Star Wars Battlefront
  • Yeah they captured the Star Wars sound and visuals incredibly well but the gameplay was pretty rank in the first one. Can't just lean on those impressive visuals again. I don't think this will be the sales phenomenon a Star Wars shooter should be. Certainly a case of EA Access perhaps hindering sales more than anything. Edit: I'm talking shit aren't I? This will sell by the truck load.
    The last one lost a lot of the MP population very quickly, so I don't think this is a sure thing. Simply having a single player element probably adds a lot of Christmas sales though.
  • I can see it getting a lot of sales with the type of people who normally only buy FIFA and Ass Creed.
    It will look the tits in adverts and will no doubt be shown before screenings of Episode 8.

Retention will likely be low though.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Will definitely wait for Access. After playing it once have had absolutely no desire to go back.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Who in their right minds puts automatic doors where a base is being defended? All the defenders have to do is wait for the door to open and BLAMMO. Attackers getting mown down the second they get close enough to open one.

Or, conversely, the defenders can shoot from a doorway at the attackers in the distance and have an instashield by stepping back a few feet.

Game is one big jerking chokepoint. Absolutely rotten.
  • Sounds like DICE just giving gamers what they want so far. I imagine there is a position of Chokepoint Designer there.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • The only way I'd buy this, is if they include a load of VR missions. And I'd wait for a price reduction.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Its big dumb fun, where you die lots. I'm not a fan but can see the initial appeal.
  • Played this for a couple of hours. Completely meh.
  • Played a couple of games. It's got the shinies and the pew pew, but yeah it's basically bobbins. Only one map but it seems terrible, no verticality and just a bunch of chokepoints to get thermal detonated in. UI really doesn't help with knowing where to get to, objectives don't make much sense. Maybe squads are an optional thing you have to join? But there's no hope of cohesion in the initial group you spawn with, and if that is a 'squad' then why the heck are people in the air vehicles included?.. Probably me just missing something.

MVP most damage/kills at the end of a match can fuck off. Not promoting healthy team play at all.

If this was being sold for £20, with later DLC bringing it up to full price, then maybe I would consider it. Don't know anything about the campaign, but I doubt that would make it worthwhile.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I'm lovin it  :D

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Played this yesterday and actually enjoyed it, will be keeping an eye on reviews and more details. Shame the beta is only the one map.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • How do you get to those flying levels? I’ve just been doing the defend/attack the base level on Naboo
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Pew-Pew Mike.

qtNP2x8l.jpg
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    ... Shame the beta is only the one map.

No, there is another.

Spoiler:
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    ....and incredibly, it's worse than the first on offer :D
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    You still mushy from FNF?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It just hurts when it's Star Wars. It should be hamazing.
  • Will have to blame my squad leader for jot choosing the other map!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Cool will give those a go tonight
  • It's not amazing but i don't get the hate. 
    I'd love an actual Battlefield Star Wars though. 
    BF4 reskinned. Job done.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • They're in a weird place. They need to appeal to the people wanting Battlefield in a Star Wars skin, the people wanting a proper Battlefront and the millions of people who just want some Star Wars pew pew. I'm not sure they're up to it either.
  • Don't know how much longer the beta will last, but I'll give it a few more tries to see if I find more depth. I don't hate it, but it's just so overpriced. By the time it gets reduced enough for me to want to give it a proper go the player base will probably have eroded.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It's a taster...

M4BVK7tl.jpg

Nearly three times the locations, characters, vehicles, split screen local co-op plus a single player 
    campaign and all DLC Free keeps the value proposition high enough for the masses I'd only hope...

• Hmm, cool well I'll look into it some more then. I think EA games stuff has just gotten such a bad rep from all the nonsense over the years, I assumed it would be business as usual. If it's pretty much a flat price then it's a much more palatable deal, I guess that's a reaction to such criticisms, must have been hurting sales a bit.
  • And ALL dlc will be free innit?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yup Gurt, bought the overpriced Moran edition last time, even though a huge fan I felt short changed.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    And ALL dlc will be free innit?
    Yes, they're replacing it with pay to win chests apparently.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Beta’s open to all from today!

Fair comments on the first’s flaws and the big team battles still seem chaotic because no one squads up, communicates and plays the objective.

Strike mode is a more focused 8 vs 8 affair. Essentially capture the flag shenanigans which fits with my play style.

Starfighter level captivates and makes me feel as if I’m ten again, every moment grinning like a cat.

Personally, I learn the objectives then switch the HUD off and fully immerse myself into the Star Wars universe. Unconventional, but what a buzz to use your senses rather than rely on radars and icons cluttering up the stunning world. That’s entertainment.

I bounced right off this in the beta. But disappointed but I think it might have come down to not knowing where to go or what to do even after quite a long round. It says defend but you die straight away so that's kind of hard. It says attack but you die straight away so you only get a couple of hits in. It puts you in a squad but straight away they ran off, I lost sight of them and didn't know how to find them again. Not that it mattered because I died soon after.

I'd like to like it as, like Hair says, they nail the feel of being in Star Wars.
  • I find it weird because the multiplayer in BF1 is quite solid and I've enjoyed my time with that. Just reskin BF1 plz
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    And ALL dlc will be free innit?
    Yes, they're replacing it with pay to win chests apparently.

True, but it’s all the same to me if they’ve bought a randomised crate perk or earned it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!