the start but moved on once counters were found.
  • Finally managed to try this, but I've only played tutorial and matches against bots. Surprisingly I really enjoyed it, so I my get this, although as a great man one said:

"....good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living? That's something else".
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Had a bad night. Every team i joined was just widowmaker and hanzo. Suffice to say we lost. Frustrating, do people not notice it you know, not working?

Same! It's people picking those two or Bastion on attack that gets up my nose. Still had a great game with a new hero you and everyone else has bigged up in the past, fucking Lucio.

So mobile, gets kills but the best of the lot is the speed boost and health regen buffs you dish out to your team. Awesome character to use on the maps where you have to cap the neutral point, you keep everyone alive with health top ups and even if there is a wipe you're all back in there seconds later thanks to the speed boost.

It's amazing that I've not played a hero I'd regard as plain old shit. The only one I've griped about is Zarya but having seen Nexx do the business with her I'm certain the failing was with how I was using her. 21 characters and all of them are handy in a given situation, great design.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Lucios wall grinding passive is very underused. You can do some insane Titanfall style feats of mobility. Get behind widowmakers and knockback blast them towards your team.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Greece map with the well in the middle of the cap point last night, me swooping in on my rollerblades and knocking a Roadhog in there when he thought he was there for the long haul. The game is brilliant.
  • Wish we could all play together, would be amazing with customs.
  • I think this game is much more geared for organised play. The passive aggressive way it gets you to create a balanced team is a crutch. Also a problem that just wanting to jump in natural synergies become harder to implement.

Also: jealousy/envy. Why should I be mister shit character because other guy has chosen fun guy.
  • Everyone is pretty fun.
  • It makes me appreciate Splatoon a lot. The fact that everyone has the same role but the way you achieve your goal is very personal is empowering.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Everyone is pretty fun.

If that was true then there'd be a decent variety. I suppose you can be pedantic and say everyone is X fun but it's irrelevant if one or two are 10X fun.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    Ok reg

Hooking a sniper as Roadhog then bumming them in the gob or launching an aerial barrage on an entire team as Phara is not as fun as squirting paint on the floor, come on Dan.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Everyone is pretty fun.

If that was true then there'd be a decent variety. I suppose you can be pedantic and say everyone is X fun but it's irrelevant if one or two are 10X fun.

Everyone is fun, it's not my fault that people are idiots.

• Lucio's what ability? Wow how did i not notice that.
  • I think this game is much more geared for organised play. The passive aggressive way it gets you to create a balanced team is a crutch. Also a problem that just wanting to jump in natural synergies become harder to implement. Also: jealousy/envy. Why should I be mister shit character because other guy has chosen fun guy.

Good crutch or bad crutch? They've been very explicit that they wanted to have MOBA style organisation in game rather than the standard run and gun, ignore your teammates, gameplay on show in TF2 (although apparently there was a small competitive scene who treated the game in an organised fashion) and in most FPS games these days. Why anyone would disagree with this approach I don't know. It is literally a team game, the team actually being important isn't massively surprising. It means that the individual 'fun' is subsumed into the bigger team picture. The game is at its most fun when the team is functioning well and your support character is helpfully 'supporting' other characters. Playing as mercy in such a way that some of your tank characters literally will not die is super fun. Sure you run the risk of teammates not playing ball but in public games that's the reality. And often it will work well.
    GT: Knight640
  • Who is everyone maining so far? I'm Reaper, tactical flanks yo.
  • Knight wrote:
    I think this game is much more geared for organised play. The passive aggressive way it gets you to create a balanced team is a crutch. Also a problem that just wanting to jump in natural synergies become harder to implement. Also: jealousy/envy. Why should I be mister shit character because other guy has chosen fun guy.

Good crutch or bad crutch? They've been very explicit that they wanted to have MOBA style organisation in game rather than the standard run and gun, ignore your teammates, gameplay on show in TF2 (although apparently there was a small competitive scene who treated the game in an organised fashion) and in most FPS games these days. Why anyone would disagree with this approach I don't know. It is literally a team game, the team actually being important isn't massively surprising. It means that the individual 'fun' is subsumed into the bigger team picture. The game is at its most fun when the team is functioning well and your support character is helpfully 'supporting' other characters. Playing as mercy in such a way that some of your tank characters literally will not die is super fun. Sure you run the risk of teammates not playing ball but in public games that's the reality. And often it will work well.

It seems like a have cake and eat it approach. To me the me the crutch suggests the game needs a casual audience (for money reasons) but is somewhat unsuited to that kind of play, ie without organising and strategy. It effectively forces a play style on players which isn't ideal in this sort of game.
  • Zarya and Tracer were my two most played.  I didn't really main anyone though, I enjoyed switching it up.

I don't remember ever coming up against an enemy Zarya which is odd because she's amazing.
  • Tred was using her a bit.
  • @crayon Blizz are insanely wealthy and like Nintendo they can set their own prices for things (barring CD keys subversion) which end up being naturally higher than most PC releases. I doubt they care too much about needing huge numbers for a big return.

The "crutch" doesn't do anything, you can still pick a team of 6 heroes, it just tells you it isn't advisable. It's just a reminder that with limited slots you should try and build a balanced team comp. Nothing is forced. You can win with 6 Torbjorns, you can win with 6 Tracers, you can win with pretty much any team comp if you play well enough, but it's a gentle reminder that if you aren't winning you might want to follow the hints to build a team with natural synergy. It's a useful tutorial for brand new players, and a constant reminder that if you aren't doing well as a sniper because there are 2 others, you might want to switch. Personally I'd take it further and have the game tell you on death if your team is unbalanced, because if people lock in for a whole match, chances are they'll never press "switch character" and thus might miss it.

I don't see how building a competitive team based game that has hints on how to build a strong team to win is having your cake and eating it in approach. Its never been anything other than a fast paced MOBA influenced FPS.
  • Nexx wrote:
    I don't remember ever coming up against an enemy Zarya which is odd because she's amazing.

I think she needs a wee buff to her input>output mechanic personally, too easy to just wait for her shield to go down before wasting her, and the damage boost she gets doesn't feel strong enough for the difficulty of getting it to near 100. Plenty of times i've done an amazing 5 man black hole with an 80-90 shield and i've emptied 4-5 grenades into it only to see them all walk off after.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    @Crayon who did you feel you were forced to play and who would you rather have played as?
  • I think this game is much more geared for organised play. The passive aggressive way it gets you to create a balanced team is a crutch. Also a problem that just wanting to jump in natural synergies become harder to implement. Also: jealousy/envy. Why should I be mister shit character because other guy has chosen fun guy.
    It seems like a have cake and eat it approach. To me the me the crutch suggests the game needs a casual audience (for money reasons) but is somewhat unsuited to that kind of play, ie without organising and strategy. It effectively forces a play style on players which isn't ideal in this sort of game.

No it's an effort to enable random players to play together as a team and to consider the mix of their team. In public matchmaking giving players some help is a good idea. If the game is meant to be played a certain way its good to encourage and help players to play in that way as much as possible. 
     It effectively forces a play style on players which isn't ideal in this sort of game.
    In a team based game I fail to see the problem with this. And so much of the fun of the game is variety, not just using one character, so that being encouraged by the very balance of the different heroes is a great idea.
    GT: Knight640
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    Who is everyone maining so far? I'm Reaper, tactical flanks yo.

I think Roadhog is my favourite, but I've not stuck with anyone for long. I've still not even tried the sniper, Reaper, cowboy fella, teleport lady, mech girl, Winston or floaty Buddhist robot thing. What an idiot.
  • 'Maining' a character goes against the spirit of the game a little, no?

You should be picking based on what your team doesn't have enough of.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!