Playstation 4 [The all you can eat buffet thread]
  • nick_md wrote:
    Including leaving the console in standby when not in use, costs just over $10 a year. For this price, everything updates in the background, and most games and apps can be instantly resumed from where I left them, no waiting through all those fucking logo screens, and then selecting my save and waiting for that to load.
    My PS4 boots from cold to fully operational in a matter of seconds, it's not really any bother, and if it is, I just use the time to roll another one or pick my arse or something. I'll also take the £10 cheers. It seems like nothing, I know, but it bothers me that the light is on or pulsing, and I'm paying for that fucker.

It took 7 seconds to load to the log in screen, and 13 seconds for me to be able to start playing Sonic Mania when turning on from rest mode.

From a cold boot, it took 45 seconds to reach the log in screen, and 1 min 35 to be able to start playing the game.

This is for a fully updated game. Using rest mode, my games are up to date whenever I turn it on. If I power off, I may have to wait several more minutes to be able to play. Plus I know my pad will be fully charged. For $10 (just over £7) I think that's well worth paying, but if you don't fair enough I guess.
  • 1 min 35??? How did you survive mate.
  • Plus surely the time between 45 to 1.35 is down to the game itself?

Dunno, but I do know I can be playing whatever I want in a blink of an eye (or a roll of a smoke) from cold. If it needs updating, meh, update and I'll get back to it. The world moves too fast as it is.
  • Dante has a borked PS4. It takes my PS4 mere seconds from cold boot to game selection menu. 

My PS4 is borked in other ways though. PSN Store is always rubbish and doesn’t fully work. As it was on my 2 PS3s and previous PS4. No one else seems to have constant issues.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Dante has a borked PS4. It takes my PS4 mere seconds from cold boot to game selection menu.  My PS4 is borked in other ways though. PSN Store is always rubbish and doesn’t fully work. As it was on my 2 PS3s and previous PS4. No one else seems to have constant issues.

What's mere seconds in actual seconds?
  • There are actual KPIs and many meetings are had around this kinda thing. You'd be surprised how many players you lose with just a few seconds extra load time. I think that's more true of F2P though, as with paid titles you're invested, so will stick around to at least check how the game is.
  • Lads, what are we doing here, measuring console boot up times? on a Friday night too.

Roll a fat one, have a beer, stick a game on, do something! ;)
  • I'm watching Boro-Leeds, I needed something to liven up my night.
  • nick_md wrote:
    You'd be surprised how many players you lose with just a few seconds extra load time.

I wouldn’t. Quite a few times lately I’ve thought about having a quick go of GTAV before remembering just how long it will take to load, and sacking it off. I don’t know how people who don’t use the sleep mode ever finished it.
  • Andy wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    You'd be surprised how many players you lose with just a few seconds extra load time.

I wouldn’t. Quite a few times lately I’ve thought about having a quick go of GTAV before remembering just how long it will take to load, and sacking it off. I don’t know how people who don’t use the sleep mode ever finished it.

Fuck, you should try it online!
    As great as it is and has amazingly good and strange stuff to do (parachute cars on targets etc) the load times when changing events are silly long.
  • Anyone know anything about PS4s just turning themselves off without warning? Happened twice now, which is a bit of a concern as I'm sure it must be out of warrantee.
  • AJ wrote:
    Anyone know anything about PS4s just turning themselves off without warning? Happened twice now, which is a bit of a concern as I'm sure it must be out of warrantee.

Sounds like over heating, is it well ventilated?
  • That was my initial reaction, but it's on an open shelf with space all around it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yep, was a settings thing, cheers all.

I use Sony wireless ones for PS4.  Not sure why they're showing at £90, I got mine for £40.  They're pretty good for gaming, but don't pay more than £60 for them.
    Would that also have the game sound through those or just chat? I just feel that if I want to go for something in that price range, I'm better off with getting a mic that I can connect to my regular headphones, which are pretty good soundwise, this had been confirmed by Skerret.

That's why I was wondering about the cheap options that just cover 1 ear, those will probably be chat only. Was just wondering about the sound quality and mic quality.

• Nina wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

I use Sony wireless ones for PS4.  Not sure why they're showing at £90, I got mine for £40.  They're pretty good for gaming, but don't pay more than £60 for them.
    Would that also have the game sound through those or just chat? I just feel that if I want to go for something in that price range, I'm better off with getting a mic that I can connect to my regular headphones, which are pretty good soundwise, this had been confirmed by Skerret.

That's why I was wondering about the cheap options that just cover 1 ear, those will probably be chat only. Was just wondering about the sound quality and mic quality.

You’ll get game and chat audio with that headset - it’s the one I use. You can switch levels if the game audio or the chat audio are too loud, as well. General sound quality is good, and you can take advantage of the PS4 surround sound app if you use ‘em.

Unfortunately, I’m no expert, so I can’t recommend any one-ear thingies. Sorry.
  • Nina wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

You’ll get game and chat audio with that headset - it’s the one I use. You can switch levels if the game audio or the chat audio are too loud, as well. General sound quality is good, and you can take advantage of the PS4 surround sound app if you use ‘em.

Unfortunately, I’m no expert, so I can’t recommend any one-ear thingies. Sorry.

In the sound and audio settings on ps4 you can choose to have all sounds (chat and audio) thru the headset or yoy can have just chat.
    Itll be in your quick menu too (hold ps button during gameplay) but the option is greyed out unless you have a headset connected.
    (even that little one that comes with ps4 will do just to get the option)

The Sony golds also known as the stereo headset 2.0 or even tbe platinums are excellent for sound quality and even has an app on the store with diffrent sound banks for its 7.1 surround feature.

Edit: that lunk to amazon seems to be selling them for a bit more as its less stock, i got mine when they had lots more stock (18 available) and got them for a little over £70, checked them next day and they were £120 (the price of the newer platinum ones) with stock lowerd exceptionaly (2 available)
    Might be worth looking elsewere for them?

I will say also they are quite fragile as there mainly plastic but i find them real comfy.
    (although mine were sat on by a kid and are held together by duct tape on both sides)
  • AJ wrote:
    That was my initial reaction, but it's on an open shelf with space all around it.

Dude if its not overheating iv no idea whats up with it, have you tried rebuilding the database from safe mode to see if you have a corrupted file or something?
    (hold power till it beeps a second time when turning on to get a safe mode menu)
    Thats the only other tbing i can think of.
  • Thanks, I'll give it a go, but it seems unlikely as it was mid-game. Maybe it's collected a load of dust inside or something.
  • Wish I'd known that rebuilding the database deleted all your settings and folders, I would have made a mental note of them before doing it. Now I have to figure out what's on which storage device.

Edit: nope, it's just some of them. Fucking Sony and their inconsistent shit.
  • Mine used to turn itself off mid game and go into rest mode. It did it whilst in warranty so sent it off twice to Sony who eventually fixed it. About a year and a half later it started again so I traded it for a slim at Game. It seems like a common issue but know one seems to know what causes it. Get rid if you can.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Considering the money it'll cost to get it fixed or replaced, I'll probably just cross my fingers for a bit.
  • JonB wrote:
    If anyone does want to renew plus for this month's games, it's 25% off a year's subscription on the store and Amazon and probably other places.

Is £37.49 the price after a 25% discount?  I vaguely remember paying a few quid less than that last time I renewed.
  • Yeah, the full price has gone up to £50 now. Used to be £40.
  • Ah, didn't realise.  Might as well grab it anyway then, I'll only end up paying more when mine actually runs out.
  • The God of War trailer for the limited edition PS4 looks amazing! The trailer that is not the Console. That looks merely ok.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yup, I'd agree with" okay". It's a fuck load better than the fugly limited editions they usually do, anyway.
  • Another sale. An 'Only on Playstation' section and a DLC add-ons bit.

Nothing too exciting, except there's War of the Chosen finally getting a discount. Really need to sell SotC now.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Shit, I thought that thing was an actual joke.
  • Sadly not. What times we live in.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!