Film of the Year 2014 [Vote before 15th Feb]
  • I watched X-Men, and it would go at the end of my list. Was decent enough, possibly even better than most, but it's all a bit played out now. A good film hamstrung by over-saturation.
  • Facewon wrote:
    I'm shit at watching films. Have only watched snowpiercer. Thankfully, it was great.
    Oh was snowpiercer this year? Then #4 is that for me.
    It's a bit of an odd one, since it's had a whole range of release dates in different places. I think it's best just to include it.
  • Worst film of the year for me goes to Godzilla.
    It's up there. I think Lucy would be mine.
  • Forgot about Godzilla.

I quite liked it but I watched it in my living room with my housemate and we laughed and mocked throughout.
  • People who've seen Nightcrawler: To what extent is it similar to Collateral?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Is Nightcrawler out on DVD yet?

Not until March 2015.
  • Brooks wrote:
    People who've seen Nightcrawler: To what extent is it similar to Collateral?
    Not at all really.
  • Okay cool. Just I'd noticed some commentary saying they at least were shot rather similarly, so I had to wonder.
  • Tricky one this year, as I think it's been a pretty good one for movies.  (And there's plenty I'm yet to see.)

Still if I must whittle it down to 5:

5: We are the Best!
    4: Inside Llewyn Davis
    3: Boyhood
    2: Grand Budapest Hotel
    1: Under the Skin  (Which surprises me, as was slightly ambivalent when I saw it, but have found it keeps nudging its way back into my mind long since I finished watching it.)

Also nods to both Guardians of the Galaxy and Paddington as being the two films I most enjoyed seeing with the kids this year.  There's a tendency to sneer at family movies, but cracking something that everyone's going to enjoy is an art in itself.  Oh, and on a similar note, LEGO movie gets a mention for rising above its cynical origins, even if it never really sheds them.

Edit - just realised We Are the Best! was 2013 in the UK.  So you can switch it for Two Days, One night.
  • Cool fact: The producer of Paddington was also on the squad for a filming of Vera Britten's Testament of Youth. Weird old world.
  • JonB wrote:
    Worst film of the year for me goes to Godzilla.
    It's up there. I think Lucy would be mine.

I enjoyed Godzilla. It's a stupid monster movie, which is what I expected it to be.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Okay cool. Just I'd noticed some commentary saying they at least were shot rather similarly, so I had to wonder.

Lacks the shiny aesthetic that mann's films tend to have (a bit like the JeffCronenworth effect) but it is night and la so I dunno fill your boots
  • Bob wrote:
    I didn't really get Under the Skin. Nice to see you Reg. Traditionally shouldn't g. be here to tell us that no good films where made this year?
    Absolutely. From the list in the OP all I have seen is XMenDoFP and GotG. XMen was pretty poor and GotG was fun but not particularly special.
    Consequently I will only be voting for films that are at least five years old but that I have watched this year.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I've got a load of films rowed up on my Sky box along with Under The Skin to watch on prime.

So far I have a top two.

1. Guardians of The Galaxy - the first Marvel film in a while that didn't feel the need to reference the rest of the universe every 5 minutes.

2. Planet of The Apes - was it Rise? Despite the surprisingly small feel to the setting the actual apes show again how good motion capture, with the right actors, can work. Has Serkis won an Oscar yet?

To my negative list can go Interstellar and just watched yesterday Xmen:DoFP

I'll see if I can cram in Wolf, Skin and something else to make a top 5.
  • Hmmmm, just watched The Guest. After the great You're Next which managed to twist expectations at most turns, The Guest was a bit too straight forward. Great soundtrack and good performances but I'd like to know why it's top 5 on some lists.

I'd totally forgotten about It Follows. That's the best horror of the year (and probably recent years) and so on mine it goes.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    2. Planet of The Apes - was it Rise? Despite the surprisingly small feel to the setting the actual apes show again how good motion capture, with the right actors, can work. Has Serkis won an Oscar yet?
    The ape work was indeed excellent in that, but I found it a bit lacking otherwise. The human side of things was dull and predictable. The first in this new series had more going for it.
  • I thought guardians was merely okay. All of the jokes hit but it was very smooth to the point of coldness.
  • It needed a much better director to really make it shine.
  • I liked Lucy.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I liked Her too, well, the latter half more so than the first half.
  • Can I just vote Jake Gyllenhaal? 

Night Crawler
    Enemy
    Budapest Hotel
    Edge of Tomorrow
    Locke

These are the films thathave hit me hit me hardest. I'll get around to Gone Girl and The Guest in the next few days.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Well the list in the OP made me realise how inadequate my film viewing has been this year, with the sum total of zippo being witnessed. It at least gives me a point of reference I guess.

I saw Bad Santa on Christmas Day so I'll vote for that because it is great, incorrect year be damned.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • It's over five years old, so you should be fine.
  • adored wrote:
    Can I give The Wolf of Wall Street negative points, I really don't want it to win?
    Is that because you disapprove of the characters it's based on and feel that it rewards bad behaviour in the financial sector or because you think it's a badly made film?

I really laughed really really hard.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Forgot about Enemy.  Would be no.3 on my list.

Edit: Which now reads:

1. Calvary
    2. Under the Skin
    3. Enemy
    4. Starred Up
    5. Babadook
    6. Wolf of Wall Street
    7. Dallas Buyer's Club
    8. Gone Girl
    9. Inside Llewyn Davis
    10. X-Men
  • Scarlett Johansson is the best this year. Films she is in could make it into a fair few top 5s.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Me and Temps have had major discussions about GotG. Problem isn't the director - one look at his other specialities confirms that - but the restrictions of the Marvel Universe. They got a "cool name" director to do it, which is becoming a Marvel standard (cf. Cap Am 2, Avengers, Iron Man 1,3) but then they're still very much restrained the the marvel mince machine - it makes mince, whether it is in space or on earth.

Don't get me wrong, I thought GotG was pretty good, and certainly the best Marvel movie in a long time, but Gunn has dropped hints on the film he WANTED to make, which would have been very R and NSFTK, which suggests more to do with the hand of Arad and the all-ighty-ollar than Gunn.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Some stuff I missed this year that I wish I hadnt -

We Are The Best
    Ida
    What We Do In The Shadows
    Night Moves
    Joe
    Locke
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    God damn Foxcatcher is good. Carrell nails it, its got underlying tension and its a really good fucking story.

Won't add it to my list as its technically next year but it'd easily sit 4th or 5th.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!