Playstation 4 [The all you can eat buffet thread]
  • MattyJ wrote:
    My bro is after a scuf or similar for ps4. Any recommendations? Is scuf just the way to go and you pay the price if you want it?

I'd tell him to avoid Scuf, their shitty build quality, and their terrible customer service.

Any of these PS4 pro controllers will do the job better and last longer; Razer RaijuAstro C40 TRNacon Revolution 2 (I've got the first gen model, 'tis a beast).

Aye, they ain't cheap, but it looks like the Nacon's on sale on their store atm for a very good price.
  • Cheers man, will take a look!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Just grab the add on for the standard joypad. It's great.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Cheers man, will take a look!

Just get an elite and the dongle?
  • Verecocha wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:

Thé elite is shit, I have decided.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:

Thé elite is shit, I have decided.

You’re shit I have decided.

(You're not really of course. Your taste in pads is though.)
  • It's not a taste thing, it's a quality thing
  • I never really liked my elite. The left shoulder button packed up and the build quality was utter shit. The rubberised grips started coming away and had to be re-glued and the right stick never clicked in right. Not to mention the back paddles - terribly squishy. Bone controllers flare my carpal tunnel up something rotten too.

That paddle attachment for the dual shock looks legit.

The controller will be a deciding factor in which new console I get for sure. Not buying until I've tried both in my hands.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:

I thought there was lag with a dongle? What is the best dongle?
  • That's not what your gf said...
  • Just grab the add on for the standard joypad. It's great.

Yeah it really is.  Game were selling them for £30, dunno about current availability but if you can find one it's well worth considering.

Honestly though, those Razer, Astro, and Nacon (especially the Razer and Astro) PS4 pro controllers are as good as it gets.  A level or two above Scuf and the Elite for build quality.
  • I've found it really difficult to get used to the extra buttons.
  • I never really liked my elite. The left shoulder button packed up and the build quality was utter shit. The rubberised grips started coming away and had to be re-glued and the right stick never clicked in right. Not to mention the back paddles - terribly squishy. Bone controllers flare my carpal tunnel up something rotten too.

That paddle attachment for the dual shock looks legit.

The controller will be a deciding factor in which new console I get for sure. Not buying until I've tried both in my hands.

Shoulder button packed up in both my elites, but the main.issue is thumbstick drift and precision. After years of using it instead of the DS4, the sad thing is, the basic playstation pad is better and more precise. It is better build quality as well. With the extra back button thing they released in February, there is simply no reason to use elite on PS4. In fact, I'm gonna find it hard to go back to elite on Xbox, if and when I ever get back to Xbox.
  • Hi everyone and sorry for jumping back in to ask for help when I've been absent for so long!
    I've never been a PS gamer but, even having trawled the web for answers, I'm completely stuck.
    Teenage boy in our house has a PS4, which was set up at his dad's house.
    I'm trying to set Play Time controls but cannot figure it out. 
    I have all relevant codes/passwords but he is the sole user of the console and is Family Manager.
    Is there ANY way that I can set up controls on the console for his user account?

1. As he is Family Manager (by default), there appears to be no way of 'demoting' him by creating a separate adult account and handing over control. Short of deleting his account and starting from scratch, is there ANY way of removing Family Manager status from him?
    2. It seems that as his account was set up with a fake DOB, he's classed as an adult automatically and thus cannot have ANY restrictions imposed on his account. Is there any way of changing this?
    3. It seems that Play Time controls and age-restrictions go hand-in-hand, so you cannot impose one without the other (i.e. his account has to be a child account for you to impose Play Time controls but then he's prevented from playing adult titles such as GTA)

Yes, I know that the easiest practical solution is simply to remove his controllers or whatever if he's taking the piss, but experience has shown that imposing limits via the console itself leads to far fewer teenage strops.

FWIW, he used to play Fortnite on my Switch but when it got a bit out of hand, I simply put the Nintendo app on my phone and it gave me remote control of his gaming habits. It couldn't have been easier! Why have Sony seemingly so over-engineered this?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Howdy Igor.. long time etc etc. 

I've been through something similar quite recently as it happens. I had one of my nephews using my account to play Fortnite. He's 9, all his friends play it from school yadda yadda. Now this was kind of ok but it meant that my account was filling up with constant notifications and spamming from other 9yr olds that thought I was him. 
    Luckily the free to play is free on PS4 is handy as you can just make a free PSN account and have it work without paying the + sub. 

Great I thought, old launch PS4 plugged in to a telly in the room next door. Bingo Bongo - done.. 

I created an account for him using this actual birth date and added as family using the management that you've been through... buuut.. then he simply can't even see Fortnite let alone play it. You can't whitelist any games yourself it's just a cast iron border that prevents the games being used at all.  You can't change anything about the date of birth either so we had to junk that account and the PSN name he'd chosen for it..

We ended up just giving up and making an adult account and more closely monitoring his time spent on it as all the Sony family monitoring is gone then.. he only really wants to play Fortnite and talk to his school mates anyway thankfully. He's not in any way interested in GTA titty bars, COD death o' sweary slaughterfest or Resi nightmare fuel. 

I think I could of made it so he was 14? 16? and keep him both Fortnite happy and under the family management though. You could give that a crack? 

The Sony time and screen management does look to be effective from what I saw but to my mind it lacks the flexibility that I'd want to green light certain things at my discretion. 

Close Sony.. no cigar. 

tl;dr You're kind of stuffed. You might be able to make a young adult account and manage that.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Thanks isanbard, I appreciate your input even though it confirms what I suspected. I guess we'll just have to continue put up with him losing his shit every time he doesn't get his own way... let's just say that lockdown and home-schooling hasn't been an unqualified success. Living with two teenagers (not mine) and a 2yr old (mine) has its challenges. I guess the fact that we're all still alive is a victory in itself though.
  • Hope you doing ok DAQs
  • Hey Igor - I just read an interesting suggestion from one person in the same situation who said they were able to access their router and impose device specific time frames when the console couldn't access the internet. This would at least put a stop on any online gaming.

This would entirely depend on your ISP, router, etc.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Hey Igor - I just read an interesting suggestion from one person in the same situation who said they were able to access their router and impose device specific time frames when the console couldn't access the internet. This would at least put a stop on any online gaming. This would entirely depend on your ISP, router, etc.
    Yes, I may be able to do that actually... thanks for the tip!
  • I've owned a ps4 for a long time now and I still cannot fathom it's architecture. The Modern Warfare update is about 10gig. I have 65gig free on the machine...but it won't download the update because it didn't have space.

I still cannot understand who on earth designed this weird system
  • Don't think we have a Ghost of Tsushima thread. This was yesterday's State of Play thing, showing how it plays:

Got to say, it looks very generic open world from this. Setting and scenery are lovely, but I'm not seeing anything new or especially interesting to do.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Looks a bit pants to me.
  • Meh. Looks like an AC clone. Much less excited about this now.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Looks great to me. Getting BotW/Witcher 3 vibes from it (might just be because it's windy all the time lel) and it looks like they've nailed the atmosphere. That black and white duel at the end gave me goosebumps. I'm a massive sucker for customisation too, so I was furiously masturbating through that bit.

The only thing I didn't like the look of was the bad stuntman animations on the head shots. Proper physics based crumple in a lifeless heap please, not turning and leaping back when an arrow enters the side of your noggin.

Looking forward to this way more than LoU2, I tried to play that this week and thought the combat, and especially the AI were poor.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Looks like every other game of this type to me. Mordor, Ass Creed, Horizon.
  • I was meh until the saw the cinematic mode. Looks alright. Japanssins Creed innit.

One for the sales. Fuck starting another epic just now.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I see TLOU2 and Tsushima as PS5 launch window magic boost mode filler for the Covid probably buggered actual PS5 games getting delayed until god knows when. 

I'm in no rush for either but if they can get swished up to much faster loading and prettier pretties then that'll be fine for me.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Meh. Looks like an AC clone. Much less excited about this now.

Yeah, me too. The combat doesn't look as fluid or different as other vids have suggested and some of the movement looks abit last gen to me. I remember seeing MGS ground zero for the first time and seeing silky smooth transitions of snake going from sprinting to prone etc and being wowed by it. It still looks great now. Any way I was expecting a similar wow factor from this and just didn't get it at all.

Atmosphere looks great in the windy bits as did the black and white stand off at the end but it almost looked like a different game to the main combat / stealth gameplay on show.

Abit disappointed overall, maybe it plays beautifully.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Just got emailed a "get 25% off your basket" thing from Sony. Anyone else?? Is that literally off any game?!? Hmmmm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!