Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
  • My god after watching that gamescon video im well impressed. It's a game of much larger scope than i thought it would be.
    That motherbase looks an absolute ballache to get around tho. Even the fast travel was slow and cumbersome. 
    I did like the concessions to easy of traverse in the outside world tho. Animations and movement looked punchy and efficient. The exact opposite of something like GTA where after awhile just getting around objects and geography becomes an annoyance.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I've pre-ordered from Amazon. Day One edition apparently.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I gave up on that video after about three minutes when it became apparent that the whole thing seems to be a tedious middle-management sim about base building and recruitment. WTAF!? Tell me it gets better than that?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I've just got a £50 Amazon voucher. PP is £40. But I'm not sure I want it. Please help me out of this dilemma.

Send me the voucher?
  • I'll get it as soon as it goes on sale as a digital download, surprised it's not up yet.
  • g.man wrote:
    I gave up on that video after about three minutes when it became apparent that the whole thing seems to be a tedious middle-management sim about base building and recruitment. WTAF!? Tell me it gets better than that?

That's just part of the game you can invest in if you wish. You futon soldiers and so dirty back to Mother Base, but if it's like Peace Walker you'll be able to hit 'auto assign' and Largely ignore it unless you are really into it. You want to check out the TGS video for how the game plays when you're in the field.

Edit: E3 even

• In fact one of the first things he says in that GC videio is "you can leave this to Miller, if you wish" so I imagine it's like they say, just one facet of the game.
  • Tempy wrote:
    You futon soldiers and so dirty back to Mother Base,

This is the best bit of phone autocorrect in yonks.

Futon extraction best extraction for dirty soldiers.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Futon for sexy combo
  • Didn't strike me as odd given the source material.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I've just got a £50 Amazon voucher. PP is £40. But I'm not sure I want it. Please help me out of this dilemma.

What kind of help are you looking for? It's day one purchase for me, soooooo.....??
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Play MGS3 Muzz. If you like the way it gives you a bag of tricks to play with, then buy this, because it's essentially that but 1000x fold.

Otherwise, just buy it for me, ta.
  • Buy it because this:

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The truth is that I think Koj and the studio really understand that open worlds have been lacking a few key features for some people: a vast amount of toys to play with, and the ability to compartmentalise a wider map to provide semi-authored missions that allow them to give you some real focus.

I'm more excited for this than any other game this year, because it looks like it solves the open world quandary for me. As lolworthy as some of the Carboard box stuff is, they've managed to take an item that had one use in prior MGS games, and expand it so you can do 5 or 6 things with it, from distraction to traversal. It's going to make so many western open worlds look so empty in retrospect.
  • Tempy nose. 

I can't wait for this, it is surely the most videogamey videogame of the year.
  • JC3 will give you a lot of toys, but it still remains prohibitively large for me to get interested in. Direct my experience please, I am not a huge fan of this "we create the world, you create the game" movement in games, because it doesn't work for me. GTAV looks a riot if you play it online with chums, but solo it's such a hollow feeling.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's much easier to build convincing openworlders around rural locations (Reds) than cities (GTAs).
  • I'm not talking about the locales themselves, rather the lack of direction given. It'll be interesting to see on release if V manages to do live up to its claims of steering the player to solutions whilst leaving other avenues open. The E3 2015 demo showed the kind of flexibility open world games have promised but often failed to deliver. If it can keep that up, then it'll be a winner.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Just Cause 3 looks set to become this generation's Spider-Man 2; fantastic to play, but nothing of purpose to do.

Destroy 5 Statues. Decommission 10 Satellites. Kill General Bodkins, but follow him first.

But it sure is videogamey. As for this Petal Gear Frolic, I read a simplified version of its story about a year ago, and - after some brainwhizzing - deciphered it as the leaning tower of Jenga it is. Kojima's long been busting his balls to conceal the shittiest of warman narratives behind an illusion of realworld preadmonition. As if battering First Blood and Judge Dredd into the same anti-authoritarian mush.

But, aye, at least there's gameplay in this one. Although, and I never thought I'd catch myself typing this, I think the cardboard box is too silly. As much as I love its absurdity, there are only so many times you can slide out of it before the guards' incompetence grates.
  • Tempy wrote:
    JC3 will give you a lot of toys, but it still remains prohibitively large for me to get interested in. Direct my experience please, I am not a huge fan of this "we create the world, you create the game" movement in games, because it doesn't work for me. GTAV looks a riot if you play it online with chums, but solo it's such a hollow feeling.

I'm right there with you Tempy. It's like big game companies decided open world meant next Gen and decided to cram it into every game without much thought. I'm really enjoying MGS2 at the moment because it's so directed but there's still choice. Which order do I want to disarm these bombs? How do I tackle these enemies? I'm hoping mgs5 is similar but with a bit more spread.

Also bring back track based burnout/arcade racers. Open world ruined racing games for me.

• You should watch Marsh Davies Fail Forward video on Tomb Raider, where he suggests its the death knell of the Blockbuster Shooter. He also calls the move to open world gameplay as the most exciting shift in recent years, but I don't think he means he's excited for less authored content, more that there's clearly a rich seam to be mined by letting games be games, but that's just my thoughts on it. You'd probably enjoy all of his videos. If you're lazy, here's the TR one:

• I wasn't even thinking about this really, but that free ground zero and watching that e3 playthrough has me pretty excited. Lord knows when I'll play it.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Just bought on Xbox live, downloading now, EXCITED!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    THIS IS YOUR 3 WEEK ALERT FOR GOTY 2015
  • Super Mario maker yaas
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's 4 weeks

Fucked it
  • I know, thought it was worth it for the joke.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well it was going to be either you or one of the destiny lot
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Just bought on Xbox live, downloading now, EXCITED!

Wait. Mgs5 or gz?

Dabbling more tonight on gz. Hard run. It's very very good. Definitely gonna do a fair chunk of the other stuff too.

Importantly, I think they've really nailed the balance as far as when you are spotted or not. Can't take the piss, the rules are solid, but it's still a little forgiving. Feels much better than splinter cell in that regard.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!