The British Politics Thread
  • The Queen has consented.
    Thus killing off the Royal family once these boomers fuck off into the ground.
  • The privy council held by the Queen at Balmoral has approved an order to prorogue or suspend parliament on a date between 9 and 12 September till 14 October. It is not clear what MPs can do to stop this, even if Speaker Bercow is on their side (which he is).

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1166711916229734400

Buckle up twats, this is it. Revolution incoming.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Page turn might have made folk miss my wee post.

Rees Mogg part of that as a privy counsellor.

Those names should be remembered if this goes bad.

The Queen can't really intervene.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Gosh, but just think how much worse this chaos would have been with Ed Milliband, eh?
  • YO ITS GUILLOTINE TIME LETS FUCKING GO.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • This will be the longest suspension of Parliament since 1945 apparently.Doesn't sound particularly business as usual to me.
  • davyK wrote:
    She can, she didn't.
    She is only obliged to follow the advice of the PM if they show they hold the majority backing in Parliament.
  • Well, the problem is we haven't proven he doesn't yet. He was sworn in and then they broke of for recess. He's had no votes to lose. He has Schrödinger's majority at the moment.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Shami Chakrabarti claims she predicted this plan to shut down parliament... I also claim to have a 15inch schlong, and an early build of Zelda 2.
    Well I mean, quite a few people predicted this. There was a story in the Observer over the weekend detailing exactly this, which No 10 denied at the time.

You're right. No one seems surprised by this at all.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I wondered about a recall of Parliament, but it looks like the request has to come from the Government.

Beyond tabling a VONC as soon as Parliament comes back, what can be done?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    She can, she didn't.
    She is only obliged to follow the advice of the PM if they show they hold the majority backing in Parliament.

Or if you know that this will overtake the coverage of your son being a nonce in the press.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    She can, she didn't. She is only obliged to follow the advice of the PM if they show they hold the majority backing in Parliament.

Of course she can.

But really she can't. She's the Head of the Church of England. Church is separated from State.

It she did it would create an even greater crisis than where we our now. We would be down the road of becoming a republic.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I wondered about a recall of Parliament, but it looks like the request has to come from the Government. Beyond tabling a VONC as soon as Parliament comes back, what can be done?

Remember, Jo Swinson has repeatedly said she will do anything and everything to stop No deal. So, don't worry. I'm sure anything and everything means anything and everything, including supporting Corbyn over no deal. 

Also, Brexit means Brexit.
    Strong and Stable.
    Chaos under Miliband.
  • I saw suggestion that this is a power play for a people vs parliament election. It seems the most logical thing because it feels inevitable that Johnson will be defeated in a vote of no confidence now - but he (and Cummings) can spin a yarn to Christmas on this.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I saw suggestion that this is a power play for a people vs parliament election. It seems the most logical thing because it feels inevitable that Johnson will be defeated in a vote of no confidence now - but he (and Cummings) can spin a yarn to Christmas on this.

So that line of reasoning would suggest that Boris would call an election, probably on the day that parliament reopens. It's a dumb thing to ask, but parliament has to be open for an election to take place, I guess?
  • The No Dealers will scream and turn up, sure, but I think there's a good number of Brexiters who wouldn't, and don't want to, countenance no deal. Anecdotal, but I think the only way the Tory's get a majority out of that play is an apathetic hate-government-why-even-bother-i'm-tired-of-voting collapse.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I saw suggestion that this is a power play for a people vs parliament election. It seems the most logical thing because it feels inevitable that Johnson will be defeated in a vote of no confidence now - but he (and Cummings) can spin a yarn to Christmas on this.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/28/boris-johnson-election-prorogue-parliament-populist-majority
  • As long as no deal passes it is job done for Boris and friends.
    I never thought he had any ambition beyond it.

Boris, Baker, Mogg, Fatty pig boy. None of them give a shit really. 
    The likes of Gove, Hancock and Rudd probably believe the Tories can continue after this, fools.
  • No deal. Blame Remainers for the fall out as they prevented the govt from adequate planning with all their devious Remainy shenanigans. Win an election. Fourth Reich by Christmas.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I honestly think Johnson’s going for a deal, he’s just trying to bounce Parliament into it at the last moment using the threat of no deal as leverage.
  • monkey wrote:
    The privy council held by the Queen at Balmoral has approved an order to prorogue or suspend parliament on a date between 9 and 12 September till 14 October. It is not clear what MPs can do to stop this, even if Speaker Bercow is on their side (which he is).

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1166711916229734400

Buckle up twats, this is it. Revolution incoming.

1280px-Bouchot_-_Le_general_Bonaparte_au_Conseil_des_Cinq-Cents.jpg

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I honestly think Johnson’s going for a deal, he’s just trying to bounce Parliament into it at the last moment using the threat of no deal as leverage.

What deal though? Mays? Some unknown shite he hasn't even discussed with the EU yet?
  • Yossarian wrote:

Nah, Boris is going to force a no deal. All his moves are an indication towards it. The cunt really, really isn't bluffing. It's Randian utopia time, make or break! If the US can do it, the UK should make a break for it as well!
    hunk wrote:
    It's all part of Boris' masterplan. Either the EU gives in on the backstop and the Brexiteers have their unicorns. Or the UK crashes out of the EU accidentally. For Boris it's a win-win situation either way. Plan A is the issue of Northern Ireland solved (lol). Plan B is the gears of disaster capitalism kick in. Perfect conditions to establish the basis for a Randian laissez faire economy. And an excuse to privatise all of the UK's assets opening up the market to the US. The art of the deal at work. Boris will first have to fend of Farage and Corbyn in a ge though. If all goes to plan the Tory Brexiteers will be millionaires in the next 10 years. Easy peasy.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • This all just seems so...irrational?  All of it, since 2016.

I'm looking at emigrating somewhere safe and non shitty.  Where's left though?  Even dreamy Trudeau has shown his true colours.
  • China. Perfectly harmonious.
  • It is all gonna be fine. Relax.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    It is all gonna be fine. Relax.

Got any reasoning to offer, chief?

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    It is all gonna be fine. Relax.

Got any reasoning to offer, chief?

He meant for him.
  • Is he moving to Singapore?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

What deal though? Mays? Some unknown shite he hasn't even discussed with the EU yet?

May’s deal plus any vague shift that he can get out of the EU which he can claim as a victory.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!