God
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Atheist or agnostic, or Atheist capital or atheist little a? However you want to word it, atheism is a choice, just the same as theism. If your boy is asking about truth, then surely now is the perfect time to explain to him that there are unknowable things. Some of which may become known in time and some of which won't. Teaching him that his friends belief is wrong (no matter how much good intent is meant) seems likely to be divisive

Atheism isn't a choice necessarily. Someone who was raised with no concept of god wouldn't have chosen to be an atheist. They just never had the need for a supernatural explanation.

Of course, people who were raised religious similarly had no choice either. 

The difference is that atheism is the default or neutral position. If you don't learn anything about any religion, it is what it is. Religion requires specific learning about it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Cocko, it's no more divisive than telling your children that ghosts and monsters are unknowable?  Get this crap out of kids minds soon as.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Some mix of ath and ag as default position is correct. Apply the fundamental tools we have developed (crit, logic, scientific method), with which we attempt to understand life, the universe and everything, and that's where you end up. Eschew that grounding and you're out on a very narrow (but populous) limb, that's a foolish position to take voluntarily. Be informed, don't be uninformed, assuming you have the opportunity to do so.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'd disagree, I'd say that agnosticism is the default or natural position

When I was that sort of age, I started to realise that I wanted to know everything, in fact my biggest fear was there being stuff that I didn't know. I even created a belief structure of my own that addressed this fear. 30 years on I still choose to believe in it

Kids want to be correct, and you can teach them whatever you wish, but teach them tolerance first, no one likes a preacher, no matter what they're evangelising

edit: outta the way Skerret, but yeah I think I mainly agree
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Atheism is a choice? What a weird thing to say. Only mentals talk like this.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Please tell me that's tongue in cheek

edit: or that you mean mentals in some new way that I don't understand
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Please tell me that's tongue in cheek edit

Erm, emphatically no.
  • Do you choose to believe 2+2 does not equal 5? Do you?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    So by daring to question your belief (yeah yeah, fact not belief), nay even suggest that it is a belief and not a fact then someone is a mental

I guess the fundamentalists aren't always religious
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Math is an abstract concept created by man to describe his experience

Much like religion
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I'm assuming Astrology is an abstract concept we shouldn't be promoting?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Definitely live in a computer simulation. Definitely. But "I'm not sure whether there is a God or not"? Madness! 2+2 = 17!
  • Agnosticism is not the default because it is the state where an equal probability is assigned to there being a supernatural world or not. It assumes both possibilities have a chance. 

Atheism is strictly absence of belief. If you have never been presented with the concept of gods or whatever you are an atheist. You can also be an atheist if you know of them and rejected the validity of such a claim. 

But to be agnostic you need to have a concept of both possibilities.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Agnosticism is the admission that nothing is known. As something becomes known it can be integrated into the agnostics system. Rejection of any possibility without knowledge seems no less foolish than acceptance of the same

When I said earlier that Math is an abstraction for dealing with unanswerables, I meant that. It's quite a coincidence that disparate cultures all across the pre Abrahamic world all had the same questions and answered them in very similar ways

I personally couldn't care less what other people think/believe, at the end if the day these are all ideas. I'm far less keen on the denigration of people because of their ideas. Twenty years ago (and in many places still today) people would struggle to tell parents that they were homosexual due to fear of rejection. I imagine many of us are far more enlightened than that, but I wonder how we'd react if our kids came home one day and said they'd found god(s)
  • Oh dear, space gazelle.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Agnosticism is not the default because it is the state where an equal probability is assigned to there being a supernatural world or not.

I think it is the default, but with the proviso that religions account for nothing within the position.

There's a Heisenberg-esque scientific paradox re: Jesus, in that he had to be composed of particles to be observable (and in his case, corporeal), thus mortalising him. Nothing precludes a mortal from being created by a god (except their own existence), but I think it's fair to question the efficacy of JC's campaign given his allegedly full Maradona.

Science demands that any gods exist beyond universes - beyond our capacity for understanding, or else it's wrong. And if that's true, it speaks of some right shitty garden-path gods. Any depictions or descriptions of them run afoul of the necessity for science to be wrong to make them right; to know without knowing.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Agnosticism is the admission that nothing is known. As something becomes known it can be integrated into the agnostics system. Rejection of any possibility without knowledge seems no less foolish than acceptance of the same

You are conflating two types of atheism into one.

There is the atheist of the spacegazelle type who says "the religious explanations are bunkum, without evidence, and scientific evidence is a better explanation by far". 

There is the natural atheist (for lack of a better term) who has never seen, heard, read about or touched anything that would be construed as a god. They are not rejecting the concept of the supernatural; they have no concept of it.
  • And in terms of rejection you can either listen to some idea and say "no, I reject that" or you can say "I'm not listening lalalala" and reject it. Which no-one is saying is the case here except you, cockbeard. That latter one is a bit of a strawman I am afraid. 

Well, maybe not entirely.

Do you reject every Hindu deity based on believing something else, believing there is no supernatural, or have you decided instead that theyre all wrong and substituted your own supernatural explanation? An atheist can quite consistently reject the Hindu, Roman and Greek pantheons because they dont believe in any supernatural explanations. A religious person who rejects Hinduism but chooses Islam or Christianity is perhaps closer to "rejecting (a) possibility without knowledge" and is thus foolish, by your metric.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah this is the part where I get confused. I always have. That's why I mentioned initially about capital a versus small a. Seems to me that Atheism is belief in no gods and agnosticism is no belief, then after all that we have atheism, little a

I don't understand why these atheists feel that agnosticism isn't a strong enough word, but don't want to nail their colours to the mast of Atheism
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Agno's the right term, but it's misrepped by both entrenched camps: religions view it as soft disbelief, while atheists view it as soft religion.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Just an aside, (the mention of Hinduism see) and I claim no huge expertise, but I'm pretty certain that most of the pre Abrahamic religions are collections of teachings, stories and instructions on how to practise your devotion, they don't state that other religions are wrong. It's seems only Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah sends to have this need to be the centre of attention, and gives his followers to reject all others. No expertise, and I bet it's easy to find an example to disprove this, however I do believe this to be true for most if not all
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Yeah this is the part where I get confused. I always have. That's why I mentioned initially about capital a versus small a. Seems to me that Atheism is belief in no gods and agnosticism is no belief, then after all that we have atheism, little a I don't understand why these atheists feel that agnosticism isn't a strong enough word, but don't want to nail their colours to the mast of Atheism

Agnosticism is, by my understanding, an acknowledgement that there is a possibility of any god or no god. True agnosticism should assign an equal probability to any possibility, shouldn't it? As in with there being a few million gods, there is about a 0.0001% chance of any of them being real.

With atheism, there is the hard atheism which says absolutely there is no god. There is also the atheism informed by Occam's Razor which suggests that any explanation invoking gods is probably not right, and the most likely explanation is that there is no god. I fall into that category: religion was one of humanity's first guesses at explaining the natural world and not a very good one.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    A religion that states we're not important enough to warrant a religion is a religion I'd follow.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Agnosticism means we do not know. Therefore no probability is assigned to anything as we have knowledge of it. Equal probability is like saying you have a 50-50 chance of winning a lottery, you either win or you don't

We are lucky in that we have bandaged to now assign scientific process to much of what we see, especially going backwards and thinking of creation, although we do have plenty of mysteries still, the first few tiny fractions of a second, dark matter etc

Questions about humanity however, how we had created such cities, bent the flora and fauna to our will. Admittedly nowadays we have seen behaviors we still call human in animals and the line between us and them grows smaller, but does that mean or questions are answered our does it mean we should now wonder what happens to Spot the dog after he dies, instead of just worrying about ourselves
  • The important thing to explain to kids is that religion is superstructural and as such a reflection of the economic base.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Agnosticism means we do not know. Therefore no probability is assigned to anything as we have knowledge of it. Equal probability is like saying you have a 50-50 chance of winning a lottery, you either win or you don't

It depends how you frame the question. If you are asking is there anything supernatural, then there either is or there isn't. But if you are asking if any of the human-conceived gods are real then the odds of any one of them being correct are minuscule if all have an equal probability.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm not sure you can assign a probability to something you have no knowledge of. If I am agnostic I am aware that I know nothing, I have accepted the subjects unknowability. Although I guess being as we have two different meanings of atheist then the odds of that being true are halved?

Once again I've no idea why you're talking about probability in this manner. At the Grand National there can be 30 horses running, each of them can either win the race or not win the race, however the odds aren't 2-1 on every horse, neither are they 30-1
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Dawkins uses probability similarly misleadingly IMO. I suspect somebody has read The God Delusion (which tbf I didn't think was all bad).

For me, agnosticism is "we can't possibly know", as opposed to "I don't know" (which is uncertainty/ignorance). I think i'm possibly in both of those camps.

I'm not sure equating belief in ghosts with the question of where the universe came from is hugely helpful.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    Definitely live in a computer simulation. Definitely. But "I'm not sure whether there is a God or not"? Madness! 2+2 = 17!

I enjoyed this btw. We need more gonz itt.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm not sure equating belief in ghosts with the question of where the universe came from is hugely helpful.

Sorry, was thinking it's cause and effect rather than the same thing. How much science fiction uses magic? If we lack the knowledge/tools to explain something them magic is the easiest answer

In many ways dark matter is magic. We have a hole in our knowledge, so we fill that gap with something currently unseeable, unknowable and therefore indisputable. Dark energy/matter is no different to God

So the rain I went to the question of creation is because it's a common question throughout human history, no matter how isolated the culture. Also the question of what comes afterwards, neither of which are knowable, so being unknowable all proposals have equal validity (validity != probability)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!