regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Plus, yknow, 3 is like a top 10 of all time game.
  • I've had a think at that 'one of the best the medium has had' line and done a little sigh. That I count a Kojima game as one of the greats really is damning the medium with faint praise I feel.
  • How are the controls on the vita for 3 ?

I've played 2 on it and I couldn't get the hang of them
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Largely the same but there's a crouch walk between standing and prone, also it should have a fully working camera if it's the HD version. 3 is paced much slower than 2 because there's no radar, so less awkward precision shots during bosses etc.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I played through 2 and 3 fine on vita. Its the 3ds where everytthing explodes. It is nighunplayable without a new 3ds or cpp
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I need a short summary of the plots of the other games, including who the hell everyone is in this game. Snake this and boss that is all to confusing. Anyone know any better links than Wikipedia??

I removed that other vid as there were a lot wrong with it.

These are much better.
  • I'm with g. Hilarious to watch, but I'll happily just dive in.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I think much of my affection comes from playing the all before I was 18, thus they embedded themselves in whatever ossifying mental sediment was forming the bedrock of my adult mind.

So basically my brain is telling me no... but my sub con, MY SUB CON
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I played 3 over a two day period in 2005, when at the age of 20, I had saved up any scrimmaging cash I had for it. Couldn't afford to go out so sat hunched over a CRT. Glory days. The shift to MGS4 was interesting. Suddenly we had a HDTV and surround sound and the game absolutely reflected that, for better or worse.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I mean, everything about 1 demands you sit about a foot away from a 14 inch CRT in your bedroom playing it, with the jewel case in easy reach, not on the other side of your penthouse.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I think much of my affection comes from playing the all before I was 18, thus they embedded themselves in whatever ossifying mental sediment was forming the bedrock of my adult mind. So basically my brain is telling me no... but my sub con, MY SUB CON
    That thought had crossed my mind tbh (and that's not meant as a dig).
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I was 14 and had no girlfriend :( thread ruined
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I mean, everything about 1 demands you sit about a foot away from a 14 inch CRT in your bedroom playing it, with the jewel case in easy reach, not on the other side of your penthouse.

Yeah, I can get down with that. 1 was as silly as any of them, but at the time it did some pretty cool stuff. And I recall the end sequence being fairly cynical and sad.

Or yeah, I was much younger.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Come now trippy, how the hell did you have a playstation AND a girlfriend, I thought it was a choice between one or the other

Surprised myself there, checked release date, I thought it came out much earlier than that. I was 18 surprised I played so much of it, this was just before my gaming fallow spell until just before I joined marun-rum
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I was 33 when Metal Gear Solid came out...
  • g.man wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I think much of my affection comes from playing the all before I was 18, thus they embedded themselves in whatever ossifying mental sediment was forming the bedrock of my adult mind. So basically my brain is telling me no... but my sub con, MY SUB CON
    That thought had crossed my mind tbh (and that's not meant as a dig).

I can see why you'd have thought Going through two right now is hard work because I genuinely believe, as a critical thinking adult, that it touched on some incredibly prescient themes and ideas that are incredibly smart and interesting, but it's hidden under layers of garbage dialogue and campy production. I can reconcile that schism due to my affection, but also recognise it as a barrier and a fair point for criticism.

I do think 3 works better, not least because it's subtler and more emotional, but also because it's a send up of Bond and Cold War era stuff - the camp and kitsch is demanded rather than an awkward byproduct of Kojima's love for anime posturing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My over rising belief is that Koj has always tried (not always succeeded) to mesh the high and the low, but sometimes this leads to the tonal discomforts that people complain about. I guess, having had them in my head for the best part of two of my three decades, it's something I can just tune into, whereas if Gears of War started a chat about best Simpsons episodes I would be a bit wtf
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Christ I wonder how / if Tenchu holds up today.
  • I'm genuinely a big fan of the Metal Gear series, but I'm currently struggling to drum up any enthusiasm whatsoever for the fifth instalment. As far as I'm concerned Snake should have been killed off at the end of IV, so I pretty much stopped caring after that. I've had that prologue thing for V sat on the Bone hard drive since it went GWG at the beginning of August but so far just can't be arsed to boot it up and jump in.
    I have no doubt that V will be amaze and I'll thoroughly enjoy it, but there's still a hurdle of meh to be jumped for me at the mo.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Typing of the dead was her breaking point huh. Can't blame her
  • I hold no love for 4, as a summation of the series. It didn't function as a finale for the events of 1 & 2, for me. I enjoy it for it's utterly insane nature, but it really feels like the game he didn't want to write.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I'm genuinely a big fan of the Metal Gear series, but I'm currently struggling to drum up any enthusiasm whatsoever for the fifth instalment. As far as I'm concerned Snake should have been killed off at the end of IV, so I pretty much stopped caring after that. I've had that prologue thing for V sat on the Bone hard drive since it went GWG at the beginning of August but so far just can't be arsed to boot it up and jump in.
    I have no doubt that V will be amaze and I'll thoroughly enjoy it, but there's still a hurdle of meh to be jumped for me at the mo.

Im with you re the end of 4. Of course, this being Koj, he wants everything to seamlessly link, and the one black hole in the continuity is the events between PW and MG (not S.) So, if it makes you feel any better, unless he does a sequel to 4, which WOULD actually be the worst idea ever, then there are no more stories to tell.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's mentioned in 1 that Big Boss was in his 50s when the gruesome twosome were created, so I'm guessing that will be the end point of 5.
  • I reckon that's getting a heavy retcon TBH. Guy's got a missing arm. Wonder who has it?

Edit: also MGSV - 1984
    Les Enfants Terribles - 1972. 

Oh ho.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    How old would he be? 3 is set in 62, GZ in 74 and this in 86 so 24 years on from 3? Could he be 30 in 3?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!