Monster Hunter
  • MoHunGen3DS is go.
    You better not have betrayed me Tempy.
  • Um

When I inquired about Monster Hunter nobody told me there was a talking cat that does puns.
    Forum you have let me down.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Generations did make it over here hup hup

ach you know what I mean, Cross Cross
  • Um

When I inquired about Monster Hunter nobody told me there was a talking cat that does puns.
    Forum you have let me down.

Oh yeah Palicos are great, you can dress them up and take photos with them for your player card, also you get another one and then you can send them on silly quests and also then they can get in a tank? play a big horn?
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
  • Love it. Never timed an absolute guard like those guys but it looks amazing to watch
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Heh wait, can you transfer X (generations) data to XX? Might be worth continuing with Gen after all if that's the case.
  • Like the bag
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    All over it like a virulent rash.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message

Surprise!
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    The jury is definitely out on this one right now
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    It's not a main game right? Wasn't sure about that trailer, felt a bit off, but still, more Monster Hunter.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've been eager to start MoHun school for ages but this didn't jibe right. Where's all the fabulous armour and strong colour palette. Feels like MoHun gone gritty.
  • It's been confirmed it's definitely got everything the regular games have, including all 14 weapons
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Why have people got reservations about this one then? It looks like Monster Hunter to me, although I've only really had a dabble in Tri on the Wii so I may have a case of noob eye.
  • To my knowledge it's a spin off of sorts, although a legit one and by far the most ambitious.

There was PS3/360 spin offs in the past that sort of went by unnoticed.

It might be that or the fact that for hardcore fans it appears to be a bit Westernised to widen the audience. Might upset the core players.

All of that's a bit of a guess from what I've read though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • That plus home versions have never sold well, and that's PS2 and Wii games, two of the highest selling home consoles ever.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Bit grey for a start, compared to the festival of colour that is Generations.

They've gone for a big open world instead of discrete environments you load between which makes a lot of sense and is something I've always said they should do for a proper console release.

But, they've also said that quests are going to very drop in/drop out style co-op which sounds vaguely like they're moving away from some of the commitment and determination that the series is known for.

None of those things are inherently bad, and there's a lot to like too, like a suggested increase in mobility which follows the trend from 4U and Generations, plus all 14 weapons are definitely into it is for all intents and purposes a full MH title.

It just needs to retain enough of its DNA, but I am not sure Capcom have the best track record for that. Too much compromise and it stops being Monster Hunter, which has more than just "big monsters to fight" as part of its construction. It's why when people saw Anthem footage and said it looked like there was a little MH in there, I couldn't see it, cos big scary wildlife might be the core of the MH system, but hundreds of games have big monsters and aren't Big Daddy MoHan.

So stick me as cautiously optimistic. The series could do with some changes to make it fit consoles, but hopefully they aren't compromising what makes it compelling in the first place. Hard to extrapolate too much from just a trailer, but there weren't any hunters blasting the faces off dragons with Gunlances, so there's room for improvement.
  • I hope that is helpful and not too particular. I can list the stuff I like about MH if that will help further clarify.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    There's just to little known about it yet to be really able to say something about it. Tempy makes good points. I'm not too sure about the open world myself, but we'll see.

There's also XX coming, and that's a definite purchase from me, so this has to be something that goes along that but doesn't lose the MH charm for me to buy it. It's nice to see it on different consoles for sure, another reason to go for a Ps4 for me.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    I'm definitely up for a more open world, loading between separate areas should be consigned to the past along with the hardware that caused those constraints in the first place.

Definitely looks like it's being Westernised though, which could be fine, just gotta hope it doesn't lose the series' charm in the process.
  • The open world all depends on how they do it. Being able to get respite from Monsters is a much needed part of the flow, hopefully the maps are still essentially the same but they just don't have the loading - tunnels and crevices and rivers and cliffs used to escape in real time as opposed to forcing a load. Will take some smart level design to make things feel as good as they do, not sure they'll be able to get away with things like the fall into the pit of the volcano in 4U for example.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The more muted colour palette is fine by me. 4U and Generations were almost neon in places. The only thing wrong with that trailer from my perspective is the lack of a Switch logo at the end.

Wikipedia says it'll get a Windows and Xbox One version, so I won't have to put up the cash for a PS4, but MoHun on a Microsoft platform is... dirty. Wrong. Blasphemous, even.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh, and top of my Wish List That'll Never Happen™: cross-platform play. Maybe we'll see Windows and Xbox players together, but odds on there'll be a split between Sony and Microsoft camps.
  • MH Online, Frontier Online, and Frontier G were all on either 360 or PC over in Japan though, they just don't trust the West with it.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    The open world all depends on how they do it. Being able to get respite from Monsters is a much needed part of the flow, hopefully the maps are still essentially the same but they just don't have the loading

Surely the open world will lend itself towards a more organic escape route. Paragliding and climbing trees spring to mind. Looking forward to seeing what Capcom do with this.
  • As I said, cautiously optimistic. It needs to still be Monster Hunter, y'know. Mixing that with Western Open World design will require some finesse.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    MH Online, Frontier Online, and Frontier G were all on either 360 or PC over in Japan though, they just don't trust the West with it.

Yeah, that was always a weird decision to me. Putting a MH game on 360 in Japan is like releasing a new 32X game and wondering why it's not selling.

Ah well. Fingers crossed at least one of XX and World gets a Western release.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!