The British Politics Thread
  • How not? It was them who took the Lib Dems into coalition with the Tories and taunted Cameron by asking for an in/out ref on the EU. Charles Kennedy would never have countenanced it. If he hadn't been deposed, we wouldn't have had austerity and we wouldn't be in this Brexit bollocks mess.
  • I can’t believe you’re actually doubling down on this.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Orange Book takeover of the Lib Dems really was the worst thing to happen to British politics wasn't it?

Mate just cos it had half life 2 and not halo...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    How not? It was them who took the Lib Dems into coalition with the Tories and taunted Cameron by asking for an in/out ref on the EU. Charles Kennedy would never have countenanced it. If he hadn't been deposed, we wouldn't have had austerity and we wouldn't be in this Brexit bollocks mess.

That's a bit like placing the blame for Brexit on Corbyn.
  • I think this was not written with the intention of making Rees-Mogg seem like an insufferable cunt, but I really can't tell because of how spectacularly it fails. I think I hate him even more now.

Sorry, Mail link

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7464339/LORD-ASHCROFT-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-millions.html
  • Thing is, you only need one quick glance in his direction to tell what kind of objectionable cunt he is, so any attempt to make him seem less reptilian and more human and likeable is doomed to failure.

He’s just one of those people, the type that children instinctively recoil from. He’ll always look like a ventriloquist’s dummy possessed by evil spirits. A Victorian back street abortionist. 1950’s London’s most petty and vindictive traffic warden...

His very being just radiates greed, pomposity, cruelty, lack of compassion and slimy, upper class malevolence. He could spend his entire fortune on trying to cultivate a positive public image and still not make a dent with the vast majority of the country because who and what he is so readily apparent to even the dimmest and most easily fooled of citizens.
  • He has had the same nanny for 50 years.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    He’s just one of those people, the type that children instinctively recoil from. He’ll always look like a ventriloquist’s dummy possessed by evil spirits. A Victorian back street abortionist. 1950’s London’s most petty and vindictive traffic warden...

It's very good that we don't have upvoting code, but sometimes I want to throw all the likes at a piece of text here.
  • +1
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Thing is, you only need one quick glance in his direction to tell what kind of objectionable cunt he is, so any attempt to make him seem less reptilian and more human and likeable is doomed to failure. He’s just one of those people, the type that children instinctively recoil from. He’ll always look like a ventriloquist’s dummy possessed by evil spirits. A Victorian back street abortionist. 1950’s London’s most petty and vindictive traffic warden... His very being just radiates greed, pomposity, cruelty, lack of compassion and slimy, upper class malevolence. He could spend his entire fortune on trying to cultivate a positive public image and still not make a dent with the vast majority of the country because who and what he is so readily apparent to even the dimmest and most easily fooled of citizens.

I really fucking love your input. I actually posted that hoping to bait a comment from you
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Liked.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    May or may not be a strange observation, but with all the high profile turncoats in the Libdems, and an unproven leader, how do you see things turning out for them in the long run?

Can't see Chuka towing the line with Swinson in charge until the end of days...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I think they could do well in a GE. 
    Boris is heavily chasing the Farager vote but imo is totally neglecting the traditional Conservative voter. There is absolutely nothing conservative about what Boris is doing. 

Blairites, Cameronites, Conservative Tories and traditional Lib Dem voters could all potentially vote Lib Dem. They could take middle England.
  • Seeing the comments on Twitter about the RNLI actually make me want to campaign for Brexit.  Fucking bring the place crashing down.
  • The lifeboat people?
  • I actually think Boris’ electoral hand is quite strong. I don’t think he, as a person, is a particularly great 1V1 debater but I also don’t think his hand relies solely upon appealing to Brexit Party voters.

He’ll go after them, aye, but he’ll also appeal to the people on leave and remain who “just want it over with” by claiming he did his best to have it done by the 31st. Then he’ll have the double-democratic full-house of “I tried to respect the referendum” and “I tried to give the people an election”.

I don’t necessarily see a majority but with the Lib Dems not playing ball, and continued attacks from them on Corbyn only helping the Conservative attacks...it doesn’t help instil confidence.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    Seeing the comments on Twitter about the RNLI actually make me want to campaign for Brexit.  Fucking bring the place crashing down.
    LivDiv wrote:
    The lifeboat people?

Any context matt? I'm as flummoxed as liv.
  • The Royal National Lifeboat Institute has been forced to defend its work saving lives overseas after an article on the Mail Online sparked an angry backlash on social media.

The story highlighted how the charity – famed for its distinctive orange lifeboats manned by volunteers – spends £3.3m a year on projects in Tanzania and Bangladesh yet has been forced to cut around 100 jobs in the UK.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/rnli-overseas_uk_5d7e3062e4b077dcbd5fdc24

Original mail article was something like “RNLI slash jobs in U.K. to pay for Burkinis in Tanzania”
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Cheers monkey. The mail really needs to just fuck off.
  • The comments are the trash I would expect and the article is clearly there to provoke them.

I would like more info though.
    The RNLI's primary mandate is to help people in British and Irish waters so that should come above helping overseas. I am fine with anything above that going over seas of course.

I would rather know where these jobs were lost within the charity, why and what that means before picking any side.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Seeing the comments on Twitter about the RNLI actually make me want to campaign for Brexit.  Fucking bring the place crashing down.
    LivDiv wrote:
    The lifeboat people?
    Any context matt? I'm as flummoxed as liv.

Aye mostly in response to this. https://twitter.com/RNLI/status/1173153355897679874
  • All these cunts boycotting it, I bet they change their tune if the ever had need of them.
  • I actually think Boris’ electoral hand is quite strong. I don’t think he, as a person, is a particularly great 1V1 debater but I also don’t think his hand relies solely upon appealing to Brexit Party voters. He’ll go after them, aye, but he’ll also appeal to the people on leave and remain who “just want it over with” by claiming he did his best to have it done by the 31st. Then he’ll have the double-democratic full-house of “I tried to respect the referendum” and “I tried to give the people an election”. I don’t necessarily see a majority but with the Lib Dems not playing ball, and continued attacks from them on Corbyn only helping the Conservative attacks...it doesn’t help instil confidence.

Boris will try to accidentally stumble the UK past the Leave deadline.
    He'll probably be stopped by parliament but that won't stop Boris and his team from trying. If Boris succeeds the UK will be in a legal limbo the Leave team will try to exploit by calling their ge. Yes, it's an incredibly stupid plan but they are so tantalisingly close to their Randian utopia. They've come this far, they can't stop now. So close yet so far away? They'll explore every legal loophole they can uncover to make it work.

Only if the above seems totally unfeasible (because: parliament, laws and accountability) team Boris will back pedal and go for either an extension (likely) or a last minute scrappy deal (very unlikely). In all the above cases a ge will be on the cards powered by the myth of backstab; the EU, traitors and remoaners cost us our beautiful Brexit. Vote for me to get your revenge etc. Hulk, smashhh!!!!!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yeah, he’s setting it up for some tedious ‘the people vs parliament’ election campaign where he’s the dangerous outsider who doesn’t play by their rules.

“All this faffing, let’s just get it over with - am I right? These politicians, in their ivory towers denying us our democratic choice ... the people have spoken, so let’s just jolly well get on with it! Unlike that chlorinated chicken Corbyn I promise to hulk smash my way to Brexit!”

*bangs lectern repeatedly*

People are stupid enough to fall for it too. Boris Johnson - the maverick, the rebel, the people’s idiot...

Just the thought of another Tory government is sickening.
  • I'm seeing the shift like this.

Labour
    Gain:
    Young working class
    Young socially conscious middle class
    Come of age voters

Lose:
    Old working class 
    Young non-conscious working class

Tory
    Gain:
    Racists
    Hardline Brexiteers

Lose:
    Middle class young and middle aged
    Upper class remainers
    Young previously deluded remainers
    Dead people

Lib Dem
    Gain:
    Everyone Tories lose except the dead obviously. Young Middle class split between them and Lab.
    Hardline remainers

Lose:
    Next to no-one but they didn't have a large pool to start.

Brexit Party
    Gain:
    No-one

Lose:
    All but the violent, militant racists.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The comments are the trash I would expect and the article is clearly there to provoke them.

I would like more info though.
    The RNLI's primary mandate is to help people in British and Irish waters so that should come above helping overseas. I am fine with anything above that going over seas of course.

I would rather know where these jobs were lost within the charity, why and what that means before picking any side.

2% of their spending goes on international work, and they’ve strongly implied that a large chunk of that is International Development Fund donations they wouldn’t have got otherwise.

Whilst their primary mandate is British and Irish waters, international work is not a new thing for them to be doing. Even the original founding resolutions from 1824 went so far as to include - “That the subjects of all nations be equally objects of the Institution....”

It’s true that they’ve made cuts in the UK though they claim this has been chiefly to initiatives they felt had little impact, and they’re still trying to ascertain whether the drop in income is a blip, or a persistent trend. (I suspect if it proves the latter then their international work may well take a hit.)

Their accounts and annual report are publicly available and none of it is really news as far as I can tell. I get the impression the Mail has suddenly decided to agitate chiefly because some of the money was spent on burquinis...

To be honest, my only issue with the RNLI is the fact that a rich island like this relies on a bloody charity to fish people out of the sea in the first place...
  • That's the problem innit.
    They are a charity and a charity is a business with tax cuts.
    If they were a national service like they should be it would be easy to see 100 job cuts for what they are.

As a business 100 job cuts could mean anything. I strongly suspect it is bucket shakers but he headlines are easily manipulated. I dont expect anything fro The Mail but other outlets should do better in getting those facts to counter The Mail.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's exciting that Boris is about to solve Brexit
  • Juncker reveals after lunch with Boris Johnson he is still waiting to hear workable UK backstop plan

It's so secret, he can't even tell the EU what it is.
  • it's very simple Dante. The plan is to avoid a border but leave the EU.

now maybe you're thinking that leaving the EU implies a border, but you're just not showing enough British pluck and ingenuity.  we didn't single handedly win 16 world wars by explaining how to do something.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!