Playstation 4 [The all you can eat buffet thread]
  • Cables are the main reason I've not leapt aboard the VR train. HTC have a wireless adaptor so hopefully Sony or Microsoft can do something similar come the next gen.

Once it's all set up and tucked away, I don't find it that bad. One cable from headset that gets curled up under it, unplugging it from the box takes a second when I don't want it sitting by the TV.

I tend to favour the integrated earbuds more than separate cans for the convenience, but I reckon a lot of games audio is balanced for them and actually sounds a little off when amplified.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Always imagined you'd like laying a good cable, hair
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Needed to cut some yesterday, but the jobbie knife was missing. Panic hit and called for help. My wife had blitzed the bathroom and washed it. Hearing my cries it dawned on Dominique that she’d inadvertently put it in the kitchen drawer. FFS.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    :-@
  • Needed to cut some yesterday, but the jobbie knife was missing. Panic hit and called for help. My wife had blitzed the bathroom and washed it. Hearing my cries it dawned on Dominique that she’d inadvertently put it in the kitchen drawer. FFS.

And you weren’t eating Nutella on your toast either.

Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Yeh there's only one cable really from headset to box.
    Theres also a way to hear others around you, it's in the psvr settings when it's turned on.
  • What the funk is a jobby knife?
    Is it simular to a toe knife?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Kinda
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If you shat toes
  • It's on a want to know basis. Those that know, didn't want to know. And you definitely do not want to know. But if you have to ask, you're not allowed to know.
  • It’s for cutting Yule logs at Xmas time
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • What is wrong with you people to make that necessary?
  • Anyway, both the next episode of Spider-Man and Beat Saber are out today. Woo!
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    It’s for cutting Yule logs at Xmas time

Least it's not a daily thing I guess!
    AJ wrote:
    What is wrong with you people to make that necessary?

Something iv never heard of and never want to again.

AJ wrote:
    Anyway, both the next episode of Spider-Man and Beat Saber are out today. Woo!

Beat saber, funk Yeh!
  • I'm going to hold out a day or two, just to be sure that the tracking is up to it. Probably wouldn't have been the case if it hadn't been for Spider-Man, so I'm pretty thankful they both dropped at the same time.
  • All the hype about Beat Saber is right on the money.  It makes the Move controllers feel like the pinnacle of technology, not the "slightly dodgy wiimotes with torches" I know them to be.  I don't quite know how they've done it, but they don't drift around in your hand, they feel rock steady and track wonderfully.  I know it's a trick, but it's one hell of a trick.

Playing the game is immersive, incredible and utterly gleeful.  (At least so far)

My only downsides to date have been...

- It's worth setting the floor height when you start.  But this is easy to do.
    - You discover how much Darth Vader must have been sweating under that helmet.
    - At one point I was swinging about so dramatically that the lead flew up, and smacked my Switch out of its dock and onto the floor.

That's it.  Like all VR games there's a limit to how long I can imagine playing it for in any given session, but with this sort of thing, that's fine.  Besides, it's the first VR game I've had that my wife has actively wanted to wrestle off me for a go, so I can see more doing lots of handing it back and forth.  

I don't know if it has any real longevity to it (there aren't many songs), but in terms of immediate impact, it's the most satisfying VR experience I've had.  If Sony have any sense they'll be shoving a PSVR running this into every shopping centre in the land in the lead up to Christmas.
  • I loved the little I played of Beat Saber. It got the hooks into me like Guitar Hero/Rock Band did back in the day where all I wanted to do was play and get better.
    Maybe one day I'll get the VRs
  • Thanks for the write up, tin. Looking forward to giving it a blast tonight. Know if it'll play okay sitting or I need to adjust the camera before I start?
  • AJ wrote:
    Thanks for the write up, tin. Looking forward to giving it a blast tonight. Know if it'll play okay sitting or I need to adjust the camera before I start?

You could play it sitting, but you’ll get more out of it stood up.  That’s certainly how I chose to play it. There’s some side stepping and ducking involved, which is obviously easier standing.
  • Thanks. Standing it is then.

Pity I've lent Supergirl, it'd be a good opportunity to get back into that too.
  • Can anyone reccomend a flight combat game for PS4? I'm now prepared to accept we'll never get another Rogue Squadron game, but would like to scratch the dogfighting itch (sci-fi or current day) regardless.
    PSN ID - s-revill
  • Eve Valkyrie is meant to be good, and the new Ace Combat will have VR support.
  • Ace combat is due on 18th January.

Apart from that there's only really the battlefield game series.

Unless you have Playstation vr where there's the excellent eve valkeri and the relaxing ultrawings.
    Theres a few others too on vr.
  • Eve Valkyrie is meant to be good

Good if you like multiplayer, the single player is non-existent.
  • Had a check on Metacritic and there are actually fuck all flying games for PS4, expecially well rated ones. I mean, the top one is a F2P online thing and that's only got 76%.

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/metascore/flight/ps4

Top ranked by user score is Strike Suit Zero at 64%. What a sorry state of affairs.
  • Oh Yeh forgot about war thunder the f2p,
    that's actually most likely what you want to be honest!
  • SeanySean wrote:
    Can anyone reccomend a flight combat game for PS4? I'm now prepared to accept we'll never get another Rogue Squadron game, but would like to scratch the dogfighting itch (sci-fi or current day) regardless.

I’ve got Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers. It’s not great, but it’s a serviceable (simple) WW2 flight combat game. There’s a campaign, but I more often just fire into a massive dogfight over Pearl harbour to scratch that itch. It’s currently £15.99, making it the cheapest of the overpriced Air Conflicts games, but you’ll often find one or more of them on sale.

War Thunder is F2P, but unless there’s been a significant update to its controls, then I wouldn’t bother. It seems that the transfer from PC to console controls was not considered worthwhile by the developers. There are lengthy user defineable options. Good luck with those...

If it’s a Rogue Squadron itch you’re looking to scratch, though, I’d check out Strike Vector EX. It’s currently £11.99, but I’m pretty sure I got it for ½ - ⅔ that in a sale. Interesting dynamic, in that the different ship classes have really different styles of play. If you can forgive the tone of the trailer, it’s a bit 90s/00s try-too-hard renegade tough-guy.

That’s 75 on Metacritic.
  • Strike Vector EX is the one I've been trying to think of since popping in here earlier. I only paid £3.29ish iirc, but it's definitely competent at the space dogfighting thing. The lobbies are presumably quiet now, so £11.99 might be a bit steep. Fun though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!