Playstation 4 [The all you can eat buffet thread]
  • Andy wrote:
    The sale that’s been on for over a week? Someone should’ve mentioned it at the time.
    There is an additional bit just for the weekend. Not a lot in it though.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    Where is it on the scale of a game I haven’t played for 14 years and one I haven’t played at all? Dunno, sorry. :( It’s odd and basic. Bear in mind I haven’t played it since a few days after it came out, and didn’t play much (or well) but it puts you against multiple enemies, while not really equipping you with the move set to deal with multiple enemies. The only successful tactic seems to be to manoeuvre yourself so the enemies are lined up and only one can reach you. I’m maybe being unfair. The game teaches you almost nothing about it, so it was a while before I realised there was a dodgeroll.
    I've just watched a couple of vids and I'm on the fence again now.  Combat looks slightly dodgy, rather than simply fun-but-outdated like Ryse.  I think I'll let the discount slip for now and maybe grab it at a similar price next year.

Are we talking Ass Creed: Origins?
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hellblade innit
  • Ah, combat has never been Ninja Theory’s thing.
    The Forum Herald™
  • That’s not to say they hAvent made good games. But the combat has always been a bore
    The Forum Herald™
  • Okay.

JonB wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    The sale that’s been on for over a week? Someone should’ve mentioned it at the time.
    There is an additional bit just for the weekend. Not a lot in it though.
    No, there’s not. That’s not the PS+ sale he was talking about, though.
  • Are you Bi Polar?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Ninja Theory made DmC. It’s far from being the best in the series, but once you have all weapons and stuff and play on harder mode, it can be a blast.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Ninja Theory made DmC. It’s far from being the best in the series, but once you have all weapons and stuff and play on harder mode, it can be a blast.

Played it, completed it, can’t remember anyone saying the best thing about it was the combat.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Andy wrote:
    It’s entirely combat.

It’s not is it, lol.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob clearly hasn’t played it.
  • I played it to completion ... as I think I mentioned. Check my trophy list.

Is it entirely based in one location? If not it’s not entirely combat based by any definition.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Ok, it’s not 100% combat cos it’s not a vs fighter which is the only genre that is 100% combat (more or less - some have story modes etc). There is some rubbish platforming and rubbish puzzles (maybe). But at its heart it’s about the combat, just like other DMCs. And Bayonetta. And Ninja Gaiden. Etc etc, they’re all brawler type fighter type games. 

And DmC does combat alright.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    How noticable is the difference from ps4 to ps4 pro in terms of performance outside of 4k. I dont have a 4k tv but due to the nature of a work bonus I might end up getting a ps4 or pro as part of a package instead of cash. Obviously, the difference could be used on something else so I'm just curious is the ps4 good enough as I have no intention of a 4k tv for a while.

I picked up a Pro with Fifa and CoD in the Black Friday sales, replacing a slim. No 4k TV for me either. I can't tell if there is any improvement in image quality, but I have seen some increased frame rates in very intensive games (there are a couple of bits in D2 where there are a lot of particle effects, and I don't see dropped frames there anymore). Apart from that I've got a brand new controller and a 1tb HD.

With the slim and games trade in, it's only cost me around £100, so nearly worth the money. I'd say if you were upgrading from one of the launch PS4s it would be worth it, maybe less so if you have a slim with the new pad.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Ok, it’s not 100% combat cos it’s not a vs fighter which is the only genre that is 100% combat (more or less - some have story modes etc). There is some rubbish platforming and rubbish puzzles (maybe). But at its heart it’s about the combat, just like other DMCs. And Bayonetta. And Ninja Gaiden. Etc etc, they’re all brawler type fighter type games.  And DmC does combat alright.

I’ll agree it does it ok. No ones claiming DMC is the best of the franchise though?
    The Forum Herald™
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    How noticable is the difference from ps4 to ps4 pro in terms of performance outside of 4k. I dont have a 4k tv but due to the nature of a work bonus I might end up getting a ps4 or pro as part of a package instead of cash. Obviously, the difference could be used on something else so I'm just curious is the ps4 good enough as I have no intention of a 4k tv for a while.
    I picked up a Pro with Fifa and CoD in the Black Friday sales, replacing a slim. No 4k TV for me either. I can't tell if there is any improvement in image quality, but I have seen some increased frame rates in very intensive games (there are a couple of bits in D2 where there are a lot of particle effects, and I don't see dropped frames there anymore). Apart from that I've got a brand new controller and a 1tb HD. With the slim and games trade in, it's only cost me around £100, so nearly worth the money. I'd say if you were upgrading from one of the launch PS4s it would be worth it, maybe less so if you have a slim with the new pad.

I have nothing under the telly at the moment except a wii u (!) Basically my boss has offered a decent enough bonus but if I take cash I'll see roughly half after tax and as there are a few things me and the wife need round the house we figured we'd ask if we could get the company to buy the stuff - which they said yes on. So after going through the list I found I've enough to pick up a ps4 or I can throw in some extra cash and go for the pro. So its either a free ps4 with a game or a pro costing an extra 100 euro or so. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any stretch and wont be getting a 4k tv for a while as my current tv suits fine. So upshot, I was wondering if a lot of games have improvements in terms of frame rate or is it just a few. As much as the higher specs is appealing, the 100 euro could fund 2 more games for under the tree.
    SFV - reddave360
  • @Bob: Nah, far from it. But I didn’t think Ninja Theory did a bad job of it. They might not have done the best combat, but they’ve done ok, in my opinion of course.  I guess you’re right in that it hasn’t particularly been their thing across all their games, though, which I suppose was your point.
  • It was but don’t let Andy’s autism get in the way of that .
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That makes you sound like a ten year old, Bob. Sort that shit out.
  • That makes you sound like a ten year old, Bob. Sort that shit out.

Then you’ve read it wrong, or not got the context. Which is possibly ironic.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Give a fuck bout context lad, that's two tonight.
  • Two tonight? No idea. See how context is important? Irony over load.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bi-polar, autistic, covering yourself in glory with the insults tonight, Bob.

Ninja Theory’s games are pretty much all combat heavy. All about the combat. Saying that the combat isn’t great doesn’t leave much else to compel players to the end. If you didn’t think the combat was much to write home about in DmC, why the fuck did you play it to completion?

You maybe don’t like their combat design, but for a developer that makes games all about combat, it doesn’t make much sense to suggest that combat is their weak point. It’s like saying driving is Criterion’s weak point, or that shooting isn’t Infity Ward’s forte.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Two tonight? No idea. See how context is important? Irony over load.

Bi-poler, then autistic. It makes you look like a dick, but I'm guessing that was the point or something.
  • There’s no context required, if you want to argue, do it like an adult (and use words like fanny), that’s unacceptable.
  • Just taking that last paragraph .. it’s not .. because they do that well. 

Tim Henman kept playing tennis. It’s what he did, clearly he was shit at it.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!