Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Anyone know if the day one patch has happened/is happening?  Polygon declined to review their pre-release version too.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I am now a kiwi. 4.9gb update though... Is that a patch, or just my pre-install wasn't actually done right??

Still not quite sure...
  • I had a patch update that stopped me from playing it last night before I went to bed until it updated.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • That was because it started to download and wouldn’t let me play it till it downloaded
  • Apologies if posted already:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-10-building-ori-and-the-will-of-the-wisps-with-80-people-working-from-home

Team was entirely remote, which is cool, but remote across 43 countries, which is damn impressive!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hadn't seen it - an interesting read!  Particularly at Corona o'clock!
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I heard that the folks on Giantbomb were saying that the review code was pretty ropey in many ways. Beautiful, amazing game, huge improvement over the original etc etc..  beset by a lot of terrible bugs. The Bone version (and maybe the Steam version?) may have had a day one patch that sounds like it helps a great deal. The PC MS Store Gamepass version hasn't had any patch yet it seems.. 

I think I'll stick to poootling about in Divvy 2 and wait for a week or two till they patch it into shape. Looking forward to it eventually working well though, sounds lovely.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I had no technical hiccups during my (admittedly relatively brief) time with it last night.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I’m listening to the soundtrack via Apple Music and it’s better than the first. Obviously not as good as when you’re playing though.
  • Yeah I'm hearing very bad things about the gamepass version. FFS. It's really not on this sort of shit.
  • Are we talking PC or console? Has the console version not been day 1 patched then?
  • Yeah I'm hearing very bad things about the gamepass version. FFS. It's really not on this sort of shit.
    I never had an issue
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Are we talking PC or console? Has the console version not been day 1 patched then?

Mine has
  • I assume mine has been patched automatically too then. It's listed as version 1.041 or something on the game info page.
  • Apparently it was more or less unplayable and thus un-reviewable on the xbox-s which is kinda amazing for a console exclusive.  MS asked people to hold back on their reviews until the day one patch had landed.  I’m guessing if you’re playing it on an S and it’s not freezing and juddering at 4 frames per second then you’ve been patched.
  • I'm playing OG Bone and it's been flawless performance wise.

Seems a little standard Ori fare so far though, aside from the combat which hasn't really clicked yet.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah I've got the first couple of power ups etc, and enjoying it well enough, but all a bit linear so far and the combat/low energy/unclear checkpointing isn't brilliant, but I'm still very much looking forward to more...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Isla is enjoying, and it looks pretty. I just help with the difficult jumps, and when she gets lost.
  • I'm playing on a Bone S and it has the feel of a game in need of a few fixes if I'm honest. I'm enjoying it, and I'm mindful of being THAT GUY with the patch talk, but poor performance is a bugbear of mine, especially unstable framerates. I'm not fussed about moar pretties or 4K or making an incremental jump to your Pro's or your X's or whatever, but technical hitches get my goat. If a game can't run smoothly just dial the shines down a notch is my expert-as-ever advice to developers.

I've had one full freeze - hardly the end of the world! - but numerous soft freezes when entering areas and a few framerate splutters, like someone's spinning a hand crank to get the action back up to fluid. The map takes too long to pull up too (the swines!).

It's not enough to make me hold off on it, but it's not the buttery smooth, ultra polished Ori I'm accustomed to at this moment imo. It's a patch away from perfection though (which is probably the root of my grumbling, this isn't my usual fun & done type of game, it's a legit GotY contender).
  • Is this a Preview of future bone s games releases when the series x gets out? Seems silly to have glitchy, somewhat unplayable games on lesser consoles just so you can say a game plays on all versions of your console brand.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Could my problems be caused by the fact that I've got less than a GB of freeze space on my Bone? Or because I've never cleared the cache or something? I'm seeing talk of the day one patch game being fine elsewhere too, maybe it's just me.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Is this a Preview of future bone s games releases when the series x gets out? Seems silly to have glitchy, somewhat unplayable games on lesser consoles just so you can say a game plays on all versions of your console brand.

This was always my worry with the mid gen jumps, the fact that it's scaling again suggests aye, probably.

On paper I think it's a great idea though, moving away from forced upgrades is a good thing for my tastes, I just hope the older machines see releases fit for release going forward (not suggesting this game isn't, just in general).
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Could my problems be caused by the fact that I've got less than a GB of freeze space on my Bone? Or because I've never cleared the cache or something? I'm seeing talk of the day one patch game being fine elsewhere too, maybe it's just me.

I'm on base bone and I've had no stutters, slow down, freezes or crashes so far...

I've gotta say the game is not really grabbing me. There are a number of annoyances. The map chiefly among them - it takes ages to bring up, there's no shortcut button like Hollow Knight - but the biggest problem is the giant Ori icon that gets right in the way of anything you're looking at, and requires you to actually move away from where you're standing to get a look at where you actually are, forcing you to close and reopen the map and wait again. Bad design really. That was something that got to me in the first game. Exploration is a big part of a game like this, I don't know how they didn't think to tweak it.

I'm having a lot of trouble parsing scenery from actual negotiable terrain too. The pretties can actually be a bit much sometimes. Signposting in the early game is a bit wank too. I'll keep going I guess.

I think metroidvanias have been spoiled for me after the wondrous HK. Going back to that game now just makes you realise how much they got right with it.
  • Freeze space.

The select button is the map shortcut for me. There are three rails of options and the shortcut becomes whatever you've left it on iirc.
  • Hollow Knight was a revolution/revelation in terms of progression. It's the only one I've played where exploration felt player led to any real extent. Ori says go here, and making your way there is the crux of the gameplay, whereas Hollow Knight was more go anywhere, but with the player sort of organically weeding out dead ends over time. I like both, in fairness I probably prefer the more linear Ori approach on the whole, but HK was a genuine lightning-in-a bottle masterpiece.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah well said.  Think I preferred the openness, which is unusual, as too open does my head in.  Definitely feeling more linear here (indeed objective markers on the map, which HK only did for the final three bosses IIRC).

FWIW, BoneX also stutters slightly going to the map, but that's kinda it.
  • Positive Ori stuff - once you've got three weapons the combat becomes a joy. Definitely not an afterthought this time.
  • I’m going to wait for a patch on this.
  • I'm 15% in, and waiting sounds like a good shout, there's plenty of other good stuff to play in the meantime. I'll persevere with it as is because it's got me in its grip now (a few abilities in and it's started to become everything I wanted), but I would've held off if I'd known the day one patch didn't dot the i's for base level Boners.

It's absolutely glorious though.

Edit: Could it just be an S thing, if chalice is having no problems on an original Xbox One? Are they not essentially the same?
  • I've seen many complaints for bone X fwiw. Might be a thing.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The select button is the map shortcut for me. There are three rails of options and the shortcut becomes whatever you've left it on iirc.

I'm not following you here sorry. Are there options to set the map??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!