Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
  • Ok, I seem to have hit another brick wall.

Mission 35
    Spoiler:

Any advice?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Smoke grenade spam. Run in, extract.
  • Hold ups bro. As long as you dont set the alarm off they don't get up from the lie down command. Some of them will be shitasses and try to pull a gun or a knife on you but you can tell when they are going to do it because they don't instantly drop to the floor and assume the position, so just choke those guys out. 

I think I did that mission with a series of hold ups and chokes, I didn't bother taking out all the guards, just the ones on the side of the crate I was going to fulton, then I pegged it off in the box quick smart into the foliage while everyone is looking at the sky.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Smoke grenades is cheekier. Remember that some C4 can be set where you want people to look.

i'd love to do some co-op shit in this. One player getting the objectives while the other runs interference.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Cheers for the tips. I ended up going with the smoke grenade approach.

Up to mission 37 now but had to call it a night.
    Spoiler:

Will hopefully finish it within the next week, 43hrs so far. Probably another 10 to go?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nah, you're getting there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Depends how much mission 49 is a stumbling block.
    Spoiler:
  • Cheers will do, any particular one you'd recommend? I'm getting a bit low on materials tbh and don't fancy having to farm for more so I don't really wanna make the mistake of upgrading the wrong one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I just went with the best I could.

It doesn't make that much difference because that level is annoying to the max regardless of your choice.
  • Hmm, sounds fun.

Cheers all.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Power is key. You'll have time to reload.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Power is key. You'll have time to reload.

Not story spoilers but strategy ones. Might fancy trying it blind a few times.

Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That is how I did it too, but I also watched someone do it the latter way and they had SKILLZORS
  • I bow to their patience.
  • I spent hours on that mission. I went into it tooled up for a no-kill silent mission like all the others. I had to retry then survive until I could airdrop some better gear. Before I started winning I was starting to doubt everything. Am I doing this right? Have I completely misunderstood this mission? Who am I? What is the meaning of purple?
  • Purple is defined as a deep, rich shade between crimson and violet, or, more broadly, as a range of hues of colour between blue and red, or as a dark colour that is a blend of red and blue.  According to surveys in Europe and the U.S., purple is the colour most often associated with royalty, magic, mystery and piety. When combined with pink, it is associated with eroticism, femininity and seduction.

Purple and violet are similar, though purple is closer to red. In optics, there is an important difference; purple is a composite colour made by combining red and blue, while violet is a spectral colour, with its own wavelength on the visible spectrum of light.

Purple simultaneously means everything and nothing and is not to be trifled with.
  • Deep.
  • Deep purple.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Everything you need to know about purple

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Everything you need to know about purple 

FIXED.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • So this week Ive been doing Missions 7,8,9 and 10 I think. 

Just did some village infiltration for plans, then a tank convoy attack. And one more mission after that where you have to destroy multiple armoured vehicles. 

C4 on the road works.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Chapter 12 done last night.

D-Horse comes in very handy.
  • I'm really getting into this. I love the whole side ops structure as it really gives you the opportunity to approach various bases along the way with different strategies. Not only that, you can approach them from the opposite direction and because some of them are rarely encountered, its fun to walk through them taking out guards and sneaking past like a ghost, then you come across the wall with a crack in it and realise "Hang on, this is the place where you first rescued Kaz!"
  • I jumped in the back of one of the courier trucks when playing today, and it was night time in a village which had guards on alert after I just rescued a hostage.

The guards took off driving, ran head first into a patrolling guard and were shocked to see that someone had been killed. "What the hell?" they were saying, and eventually they decided against reporting it, got back in the truck and drove off. 

Weird.

• I like the fact I'm underpowered at the moment, really have to take my time because I'm as good as dead if I get caught. In fairness, reading the other posts here, it looks like it becomes an endurance task as it goes on, you end up not really enjoying it because the story is frankly very shit.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • It's not so much that the story is shit, it's more that after 50-odd hours of playing there is still virtually no story to speak of. Perhaps it picks up later in the game, but I'm long passed caring.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I like the fact I'm underpowered at the moment, really have to take my time because I'm as good as dead if I get caught. In fairness, reading the other posts here, it looks like it becomes an endurance task as it goes on, you end up not really enjoying it because the story is frankly very shit.

I think its very much the antithesis of MGS4. That game had 90 minute cut scenes. This game, although I'm only up to mission 12 or 13, has very little unless you go looking for it. I suspect Ive missed some, but I have also stumbled across bits of it by going to different wings of mother base.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    I would have done so, but I was in a pickle at the time. So far my only complaint is the lack of fauna in the game. Aside from the odd sheep, and eagle, is there anything around the place? No snakes or whatever else to hunt and eat.

You get fairly smaller fauna they're just tricky to find. Sonar picks them up. I was surprised as fuck once I realised the stuff you can catch in cages is actually on the map.

METAL%20GEAR%20SOLID%20V_%20THE%20PHANTOM%20PAIN_20150916203152_zpswz6zw4fb.jpg
  • I haven't really explored mother base. Just got the expansions which seems to be fun. I think. Im still enjoying it immensely.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Not digging Kaz/Ocelot and their passive aggressive needling about how frequently I should be coming back to base. 'It's not good for the soldiers' morale' here pals I haven't turned this game on in two weeks and a lot of that is down to how often I find myself having to run around this boring-as-fuck metal purgatory just to keep you happy so step the fuck back.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!