Monster Hunter
  • Does anyone know how you actually unlock the ??? materials needed to upgrade weapons? I assumed it was just hunting/capturing/researching each monster but that doesn't seem to be the case. Many upgrade trees require different stuff from different monsters. I've got to rarity 6 with my hammer on one of the paths but the next upgrade is completely ??? and I've no idea what I need.

Also, I'm getting a little sick of collecting footprints and scratches for each monster from the Scoutflies. I noticed I've not even maxed Scoutfly rank yet on some early monsters. WTF do you need to keep doing it for??? They could've doubled the speed you rank that shit up - it's just tedious in the extreme. It's more annoying because maxing it out is actually worth doing.

That's the most annoying thing in the game for me. I've noticed there are decorations that give you extra points for each track but still, I'm getting very bored with having to spam a button to pick these fucking things up all the time I'm tracking a monster. Anyone got any tips to make this less shit??
  • Parts with ? are from monsters you havent fought yet and/or a part you haven’t got from a monster. It’s probably the former but I’m nott 100% sure.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm pretty sure it's monsters not yet fought / materials not yet gathered or mined.
    Some of them won't unlock till very late in the game / getting certain things done. Think some of the charm upgrades require hard to obtain bits.

Don't have any real tips for the tracks, I'm just grabbing whatever I see. I do hope they disappear (the tracks I mean) if you've fully researched a monster.

Cool lance hunt against Nergigante. Still haven't figured the charge out, seems like it always starts and then just stops.
    Also wondering about the red glow, is that guard counter, power guard or something else?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it's monsters not yet fought / materials not yet gathered or mined. Some of them won't unlock till very late in the game / getting certain things done. Think some of the charm upgrades require hard to obtain bits. Don't have any real tips for the tracks, I'm just grabbing whatever I see. I do hope they disappear (the tracks I mean) if you've fully researched a monster. Cool lance hunt against Nergigante. Still haven't figured the charge out, seems like it always starts and then just stops. Also wondering about the red glow, is that guard counter, power guard or something else?

If the lance charges out and stops then you're probably holding down the block button too long... that's what I was doing. It's Block, tap the go buttons and release the lot.. if memory serves...
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    You might be holding R1 too long into the charge, in which case you'll immediately stop and go into a guard.  I do that a lot.

The red glow (like at 1:27) is from the evasion mantle, it gives a temporary attack boost when you evade an attack.

edit:  Whatever DAQs, maybe hurry up and join the quest next time!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks, pretty sure I'm holding the guard button during charge, must be it. At first I thought it was a monster's roar that stopped me.
    Fact that I always "solve" it by guard hopping (guard + triangle) to close the distance seems to prove that (since I'm still holding guard). Feel silly doing that but the sheathing animation is too long and bores me.

I don't have that mantle yet, hadn't thought of that.
  • Nice vid.  Some good evades during the first half.  And finished with Prance.  A true Monster Hunter!

In other news, I tried the charge finisher on a downed monster and it works really well.  Triple poke, charge, and then straight into finisher, repeat.  That finisher does a lot more damage so definitely better than repeating the triple poke.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I started watching him for the sns videos, but he seems to be good with a lot of the weapons.
    One of his sns fights against bazel is just fun to watch, doesn't give the monster a chance to get up.

What's the finisher button? Guessing that combo is triangle, triangle, triangle, guard + triangle + circle, finisher?
    I'm still working on my evades (and charge) but just in case I feel brave when a monster is down.

(also have prance now, thought the eShop was borked, turns out I can't access it with my EU account as the game is US. Could download it on my US account and the EU save picked it up)
  • Triangle for finisher/thrust attack or circle
  • Might have to leave this for a day. Home now and PS4 is on, but I’m sick and congested as all hell. Will see how I feel a better bit later. Sorry @nina.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    It's fine, take it easy.

Was getting trolled by a Rathalos, was doing a Rathian investigation to get some spike+, killed the Rathian, and for the first 30 seconds this Rathalos just keeps bumping into me. Was able to carve in the end but not sure if there were any shinies around. Was wearing the bandit mantle.
  • Nina wrote:
    Thanks, pretty sure I'm holding the guard button during charge, must be it. At first I thought it was a monster's roar that stopped me. Fact that I always "solve" it by guard hopping (guard + triangle) to close the distance seems to prove that (since I'm still holding guard). Feel silly doing that but the sheathing animation is too long and bores me. I don't have that mantle yet, hadn't thought of that.

Yea took me a while to get the hang of it but I just got into the habit of letting go of all the buttons as soon as the charge animation started. seams to do the trick ^_^ and with marathon running you can charge for days. 

If you don't know already a tip for charging... Let the charge hit the monster normally and then as it hits press triangle. You get a small window (before you leave the charge animation) and it will guaranty you hit with the full force of the charge attack (triple poke)
  • Turns out there was only one base I hadn't unlocked, which I've now found.

Now trying to work out what I need to do to get the additional optional quests to be red cleared instead of blue.
  • Do we not have a sticky post or something for who's playing on what system etc?  Who's regularly playing on Xbox?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Squeaky Bum Times & Sporepuff Clutch Episode 1

Think I'll give the elder dragons a go tonight. Been putting them off to clear up the mantle/tree expansion optionals.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Do we not have a sticky post or something for who's playing on what system etc?  Who's regularly playing on Xbox?

I’ll try and write up the full PS4 roster tomorrow - if I’m feeling better. Xbox has quite a few too, I think - you, Reg, chalice, pea, sparky, mattyj and haak, off the top of my head.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    More of an irregular occurrence at the minute, PUBG stole me away for a bit but now I've gone fully medieval with Kingdom Come: Deliverance there's no time for anything else.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm on and off. I like it but it isn't sucking me in like I thought it would. Do prefer MP though, solo is dull.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    Now trying to work out what I need to do to get the additional optional quests to be red cleared instead of blue.
    Let me know if you've figured that out. I cleared all the low rank optional quests I had, and 3* is blue completed. I think I saw it the same in some videos, so maybe it's not possible? I don't know.
    Are you doing expeditions too?

I think once you've done all the optional quests
    Spoiler:
    should unlock.

@Zinthos, thanks, I'll try that too. Had my first couple of successful charges yesterday. You should also be able to do turn during that animation right? I was doing it in the Arena, so bumped in the walls a lot.
    Also played a bit with the finisher combo, not sure if I managed it as my lance often was bouncing. I did see in the top right "finisher /finishing thrust : triangle" (forgot the exact band) so maybe I did it. Need to try it in the training hall to see how it's supposed to look like.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Dodo Kinsect glaive in Dodo gear for blast + with blast kinsect i'm sorry Paolomu.
  • Got a couple of questions, can anyone help?

What do I want to be doing with low rank materials now that they aren’t useful for forging (or are they)? Sell it all?

Is Blast damage a type of raw damage?

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'd save the mats unless you're hurting for cash. They'll be useful for making early weapons when you decide to try something new.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah, keep low rank materials. I wanted to make a ice sns yesterday and had to do some low rank great jaggra's (thanks for the event quest, bandit mantle was glowing the whole time).
    I sometimes sell if I have 50+ and need money, but keeping most for now as I know I want more different weapons.

Blast is a status effect. Some high rank monsters will have it. Like all other status /elemental damage its most useful on fast hitting weapons (because each hit has a chance to do status /elemental damage).

Raw damage is always just the number after "attack" afaik. Useful on hammers and great sword, probably others.
  • Cheers went with a raw (bone, I hope it’s raw) switchaxe in the end. Per mrsmr’s tip, I wanted a utility bat that I can carry into any fight.

Switchaxe was my original main, but I’ve got different elemental bow, lance and long sword back ups which are all fun. Hope going back to it is going to be enjoyable after the fun I’ve had with those other styles.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    A high attack should be good for the switchaxe. (it's good for every weapon tbh),
    Might be worth to make a few with the different phials. I made the jaggras one a while ago, think that's the only one with the exhaust phial, which seemed the most useful to me. You might want to go with a power phial to boost attack. Can also use attack up armour skills /charms.

Bone path often ends with the water element, it's a good path to work with though. When you've unlocked the complete trees, take a look and compare attack and sharpness. High sharpness will always do more damage, and not needing to sharpen mid combo is convenient.

There's of course armour skills that will help with that (handicraft, speed sharpening, protective polish from the top of my head).

And if you don't want an element / status, check your tree for elements / statuses that are greyed out. These won't come into play unless you use armour / charms with the "free element" skill.

I've only done a few quests with the switchaxe, but it's a lot of fun. I like explosions and just axe swinging through groups of Girros.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I've mentioned you in a reply to this thread on Twitter but thought to link to it here anyway.

Has 4 mix sets, hunting horn, great sword, sword and shield, Insect Glaive.
    They're by the Capcom UK Community Manager, and he plays a lot with Arekkz.

Great Sword one is a nice attack focused set. Just to get an idea how to get the most out of a weapon.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    re. Optionals, cos I did em all like a dickhead.  The special arena quests unlock after you capture the monster but it's hard to know what you're missing because they rotate, this is most likely why your "Completed" is blue.  It's worth checking the quest list after every hunt to see which ones have appeared so you gradually figure out which ones you need.

edit:  also, remember to check the research base because some very worthwhile requests show up there.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Didn't know about capturing. Does it matter if you capture LR or HR? Does a HR monster unlock the LR special arena quest? Guessing not. Your guild card should also show if you captured one. Might not be useful if you captured the HR monster and need the LR quest, but could help filter I guess.

Research base, do you mean the delivery part of it or the bounty part of it? Only just figured out a few days ago there's a lot of regular bounties you can assign, which give you more armor spheres etc.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Research Base as in the airship hub accessed via the world map, not the three boffins in Astera.  Not sure about HR/LR captures.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ah yeah, that base. Was there the other day and saw all the palico's from the randoms I just hunted with. They were all just chilling there, that was cute.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!