The British Politics Thread
  • All the people going for May's job will 100% no deal Brexit. There is no more negotiation team even working on this in Brussels and the EU appoints its new commissioner or whatever on the 1st of November.

I don't understand why people think there will be a renegotiation of anything. These candidates are deep sea fishermen and this is just the final bits of fuckery time wasting required by those who want a no deal exit to waste time over the summer and cause the "accidental" no deal.

Best case scenario is May's successor accepts the deal. The old fucks in the Tory membership aren't going to put a 2nd ref candidate in imho.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I reckon that, if needs be, Bercow is willing to raze precedent to the ground to stop that happening, and he’ll have the support of the majority of MPs too.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    These candidates are deep sea fishermen...

Chuckled! XD
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Tempy wrote:
    Amazing stuff on Newsnight according to the BBC, some Johnathon Islay getting interviewed about Dominic Raab and he's talking about some fascinating Panorama documentary where Raab "was demanding things of the EU that even Theresa May wasn't!" which makes Raab sound like the man we want!

What was the actual clip? Well it was Barnier in conversation saying that Raab was demanding if the EU didn't accept the UKs demands in the Chequers white paper then the EU would be to blame for the border issue in Ireland, which ran counter to what Barnier had heard from May or the rest of the Brexit negotiation team. When asked to clarify by Barnier if that was actually his stance, Raab backed down and immediately took it back.

So rather than being banal, I find the whole affair fucking terrifying.

This really is terrifying. Raab regurgitated some ERG weak sauce argument that the U.K. wouldn’t enforce its own fucking borders unless it gets its way. Faced with the prospect of this being taken seriously instead of ‘scaring them’ or whatever he intended, he immediately took it back. Raab is seriously dumb and has no idea what he’s doing. None at all. He’s probably the worst of the bunch. Johnson would at least be too bored by negotiations to do much of it and then leave it to his staff.

Possibly the only thing that stopped Raab was realising he was changing govt Brexit policy on the fly and he’d be sacked.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sounds like Johnson’s won the support of the ERG. Raab is surely fucked now.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Sounds like Johnson’s won the support of the ERG. UK is surely fucked now.

Fixed that for ya buddy.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Johnson’s less scary than Raab.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean, we’ve basically got no good choices here anyway, but Raab was surely the worst.
  • Fair point.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Rory Stewart has said that he would support the motion being brought forward by Labour and the opposition parties to block no deal.

He’s definitely the least-worst option right now, fake selfies or no.
  • Saw that, he has also just sunk any outside chance he had.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I mean, we’ve basically got no good choices here anyway, but Raab was surely the worst.

He's a delusional madman, Johnson is an opportunist. I know which I prefer!

I mean, Raab IS worse than trump

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    On the insane spectrum we have Raab at one end and poor old reasonable Stewart at the other.

Votability will probably peak somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

Raab is probably psychopathic. Not joking.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • A few of the many highlights from the voting record of a man fooling people by looking like your disheveled nephew at a family christening:

Voted against smoking bans
    Voted to sell Britain's state owned forests
    Voted against laws promoting greater equal rights
    Voted against an investigation into the Iraq War
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - a quick read of that link reveals the typical Tory monster. Sighs.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t know that he’s fooling people, he’s just the only candidate who seems remotely in touch with reality with regards to the biggest immediate issue the country is facing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We ain’t doing nothing about climate change if we’re scrambling to cope with the effects of a no-deal Brexit.
  • Roujin wrote:

That link is awesome. (for the providing of information, not anything relating to Stewart)

Any chance anyone knows of a similar for the Irish Government (I'm guessing there isn't )
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian wrote:
    We ain’t doing nothing about climate change if we’re scrambling to cope with the effects of a no-deal Brexit.

At least we’ll be cutting emissions on a grand scale when we have no manufacturing industry left, and we’re no longer importing/exporting as much.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Heard some stuff about the future of Green Britain today. A fine idea, but ultimately irrelevant unless China, India and the USA get onboard innit?
  • Fucking China and India producing all that shit we demand to consume in the west but only at the lowest possible prices, I can't believe they aren't cleaning up their act for us. Disgraceful.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    If you want.
  • I know we’ve had this chat before Rouj, but there’s another side to it. While it’s true that we’ve driven them to produce industrial quantities of shit for us, and it would certainly be better if they didn’t, China and India are primarily producing it for themselves now. We’re only a small part of their output.
  • I get that, I don't have the stats for the proportion of emissions for products and services going to the west vs domestic consumption in India and China, but i still say that we should make a contribution in those countries to reduce the portion of pollution produced making stuff for us.

Either financially, or we help put the required infrastructure in ourselves.

Imho and that.

We should set an example for the rest of the world to follow, unfortunately we are a tinpot, backward looking and increasingly stupid nation who has squandered its place on the world stage over the last few decades and so no one is going to take one bit of notice of anything we do.
  • Trade deals should include required commitments to sustainability. That’d be a start.

Shame we’re leaving the EU, where that actually happens.
  • Heard some stuff about the future of Green Britain today. A fine idea, but ultimately irrelevant unless China, India and the USA get onboard innit?

China will take any advance you can give them in renewables. They are expanding all areas of power generation, but renewables outstrip fossil fuels and nuclear. They spend nearly half the amount the world spends each year on renewable technology.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    That link is awesome. (for the providing of information, not anything relating to Stewart) Any chance anyone knows of a similar for the Irish Government (I'm guessing there isn't )

It is a great resource - didn't know such a thing existed.
  • Does it tell you if the votes were whipped, though?
    Junior ministers are expected to vote with the government aren't they?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!