Building Character...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    I like how portal builds your character by talking at you

Portal's all about GlaDoS first though, innit? 

That game is another example of how an NPC becomes more important to the game than your own avatar (like, Ico, SotC and The Last Guardian). You're definitely right about how Portal's scenario leads you to assume much about Chelle, without actually knowing anything about her though.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Smang wrote:
    i also love cheeseball OTT mofos like Dante (real Dante)
    Cheers man.
    Top line.
    Dante wrote:
    The Gordon Freeman I played was a bellend, because he'd rather face anywhere than the place the person talking to him was standing, and do anything other than listen to them. When I'm in the opposite corner trying to get on top of a table, and they still drone on about whatever instead of saying "do you want to fucking listen to my important exposition or not", I find that way more of a disconnect.
    That's where I was. You've give me a room full of interesting shit to interact with and a guy to listen to. IRL there are penalties for walking away from someone and putting their cactus in a microwave but in HL2 you can still hear all the exposition. That means they're asking you to forgo the interesting shit in the room to maintain the illusion.

The icing on the cake is that it's really fucking boring the second time through and there's no way to skip it.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • @dynamite

For all I've played of HL, I have to disagree. Silent Gordon isn't a blank canvas to paint your personality on. Silent Gordon is a very specific, weird personality that draws more attention to how wrong it is than any dialogue would have. I hated the story sections because of how poorly they were handled. It's dire stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I think HL fucked my desire to carry on PC gaming. I recall I got to the end on the alien world and my PC just kept crashing. Never did finish it despite loving the rest of the game. Obviously Half Life 2 was better game (on t'Xbox).

But yep, I often thought that as you walked off looking for something and the NPC's carried on chatting shit, why the programmers didn't think to check proximity and direction and produce different dialogue. I guess because they know that we know it doesn't really matter.
  • I'd be surprised if HL3 didn't have some "Freeman. Are you listening?" type dialogue. But as everything else gets closer to realism, the mute fucker is going to stand out like a sorer thumb.
  • Yeah, like Half Life 3 is a thing.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    @dynamite For all I've played of HL, I have to disagree. Silent Gordon isn't a blank canvas to paint your personality on. Silent Gordon is a very specific, weird personality that draws more attention to how wrong it is than any dialogue would have. I hated the story sections because of how poorly they were handled. It's dire stuff.

I don't think it's mindblowing or anything, but I will admit to appreciating it.

Were Valve to give him one of the two lines I'd suggested for the head crab pet section, we'd have a clear idea of what Gordon thinks of head crabs, and we'd certainly internalize that.

If he was shook up by the encounter and was found to relate as much, we might not take his approach to the next armed checkpoint as seriously as we would have, if he had shown indifference to the set piece instead. 

But I'll agree that character dialogue is a useful tool for framing and colouring action.

I seriously doubt anyone would have liked Starfox half as much, if McCloud and his merry cache of wildlife were not found to natter like tarts... Looking back to the original title, their constant chirping added very little to the play experience, but somehow gave the impression that the game couldn't take place without them...

Breaking it down, the only play mechanic ascribed to Slippy, Peppy and Falco's presence, was pretty much the exact same mechanic which Centipede (remember that game?) once enforced with the occasional appearance of an 8 pixel spider...

But you rarely thought about the 100% level completion bonus. You mostly thought about Slippy, the crap pilot, Peppy, the whiny bitch, and Falco the cunt...

You'd have saved the fucking galaxy yourself if I wasn't there innit', Falco? You cunt.
  • what about Binary Domain? 

it felt like Gears of war + Devil may cry, and it seemingly didn't take itself too seriously. however i found the cast completely endearing in their ridiculousness, i imagine even moreso had i been using voice commands. the trust system was quite responsive too, with characters reacting to things you do and their dialogue becoming more hostile/brojam as the game went on.
  • I'm a big BD fan and Iliked the tone but the characters were out of a book of stereotypes. Apart from Cain, the robot, he's literally the best thing ever.
  • nothing better that English guy. his VA literally covers every regional UK accent in one paragraph.

true that it was fairly cliche, but i still felt far more attached to some of them than say, anyone in the new tomb raider.
  • I can't really think of any great character. The Agent Smith guy from Half Life is good, I like badasses like Dante, Bayonetta & Same Gideon, funboys like Prince of Persia or Nathan Drake, and gruff heroes like Snake Solid. But they're all straightforward characters that I probably only like because they're in good games.
  • If it is a jRPG, then I would want a well written character.  Many jRPGs have rather cookie-cutter type characters e.g. A teenage boy only-child with a grandiose destiny, a strong man (of either angry or silent gentleman variant), a mild tempered female healer, etc.

Persona 4 (on PS2), would be the jRPG I've played that has the best writing.  It broke away from most of the story clichés, and the characters were well written.  It wasn't just the character personalities/traits that were well defined, but also their interactions.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Persona could be a great platform to explore social meanderings if they changed the cast to adults living in a modern city. Instead we're stuck with schoolkids because target demographic.
  • Flicking through CrunchyRoll and dismissing anything with "highschool" in the description leaves you with about 5 things to watch. There was a japanese animator on reddit trying to kickstart his project because he couldn't get funding in the traditional way. I suggested he should set it in a highschool and have some kind of supernatural element. He didn't get it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Flicking through CrunchyRoll and dismissing anything with "highschool" in the description leaves you with about 5 things to watch. There was a japanese animator on reddit trying to kickstart his project because he couldn't get funding in the traditional way. I suggested he should set it in a highschool and have some kind of supernatural element. He didn't get it.

It's somewhat akin to the US' fascination with dysfunctional family units.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!