• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Except for Jo Jo... Of course.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • No that's also bullshit. The option is there, so of course you exploit it, but it really shouldn't be there most of the time.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I always agreed and without getting on some ggpo with Hilly and having him show me exactly how it stays tactical and not simply who blinks first I can't make a definite call. But he does tell me that all juggles can be flipped out of and is the choice of when to do so that matters

However for me SF has always been about territory management, even if juggles are as he describes, you do place a tricky barrier to entry. I can't simply step back and forward to check range and goad you in, I have to be able to juggle and also to know each juggle to an extent I can weigh up the pros and cons of flipping out at various times
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • My position is really that aerial juggleness is the direct cause of massive combowang, in an era when hitstun has been significantly tamed since SFII. And I fucking hate combowang - for the receiver, it means waiting for it to finish, for the performer it means an obscure kind of bemani rote learning is mandatory. Bollocks to that.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    No that's also bullshit. The option is there, so of course you exploit it, but it really shouldn't be there most of the time.

What irks you about juggling? Is it the aesthetic?

When I first noticed the trend in Virtua Fighter 2, I thought 'fuck yeah' that looks cool... 

But then I thought about the idea of a high trained fighter losing 40% plus stamina (as abstracted by a green percentage bar, but lets not go there today), because their opponent had some how managed to defy the laws of physics, and had used the said supernatural advantage to land a barrage of meticulously considered strikes on the left pinky toe/shin of the flighted pugilist...

But, don't mind that, look at the Bruce Lee shuffle the man dun' buss, when he finishes the combo... : P

Blatant.
  • It's aesthetic to a point but as I've just suggested, it also means the juggler has to snap into pattern mode on the fly and I just think that's shit. I've been doing it for years, spent hours practicing it, and it's been a categorical waste of energy.

If Oro didn't have his chicken sequence in 3S he'd be nigh piss tier, only saved by reasonably decent poke range, dat double-jump and dat backdash. That is not good design.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Your point does stand, because you've obviously put the time in to learning that side of Third Strike, but that 'moment' where one cedes control to forces beyond their reckoning is a key component of any game or sport.

It sounds like it's not just juggling that gets to you (though I'm aggregating your gripes here). Your argument, to me, appears to be more about how dedication is rewarded...
  • It's more about the kind of dedication rewarded, I think. I want to be beaten by repeated acts of positional/predictive skill, not fucking input robotics.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    It's more about the kind of dedication rewarded, I think. I want to be beaten by repeated acts of positional/predictive skill, not fucking input robotics.

One could argue that the defense, ultra and damage scaling system in SF4 is effectively an ode to that sentiment, and... Well...

'The less said', etc...
  • Damage scaling, while vital, is only part of the story here.

My favourite matches to watch and participate in are always raw footsie things, the tension is delicious. I guess I shoulda taken up fencing as a kid.
  • How many reads/punishes/displays of yomi should one make before KOing someone then?

Most fighters these days it seems like 2-4 mistakes will cost you a round depending on the skill of the person dishing out the beats. I don't think that's too few for most games. Anymore and the amount of time it would take to end a round before timeout would start getting close to the wire perhaps?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I honestly wouldn't resent a return to higher damage with more limited punish extension.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Damage scaling, while vital, is only part of the story here. My favourite matches to watch and participate in are always raw footsie things, the tension is delicious. I guess I shoulda taken up fencing as a kid.

Nidhogg is jokes, btw... Just throwing that out there...

Where are you, Sas! :}
  • Brooks wrote:
    I honestly wouldn't resent a return to higher damage with more limited punish extension.

And under these conditions one could hugely expand feint move options, which I think is really cool. Definitely opens a path to more nuanced expressiveness for players.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    How many reads/punishes/displays of yomi should one make before KOing someone then? Most fighters these days it seems like 2-4 mistakes will cost you a round depending on the skill of the person dishing out the beats. I don't think that's too few for most games. Anymore and the amount of time it would take to end a round before timeout would start getting close to the wire perhaps?

Sounds like a fucking Snake Eyez match...
  • Sounds like you wanna be playing Raphael in Bewbs Calibur to me then.

Edit: @B obvs.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think Brooks' bemani reference sums it up. Assuming everyone ha perfect muscle memory then there's no difference between juggling and chipping. But not everyone can, why make frame counting a barrier to entry for the standard player. It's easier to judge distance than it is to memorise a juggle. We all marvel at Umehara vs Jason, but that wasn't a bunch of reactions, that was one reaction that involved around 25-30 inputs
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'll have to take your word for that Roj, the state of that IP is beyond my ken.
  • But yes, Cock's post there articulates my annoyance pretty well. Combowang is a mechanical exercise, and I want to see much more of the organic inna ma fightmans.
  • The IP is rank, but the character meets the criteria you were describing.
  • Most organic fighting I can think of is probably something like Fight Night Round 3. Trad vs fighter engine design revolves around the startup, active and recovery frame processes that pretty much ensures combowang becomes a thing. The only thing controlling the length of said wang is the hitstun, but you cant dial it back too far otherwise you end up in the crazy world of things beings punishable on hit.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Most organic fighting I can think of is probably something like Fight Night Round 3. Trad vs fighter engine design revolves around the startup, active and recovery frame processes that pretty much ensures combowang becomes a thing. The only thing controlling the length of said wang is the hitstun, but you cant dial it back too far otherwise you end up in the crazy world of things beings punishable on hit.

Man... That game is underrated.

And only FN3 mind you... They badgered the controls in successive versions.
    That game holds up well, even now, but it's lacking something... 

You know... Like the kind of tangible quality that made Pro Evo a better game than FIFA for so long...

I wish the likes of Valve made that engine, because someone would have modded it into one of the great games by now.

Instead, FN3 looks like a huge missed opportunity...
  • Juggling's definitley in IV, you just have to be Smug. http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/apr/10/smug-lands-one-most-impressive-dudley-combos-weve-ever-seen-ends-round-13-seconds/
    Brooks wrote:
    I honestly wouldn't resent a return to higher damage with more limited punish extension.

Me too. Fucking love footsies that mean something.
    JRPC wrote:
    Now sensibly I should set up the 360, attach the £180 tournament stick I never used and play it on that. In reality, I'm going to buy Ultra on PS4 with a new stick. There's no going back-gen.

Ahhh I see, you're forcing my hand to buy that PS4 stick, I like your style.

shit..except I just realised Ultra aint on PS4. Would you consider last genning it in this case? I'm a good teacher!
  • Brooks wrote:
    My position is really that aerial juggleness is the direct cause of massive combowang, in an era when hitstun has been significantly tamed since SFII. And I fucking hate combowang - for the receiver, it means waiting for it to finish, for the performer it means an obscure kind of bemani rote learning is mandatory. Bollocks to that.

Hey leave BM out of it! For iidx at least nearly every play you'll see is random pattern, so playing on the fly, adapting etc, within certain restrictions ofc (#of notes, note type blah blah).

I get your point tho, perhaps if there were a new type of juggling system where it wasn't so arbitrary (this move juggles after that) but rather more intuitive, on the fly. So, like, erm, yeah not sure what that would be like, but something where juggles *can* be done, but to see someone pull off a long juggle is due to reacting on the fly to changes in the opponents crumple / air time / whatever.

Waffling a bit.
  • What we really need is another fighters destiny.

...wot?
  • As I typed that I knew I'd find your challenge, I definitely meant a less interesting bemani than you're familiar with.
  • Too easy to bait out, for sure. I spend little time on the beast these days but it still occupies my top 3 in some form.
  • Now sensibly I should set up the 360, attach the £180 tournament stick I never used and play it on that. In reality, I'm going to buy Ultra on PS4 with a new stick. There's no going back-gen.
    Ahhh I see, you're forcing my hand to buy that PS4 stick, I like your style. shit..except I just realised Ultra aint on PS4. Would you consider last genning it in this case? I'm a good teacher!

Yeah, totally up for that.

Having said that, Ultra's is headed our way also, so if you're buying a stick for 5 anyway....?

Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    JRPC wrote:
    Now sensibly I should set up the 360, attach the £180 tournament stick I never used and play it on that. In reality, I'm going to buy Ultra on PS4 with a new stick. There's no going back-gen.
    Ahhh I see, you're forcing my hand to buy that PS4 stick, I like your style.
    Ultra's is headed our way also, so if you're buying a stick for 5 anyway....?

Amazon are doing PS4 HRAP's for £84.
  • If SFV is playable at Capcom Cup, then it's probably coming sooner than expected. Late summer maybe.

Looks like I'll have to put some money aside for either a PS4 or new PC.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!