The British Politics Thread
  • God can he not just fuck all the way off?
  • Thought this was the religion thread for a second.
  • Kent testing centre closed to make room for lorry park.
    A perfect analogy to describe the government and its priorities.
  • I know its been repeatedly demonstrated that Tory MPs are the most gullible dickheads ever to have lived, but if you're seeking assurances from Boris fucking Johnson over a Bill that represents that man reneging on an agreement then I've got a ferry company I'd like you to give a contract to.
  • Is there a more useless cunt in employment than Hancock?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • The only slim defence I would give Hancock is that he is doing 10x more media than any other cabinet member right now and about 100x that of the PM.
    It is expected that the Health Secretary is more visible in a health crisis but I'm wondering when he is actually supposed to do his job.
  • I know its been repeatedly demonstrated that Tory MPs are the most gullible dickheads ever to have lived, but if you're seeking assurances from Boris fucking Johnson over a Bill that represents that man reneging on an agreement then I've got a ferry company I'd like you to give a contract to.

Once again, they're bought off with any old shit.
  • They must be hoping that the hint of breaking the law was part of some 4d chess to get the eu to cave.

• Even if they were to believe Bohnson would put it to a parliament vote why would they think the outcome would be different to what literallly just happened?

Make no mistake this whole pretence is about these MPs protecting their reputations and in the case of law professionals their careers when they inevitably have to go back to work in the real world. Especially those in red wall seats that know their position is precarious.
  • I think it this would be a defeat if push came to shove so they are doing every thing they can to delay the critical question. If this could be pushed through so easily surely it would be?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Even if they were to believe Bohnson would put it to a parliament vote why would they think the outcome would be different to what literallly just happened?

Make no mistake this whole pretence is about these MPs protecting their reputations and in the case of law professionals their careers when they inevitably have to go back to work in the real world. Especially those in red wall seats that know their position is precarious.

From what I can see there seemed to be a fair old concensus from legal professionals not under the thumb of No 10 that putting a vote in to activate the powers is irrelevant, as the act of passing this bill would violate international law, not as and when a later vote to use them happened. If thats the case any lawyer who votes for this is fucked.

I fully expect them to do so as well.
  • Expect a whole bunch of lords!
  • Yeah from what I can gather entertaining the bill probably breaks international law, passing it does, acting on it will result in literal repurcussions.

I guess that lawyers in parliament will distance themselves by stating it wasn't mandate when they signed up and will continue to not vote for it in the hope they won't be removed from the bar.
  • phew - the backbenchers are on side and that's all that matters for the next 4 and a bit years.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This was predicted from the get go. That the legalities made Brexit impossible without repealing a law somewhere - the prime issue being the Good Friday Agreement.

The NI backstop was the issue that downed a PM. It didn't go away.

There was a lot of hand waving and dismissive comments about Project Fear and Remoaning....but it didn't go away. And here we are again.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Stop being such a fear mongerere Davy. We're British and by jove we will make Britain great again and take back control.
  • One thing we have to be careful about is criticising British people for this choice and act. This was not something that was put in front of them as something the government can do. The House of Lords can be ridiculously and exceptionally savage with the bill because of this
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Oh, it's entirely the Government's (and now the Tory Party as a whole) fault. It's not even like the WA was negotiated by a different government, BoJo signed off on it!
  • I find James o'brien quiet irritating but he was right about brexit falling apart as soon as some writes it down

• I'm surprised that this has come back tbh. I thought that Boris and co made their decision and that was to cut off NI from mainland UK. The proverbial border down the Irish sea. They lied and said that wasn't what was happening but that seemed to be their choice. 

So I don't quite know where this has come from. They must have known. If it's a negotiating tactic, it doesn't make sense either. This stuff has never worked with the EU. They say they want something. The UK says the opposite. There's very slight leeway given by the EU while the UK give way almost entirely. The hardball stuff has never worked. 

The only thing I can think is that the inevitable checks and border problems are now going to get blamed on the EU. They need some sort of drama around trade and Brexit to have happened between the last election and January 2021 to point to say it's the EU's fault and not a problem with the original WA.
  • It's a total mystery to me, why they've decided to damage themselves so badly on the international stage. It's entirely unnecessary: we all know not to take anything his bunch of con-artists says at face value, but looking at that briefly:

- If there were real issues with EU negotiating (breaking good faith, threats to integrity etc) then there are clearly defined and quite powerful resolution mechanisms right there in the WA. Why threaten to break the law when you could make the EU look terrible by bringing these bad faith negotiations into the light?

- The IMB doesn't even address the problems raised by the bad faith arguments! It's totally irrelevant, the most clear red herring you'll ever see

So it's totally incomprehensible, nonsensical even, at a "face value" inspection.

So what other aim or benefit could they have for this? The downsides are intensely terrible: forget anyone wanting to enter into detailed trade discussions with the UK post-Brexit now! Will Japan even ratify our FTD now in their parliament? Forget accession to the PFTT! It goes on and on: we're hosting Climate Change stuff soon, how can we possibly lecture other countries on their adherence to targets set by treaties now? It's a ludicrous joke.

OK so what are we getting for these terrible drawbacks? Can anyone identify anything, other than short term "blame the EU" bullshit that doesn't actually achieve anything tangible but keeps the braying brexiteer public on side?

If that's all it is, an attempt to kick the terrible prices of their decisions (or lack of decisions) down the road a bit further, then at some point the damage will be intolerable
  • We can blame the EU all we like for any checks and borders issues at the Irish border, but it will be a different prospect convincing all the little brexiteer smooth brains that we're sticking it to beaurocracy and taking back control if the US makes good on it's threat that any disruption caused to the Good Friday Agreement as a result of reinstating the Irish border will see our trade deal with them go in the bin.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The other day I think Gove was entertaining the angle that the UK wouldn't be breaking the GF agreement because it would be the EU that puts up a border.
    Obviously anyone with half a brain can see that while factually correct wouldn't be how the world sees it, particularly when Pelosi clearly stated as much.

I honestly don't know what they are doing but I can believe that they believe hardball will work on the EU. When has anything ever gone wrong for Bohnson? Look at the state of his personal life and his career and yet he is in the top political job in the UK, living with a hottie while banging young violinists. Why would he ever doubt his instincts.
  • Like I say: the price, the cost of these decisions (or perhaps, the kicking of paying the price of these decisions down the road) soon becomes unaffordable. The trouble is of course we'll all be paying this price, and for a very long time
  • Maybe all that matters to the conservatives (and Dominic Cummings) is creating an island state AI farm.
  • But even that doesn't work. You can't do shit with ML without data. And we're cutting off our access to some of the largest databases in the EU. Maybe there's some nefarious plan to swap UK databases for access to US data, now that we're out of the GDPR protections, but even then the US will hardly make a deal which weakens their own trillion dollar data companies. If that is really the plan it just once again shows up the poverty of the man's brain
  • I think the plan is for the disaster capitalists in the ERG to make a lot of money. I'm not sure how much thought has been put into anything beyond that, but thanks to dumdum conservative beliefs that an artifical hierarchy is necessary for society to function, they are pre-disposed to defer to authority, it seems to have been quite easy for them to find candidates who would stand during the election under the condition that they would only be given the opportunity to stand if they agreed to tow the party line on every single issue when required to vote.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • One thing we have to be careful about is criticising British people for this choice and act. This was not something that was put in front of them as something the government can do. The House of Lords can be ridiculously and exceptionally savage with the bill because of this

Whilst they couldn't have known about this specific bill, the level of competence, the frequency of lying and double crossing was there for all to see when they went into the voting booth in December and ticked a box that might as well have been marked "clearly against my own self interest".
  • Roujin wrote:
    I think the plan is for the disaster capitalists in the ERG to make a lot of money. I'm not sure how much thought has been put into anything beyond that, but thanks to dumdum conservative beliefs that an artifical hierarchy is necessary for society to function, they are pre-disposed to defer to authority, it seems to have been quite easy for them to find candidates who would stand during the election under the condition that they would only be given the opportunity to stand if they agreed to tow the party line on every single issue when required to vote.

See normally, my view is this is too simplistic, too conspiracy / cynical (no doubt there are those who want to make disaster capitalism money but). You could accuse me of assuming too much intelligence and strategic thinking in our leaders and their supporters - these guys are supposed to think long term, like cross generations to make sure their power lasts as a legacy.

But now I think the "elites" we have are woefully incapable of seeing beyond short term benefit, and it could literally be the case that they see dollar signs in the 6-18 months and fuck all beyond that.

The UK: we've even got shit elites

Whilst they couldn't have known about this specific bill, the level of competence, the frequency of lying and double crossing was there for all to see when they went into the voting booth in December and ticked a box that might as well have been marked "clearly against my own self interest".

Alternatively the choice was

1) the party that was definitely going to do brexit
    2) the party that might be doing brexit maybe

After the country had voted for brexit and voted in the conservatives as the biggest party the election directly afterwards. You can easily say the conservatives were the most trustworthy on certain points at the 2019 election.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!