B&B alblum of the week ... week 11 - Richard Thompson Rumors and Sigh
  • Early DEP is the coriest-of-math. I prefer their later stuff. Although Mike Patton turned up on this EP, and you can tell.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So mathcore is what stupid people call music that dares to be not 4/4.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm surprised they're even able to count the beats.
  • I dunno who coined it but it's usually associated with none-4/4 jerky, stilted heavy music with metal touches. So, yeah?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    yeah
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Has someone been messing about with Dropbox as this isn't there anymore (as well as almost everything else).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I noticed everything was gone except The End folder. I presumed somebody was spring cleaning.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's just Battles, you've done a Partridge.

FFS, and I edited the 'the' in.
  • Olimite wrote:
    Has someone been messing about with Dropbox as this isn't there anymore (as well as almost everything else).

Not me, logged in and out this morning, the usual folders were there iirc.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    That's a massive pain in the arse then. Last thing I want to do is start limiting access.
  • I'm on there now and there appears to be a restore option.  Am I likely to balls anything up by doing this for the Album of the Week folder?  The Spring cleaning was done at 10.58am, apparently.
  • I haven't been in it for ages, has someone deleted everything? Have all the other music thread things gone?
  • I just restored the folder.  I'm getting well good at technology.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Nice one Moot.
  • Lengthy review incoming.  Long story short:  I like this a lot.
  • Will get to it Sunday.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm enjoying it but there's a fair bit of filler in there.
  • Got to it today. Enjoyed the first half.

What genre are we talking these days, does it have a name?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I'm dreadful with genres, I couldn't tell you sorry. Wikipedia says they're alternative rock which doesn't seem descriptive enough.
  • I'm always on the look out for something rough edged that straddles the line between heavy rock and metal.  I find it quite regularly, but I need decipherable lyrics too, which means I often end up sulking even if instruments are being bashed in an agreeable way.  I like the crunch and cacophony of metal, but can't abide gruff nonsensical devil bellowing - it makes me cringe, and often leaves me wondering whether certain records are sending up the genre.  There's stuff I've latched onto over the years that I can handle for various reason: Baroness, the first Mastodon album, Red Fang and a few more, but on the whole I'm on the outside looking in.  It's a genre I have a conscious desire to appreciate (hello, jazz), but don't get on with.  I'm a lyrics man, hence my country/folk leanings, so I only dabble in metal and its many sub-genres.  IS*S, Earth, Fall of Efrafa and the instrumental stuff appeals, but I never stay away from words for too long.  Papa needs his stories.

The Weird and Wonderful Marmozets, then.  I can't think of an album I've enjoyed so immediately this year (perhaps The Ruffian's Misfortune by Ray Wylie Hubbard, but I was so worried it wouldn't be as good as I'd hoped I was relieved more than anything during the first spin).  It's unlikely to be a record that sits at the top of my inevitable year-end list (never say never though), simply because it's not a genre that goosebumps me very often, and I need goosebumps to completely fill the Mootometer, but this is a breath of fresh air and I'm extremely keen on it.  Looking at the list in my drawer at work it currently has the second highest score of the new and newish albums I've listened to this year (8.5).

It's such a lively record, and there's plenty going on in terms of sub-genre shifts.  It doesn't maintain the aforementioned roughness throughout, Captivate You is a bit Black Stone Cherry in the way the rough edges are sanded down.  Ordinarily it might be a track I'd describe as weak, because I wouldn't like it out of context, but it's got an odd arms-aloft, turn-the-small-venue-into-a-stadium thing.  Vibtech is immense, I love it.  Again, this is odd though, as maybe I couldn't stomach a whole album of it, but its inclusion is more than welcome as the band has won me over, to the point where I'm first in line to go with the flow. 

I'm listening again as I type this, and it's a cracking album.  It's like Sleater Kinney cranked up 35%.  I wonder how they'll sound in a few years.  I was ridiculously keen on The Hold Steady for their first two albums, it was real bar band/garage rock extra special stuff (particularly the almost perfect Separation Sunday), but from that point their sound became diluted and cleaned up to the point where none of their albums since would make me a fan, and I'm probably done.  You could replace The Hold Steady with The Black Keys at the start of this paragraph, or shitloads of other bands over the years, and it's probably too early to worry about this with The Marmozets, but it's popped into my head every time I've listened to it, so I thought I'd write it down.  Will they change horses in mid stream when the success comes?  'Cos it's coming, imo.  Great stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's a bit of a Faith No More vibe off it, metal veering into pop.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So yeah, I like this too. As people have said, it straddles the line between Pop and metal. I usually go the other way, as personal favourites of mine are people like Deafheaven, but yeah, this has a real catchy spark to it, and I can see myself putting it on heavy rotation. That's two for two so far on here, for me, keep it up.
  • It's funny you both describe it that way cause I chose it specifically because it was at the poppier end of the spectrum, thought it would be more accessible than some of the other possible choices (moot would have definitely hated the other options :D ). Glad it's gone down well with a few of you :)
  • Outlaw wrote:
    (moot would have definitely hated the other options :D :)

Thank goodness.  It might be 'radio friendly' in places but at times it's pretty damn heavy.  Big, big Faith no More fan at work (he buys support act side projects and he's 6ft7), I'm gonna run it by him as soon as he's finished rubbing one out over his Japanese bonus track copy of Sol Invictus.
  • It's funny, they're on Roadrunner Records (known for their metal bands) but they tour with a right odd bunch of bands. They're on tour with Muse and The Used this year, and my tickets to see them are for them supporting Lonely the fucking Brave, the most insipid, beige band I can think of.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    In my day Rr records wasfor the lolz of music. Fair play if theyve evolved
  • Like who? They've always had a fairly decent line up of bands that I know of.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    Like who? They've always had a fairly decent line up of bands that I know of.

We are harlot, wild throne etc
  • Well We Are Harlot are fairly new so that's hardly in your day! But I agree they are utter fucking shite though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!