Monster Hunter
  • JonB wrote:
    I'm up to HR 7, so not that far ahead. Have opened up new areas now though.

Finding it a little too repetitive TBH. Track monster, bludgeon it to bits over the course of 15 minutes. Upgrade. Repeat. Haven't really had to think about different tactics or using a wide range of items yet. I'd expect some of their attacks to do a lot more damage, to make you be more careful and have to work openings. It's a good job the monsters themselves are such magnificent beasts.

Also, am I supposed to know how to capture a monster? It's been mentioned a few times but no real indication of how it works.

I think the main failing of the game is that it simultaneously both under and over tutorialises. By over tutorialise I mean, the difficulty ramp up is quite slight, with a roadblock here or there, so you don’t have to start really preparing for fights until many hours in. This can leave people feeling like you do, above.

By undertutorialise...you’re not the first person to ask about capturing. There’s a lot of systems and weapon sets and the game seems really weird about which things it chooses to teach you. There’s a lot that can get missed and while it’s cool the game doesn’t feel the need to hold your hand with everything, I do think it slightly missed the mark there.

Basically, for a MH game that’s supposed to bring in newcomers, it took it a bit too easy with environmental / status / item requirements early on, but didn’t do enough to make sure newcomers felt like they knew what they needed to know.

My advice, plough through into the high ranks and start joining some of our fights. I promise they’re a step up and you will need to think and strategise more.

On an unrelated note - yesterday evening’s MoHan session was all done with a lance. Started light with it, and by the end of the evening had done a bazel and 2 elders. Woo mama, the lance is super fun.
  • I've done a couple of captures now. Turns out as soon as you select a capture investigation it gives you the full tutorial. Best to just try things out sometimes I suppose.
  • Repetition aside, truth is I could quite happily play this all day. It's scarily absorbing.

Made myself a cup of tea and put it on again at 10pm last night. Switched it off just before midnight and only then noticed that I'd completely forgotten to drink the tea.
  • Settling in for a few hours on this now.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    What platform?
  • JonB wrote:
    Settling in for a few hours on this now.

Year - saw you responding to SoS jobbies. If you ever wanna coop, just throw me a message - I don’t mind doing lower level quests at all.
  • Apologies to @isanbard - internet has absolutely shat the bed here. Dunno what’s up with it.
  • JonB wrote:
    Year - saw you responding to SoS jobbies. If you ever wanna coop, just throw me a message - I don’t mind doing lower level quests at all.
    I'm going back again now. About to go after this Legiana.
  • JonB wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    I'm going back again now. About to go after this Legiana.

Cheers for the hunts - was nice to chat and take down some monstahs.
  • Yes. Good to finally sort it out.
  • I’d really like to join the hunt tonight, if any Clawless members are about?
  • Maybe about an hour, around 8.30 UK time.
  • That would be grand Jon. It would be really nice to speak to you, both in general and as someone who was a relative MH noob and has found a deep well to drink from with this one.
  • Sorry, Nick, other things ran late. Just gone on now but probably only for a quick half hour and chat not really an option due to lateness here and small house.
  • Thanks for the games today, guys, and sorry I had to run at the end - was getting late. Hopefully will catch you all tomorrow, and if you want a partner for ZM, Jon, I’d be more than happy to help.
  • I've done that bit. Thought I may as well get it out the way. Straightforward again, even if it confuses you by telling you do a million different things.

So, high ranking hunts are now on the menu.
  • Yeah Boi! Welcome to the HR club.
  • Some great hunts this morning capped off by an absolutely epic final fight with Curtis. A race against the clock which all went to shit at the end and yet, somehow, we ended up victorious. Curtis said it best at the end: This is why we play Monster Hunter.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I've more or less played this from waking up till dinner today (it was raining, valid excuse) and am still tempted to jump online again for a hunt or 2.

Great games everyone I played with, but please Daq, practice with that great sword a bit ehh?!! (just kidding).

Shame I missed that hunt with Curtis, Cinty. Was it the same one I double carted on earlier?
  • Yeah - same one. I decided I had to grab that bastard or I’d end up sulking. We still had a cart, I think, and were very close to another cart or two especially near the end, but we just about got there.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Seeing as the two carts first time were mine, I expected you to get it done. Good job on that.

You're not around now are you?
  • Thanks for the games, Nina. Some good hunts there.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah good stuff. Getting close to my final Nergi (a n g r y b o i) lance, just a gem, horn and talon I think.

Still wish this game had less flying monsters, I'm missing beasts like Zinogre, Tigrex, Lagi etc. I'm using way too many flash pods to get things done. Really enjoy the Odo fight, but there's not much like it. Fingers crossed for DLC.
  • Would love a Tigrex - such fond memories of him from MH Freedom 2 (I think). And yeah - more weird dragon cats / giant baboons / sea monsters pls.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm always too tired to manage evening hunts lately but I only have Xeno to slay then I'm in end-game territory.

Vaal I found the easiest Elder Dee as long as you bring some nulberries. His attacks feel more telegraphed than Great Jagras.
  • Was finding this a bit of a slog with the insect glaive solo, so changed to bow last night.

And well, let’s just say I can do more than one hunt an evening now.
  • Yar - it’s well worth switching weapons if you feel things becoming a slog. I started switch axe and it was cool, but it wasn’t until I went bow that everything clicked. It stayed that way until I reached endgame, where I found the joy of the lance. And now the hunting horn. And the hammer.

Point is, find something you like, and don’t be afraid to experiment. If it’s a slog, mix it up.
  • Hammer looks like such fun.

That bow though. Thought it looked a bit basic in previous games, and couldn’t see it sticking in training, but when on an actual hunt it really shines. I love dodging more than blocking, and being at a safer distance makes everything less ‘mashy’ for me. I would just be clipping through the big bastard, flying all over the place and hoping for the best.

Great sword always felt good as well as you had to plan your hits in advanced, but played that so much in the first couple.
  • Agreed with all that - I enjoy the moment to moment play of the bow. Keeping your distance, doing constant damage, dodging out of danger and assessing the situation - should I get close and do quick shots along the side? Should I try to sleep / paralyse it? Is there enough recovery time between the monster animations to get off a dragon piercer?

It’s a wonderful weapon, that shines with proper analogue control.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!