Playstation 4 [The all you can eat buffet thread]
  • I have a mini review in my 100 best games list, as it happens:

Horizon: Zero Dawn: I wasn't expecting all that much from this before playing. The overly familiar open world format is the reason, and it does follow that a little too closely, with its map full of icons, sub quests, light RPG elements and so on. But crucially it understands how to make that formula really work. It doesn't overwhelm you with systems for a start. Every weapon, ammo type and ability has a clear function, all of which are genuinely useful in the right situation. Then the impressive enemies are superbly designed - each with a variety of components that react to particular attacks, or weaknesses that can be targeted. Getting to know how each one works is a big part of the game, with the resulting battles often frantic and dependent on a combination of planning, improvisation and stylish execution. This makes going off track and exploring compelling, because you don't just head towards a point on the map, you forge a path through packs of robo-beasts, using stealth, traps and long or short range combat. Then there's the landscape itself, which not only looks stunning but has great variety, and keeps shifting the terrain (cover, elevation) to change how you approach your foes. It's an amazing world to be in, even if the story is fairly ordinary, along with the quests and the human enemy AI. It's all forgivable when the core experience is so exhilarating.
  • It’s in your top 100?! Wow, you clearly loved it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    It’s in your top 100?! Wow, you clearly loved it.

100 all time?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Indeed. I had a great time with it.
  • My nepwhew has it. I promised to swap Lost Legacy for it once I’m done with that. Although haven’t even started that yet.
  • Open world puts me off also isn’t it the killzone team?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Aye, not a great track record but it did surprise a lot of people and for some great reviews. I definitely wanna try/play it but it’s not a priority at all for me.
  • Had a lot of fun with it also. After Bloodborne prob my fav exp on the console.
  • Think I will go for yakuza 0 instead 
    If I buy this on a made up uk psn account I can play it on my main us psn account ya?
    Will sign up for a new account and get the 14 day psn plus trial to grab the discount

• Open world puts me off also isn’t it the killzone team?

The Open World design is a bit too Ubisoft for my tastes, and I’m not a fan of a couple of the story missions, but the combat is genuinely excellent. Hunting and combatting “animals” is thrilling and they often come across as properly dangerous and unpredictable. The game works best when you force yourself to adapt and vary tactics, switching weapons and traps on the fly, and seeing where the cards fall.

I still prefer Yakuza (and Nier above that) but Horizon is definitely worth picking up eventually.
  • I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again; for all the flak Guerilla get, they are better than most devs at conveying weight and heft in their games. Horizon: Zero Dawn is a cracking title. Bits of it are off; it was madness for Edge to praise the storytelling when most of it is done with static headshots of characters talking, but the world is excellent, and everything in it feels substantial.

That news about Housemarque is a real shame, but I look forward to seeing what they turn their hand to next. It’s pretty much a guaranteed purchase for me.
  • Yar, the “weight and heft” of their games is a good shout.
  • @JonB, don't buy Titanfall 2. I sent it to you yesterday after the headphone debacle with a couple of other things. The lady hasn't sent them back and we think she's kept them. Although quite what use they are without the USB adapter is fairly bewildering. If they do make their way here they're yours as well but I'll pm you an Amazon code for some wonga cos of the reduced Nier and hassle. Sorry!
  • That's amazing, Stoph. Thanks so much. But you really don't owe me anything. You were doing me a favour to begin with.

That's really shit them not sending the headphones back though. I don't suppose there's much you can do about it.
  • I'd like dibs on buying it when you're done, Jon.  Maybe I could split the fee between you and Stoph.  Quite fancy the campaign but don't want to go digital, even though the current price is tempting.  Got far too much to play as it is though, so 'at some point' would be fine...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I though this looked like a cool game, if only for leveraging mobile phones as a control device - https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/10/hidden-agenda-review/
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I’ve been getting through the lost legacy a couple of hours at a time every Sunday with my daughter at my side.  I know there’s some fruity language in there but apart from that it’s really opened her eyes to what’s out there in the wild world.   She loves the fact that the leads are strong girls and has associated with it far more than she did with the structurally identical U4. It’s been thoroughly enjoyable but I really had to grit my teeth and power through the first section.  Naughty dog seem to mistake shitty opening levels or prologues for clever grown up pacing. Apart from tlou all their games have wonky openings and this is the worst offender yet.  If you’ve tried to play it and bounced off the game from the first hour or two I’d really recommend you try get back to it because it really does do more U4 very well.
  • In fact due to said daughter watching the game she has now gone off looking at India stuff herself and asked if we could go there on a holiday.  I’m gonna book us a trip (just me and her) and surprise her with it at Christmas I think.
  • Brilliant story - how old is your daughter?
    Mine is 2 & half so wondering when she might start taking an interest

• I loved the opening and bounced off the lack of push up to win
    The Forum Herald™
  • Brilliant story - how old is your daughter?
    Mine is 2 & half so wondering when she might start taking an interest

She’s 9. I know there’s swears in it and a fair whack of matinee style violence but she’s really taken to it all.

Mario on the switch holds no interest to her though yet my son (who’s 18 months older) adores this. He sits next to me scouring the area for moons or purple coins - he’s been a genuine help.

Age wise - they both showed interest in games from around 7 or so. They both started with idevice style games and moved on from there. Although saying that I do remember powering through the final few stages of the original modern warfare with my son on my lap at 4am on a Sunday morning. He was a couple of months old and had woken and wouldn’t settle. I took him downstairs to give my wife some peace and cracked on with shooting computer men in the face. Don’t think it’s had any major impact on him
  • my daughter as at the age where if I try to do anything on any device she just wants to grab it off me, will give it a few years.  Do play simple pepa pig type games on her kids kindle which keeps her attention

• jizz. in my pants

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Looks like Sony are finally releasing a VR pack that has the camera and controllers etc. Comes with Skyrim VR as well, which I didn't even know was a thing. Updated headset too.
    psvr-skyrim-bundle-1021x580.jpg
  • Hello...

How much will that be though?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    450$ says the page. Don't know what that is in your imperialist fascist spacepounds.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Put in a Fleshlight and they'd fly off the shelves.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Mmm mudcrab sexy times.
  • https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2018/playstation-in-concert/

Don’t miss this LIVE WORLD PREMIERE event, as the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra performs the sensational soundtracks of PlayStation games, within the iconic surroundings of London’s Royal Albert Hall.

Featuring favourite themes from chart-topping games, including: Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian, Uncharted, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, LittleBigPlanet and Horizon Zero Dawn, this exhilarating live show – with a full symphony orchestra, guest presenter and spectacular light display – takes you on a musical journey from vast deserts and overgrown ruins, to ancient artefacts and futuristic landscapes, celebrating some of the most memorable gaming music from the past 20 years.
  • To say playstation has some of the most memorable gaming music of the past 20 years is pushing it a bit quite frankly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!