The British Politics Thread
  • I’m no fan of Salmond. But his testimony yesterday, even hamstrung by the redactions, was compelling. I’ll wait until sturgeon’s evidence but right now I can’t see how she can continue, along with others implicated in his evidence.

If what he’s said is even half true, he’s right: the investigation into his (in my mind, certainly) shitty behaviour was not botched, it was criminally fucked up.

I know a lot of people have a hard on for sturgeon leading Scotland to independence, but I think she’s fucked it. If she does go, Depending on who takes over, it could put Indy ref2 back a bit (or a new person could inject pace?) but I still think it’ll happen and I’m not sure this will massively damage overall support for SNP

Scots thoughts plox?
  • It certainly doesn't look great if you follow the story, but I'm not sure how many people are. Sturgeon appearing herself will probably get more attention though.

She's still very popular according to the polls though and I suspect others going might be enough to put a stop to things, for the public at least. The press and the media would like to keep it going, but I'm not sure they're that influential up here any more.

Her going would be a two fold disaster, she's the most convincing leader by a long shot at the top of the party and various fault lines in the party would be aired if there was a leadership contest.

I've no idea where we actually are when it comes to an indyref to be honest, even without all this.
  • What does breaking the ministerial code even mean?

I would hope Scotland’s independence isn’t reliant on Sturgeon being a figurehead. That seems dumb as beans to me.
  • What does breaking the ministerial code even mean?

I would hope Scotland’s independence isn’t reliant on Sturgeon being a figurehead. That seems dumb as beans to me.

Based on our current Government ministers, absolutely fuck all.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I haven’t been following this but did spot a Scottish Tory minister being questioned on the news yesterday and he was making a huge deal about how it has destabilised democracy. I mean the sheer brass on the guy. When the reporter pointed out how Priti had broken the ministerial code and was not removed from office he did the use bluster bluster move on. I fucking hate Tory MP’s.
  • Westminster and the press are underestimating Sturgeon’s popularity and overestimating their own influence up here.

I suspect it’s only the traditionally politically active who can potentially be turned against her like this. The groundswell of wider public support she and the party have enjoyed since the first indyref won’t be shifted by scandals of political codes or reference to Salmond (who isn’t liked and represents the old guard of Scottish politics and all the cronyism that went with it).
  • I've not been following this (or any news really) with any great interest recently as I'm already depressed enough, but from what I have seen, it looks like Westminster/the associated media seem to think this will end independence once and for all. But as pop says, I think sturgeon is savvy/popular enough to ride it out and come out the other End on top. Even some of my staunchest indy supporters aren't salmond fans, or even sturgeon fans either - both of them were/are just a means to an end.
  • Worst case, Sturgeon should just say she'll resign when all the Tory ministers currently breaching the ministerial code resign.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I mean, being sacked from your post for lying doesn't seem to have hurt the current PM. 

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/video/boris-johnson-locked-out-of-house-itn-england-london-ext-news-footage/682007170
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • But part of her appeal is she’s not like them.
  • The newspapers today have gone as far as lying that Salmond said Scotland wasn't ready for independence. This is where we are with how desparate the MSM and unionists are.
    Look, if Sturgeon made an arse of things, if she broke the code, then there should be the same repercussions that happened to Hancock, Patel et Al.
    Westminster has treated Scotland like Shit. And we haven't forgotten. So, aye, keep on pretending this we circus is going to change our opinion about breaking away. Lmao.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I think you are conflating two very different things.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    With England's rep at a long-time low and Sturgeon the face of independence, it's gonna take serious dodginess to shift her. Everything else is so obviously what it is: the Tories trying to Starmerise the SNP through fear of losing power.

Could easily backfire and I hope it does. Sturgeon's pretty far to my right and I don't like or trust her, but at least she has elements of humanity versus her alternatives. Unless they manage to get rid and Black takes over... I'd buy that for a dollar.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I think you are conflating two very different things.

Nah. The thing that pisses me off is both the tories and MSM thinking the Scottish people are so stupid to buy their bullshit.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Rev wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    I think you are conflating two very different things.

Nah. The thing that pisses me off is both the tories and MSM thinking the Scottish people are so stupid to buy their bullshit.

What does this have to do with Chinese food?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Rev's talking about kinky sex.
  • News in the Telegraph about Rishi’s plans to tax freelancers harder in order to foot the bill of furlough. What. the. fuck.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You're just making free money Shaw
  • Tempy wrote:
    News in the Telegraph about Rishi’s plans to tax freelancers harder in order to foot the bill of furlough. What. the. fuck.

You aren't renting office space, so you must be punished.
  • Tempy wrote:
    News in the Telegraph about Rishi’s plans to tax freelancers harder in order to foot the bill of furlough. What. the. fuck.

Freelancers? How? Don’t you pay PAYE like normo permies, you just declare income yourself with self assessment?

I thought the rise was gonna be CT for business to pay on profits?
  • Apparently he is concerned about the different tax treatment we receive. I haven’t made enough to be taxed for 19-20 so I dunno what my contribution will be for 20-21, presumably not a huge amount. But I guess offering no support to 3 million freelancers and self/employed during furlough wasn’t enough.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well there's no point charging the people he gave support to, or he might as well have not given them support

Also, something something trickle down
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Also the fact freelancers get fuck all protection throughout running their business. No health no holiday etc. The ability to use the tax system to your benefit could make up for those hidden costs. Oh and that’s without client either paying late or completely screwing your and not paying at all.
  • I think I’m missing something. Is your tax treatment, as a freelancer, not exactly the same as normal permies, ie it’s PAYE but self assessed rather than calculated at source by payroll? So if you earn less than £12.5K you pay no income tax; if you earn more than that up to £40somethingK it’s 20% etc?
  • As far as I am aware. I dunno what Rishi’s on about.
  • From what I have read it is Corpo Tax going up and with no threshold changes to protect one man bands and small business it will effect freelancers and the like as many/most are salary-dividend.

The reasons for this are really about flexibility in payment reflecting variation in cash flow, not the tax difference a lot believe it is (which to be fair used to be different). Inused to have an image but can't find it. It broke down an income of £35k pre tax for PAYE, self employed and salary-dividend. S-D actually paid the most tax, followed by PAYE then self employed. The difference was negligible though.

One man bands like myself will either ride it out, up fees or they won't but the statistical impact will be missed.
    What it will do though is be the final push for many small businesses with employees which will add noticeably to the unemployed statistics. In the meantime the massive companies that have raked it in during the pandemic will still dodge it.

I'm not against tax increases but this will be a blunt instrument that won't achieve what it first appears to.
  • Actually I say I am ok with tax rises but I'm not with this budget.
    This isn't the time to try to recoup the costs of Covid. Give businesses time to get back on their feet, have the confidence to invest in projects and people, then look at taxes in 2022.
    The country isn't going bankrupt overnight, interest rates aren't going to suddenly spike.

The only tax I would support right now is long awaited changes to those who don't pay, particularly big tech.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agreed. The economic fallout for this is still far from over. Trying to get the money back now will, as you say, drive more small businesses to the wall.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Wealth and corpo taxes are the only taxes that should be going up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!