Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Dante's track is the worst thing I've ever heard.
  • It wouldn't be a playlist without Kow moaning.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Actually it might be marginally less bad than that crap Adkm put one time, but that's not saying much.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    On initial listening, I think this is the best Curated mix so far. Well done all.

Agreed, I've listened a few times now.  Is @XOmuggins organising the playlist?  Got a few scribbles ready to post about each selection.  Raveonettes track is the best thing I've heard of theirs.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I think it's a little too long personally. Needs some TLC with regards to ordering. Don't agree it's the best though.
  • No Scrubs or Waterfalls?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Got to agree with the 'dragged on a bit too long' criticism but apart from that I enjoyed it. Listening to it in stages helped but I got a bit weary towards the end (ironically).

Highlights: Eno, Scott Walker, Sundays, Talk Talk, Coldcut, Nick Cave, Hot Chip, Curtis Mayfield

Lowlights: Alkaline Trio didn't do much for me (sorry Dante), nor the Raveonettes and listening to metal is always a chore for me personally, nothing on here was really appalling/unlistenable mind (although Alkaline Trio isn't one I ever need to hear again)

I just don't like Johnny Cash despite trying in the past and recognising he's a pretty cool guy. The Doors generally annoy me too, but that's one of their songs that I can put up with every now and again. Talk Talk was probably my favourite though, of the songs I hadn't heard before. Good stuff, thanks to all who sorted it out. Eno's track was great and I surprised myself by enjoying Hot Chip. Portico Quartet was very nice, whoever choose that.

This is all based on a fairly casual listen by the way, I'll give it another spin again sometime soon.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Eno is often great and I liked that track too. Also Talk Talk, Talking Heads, Luke Kelly, Neil Young, The Stones, Cash. All kind of classic stuff, really. Cave and Walker too, as I put them in.

A lot of the chill stuff I didn't really go for, doesn't do much for me.

The Sundays bored me half to death.

The rest was more or less forgettable.

Special mention for Alkaline Trio - horrendous, nondescript, 'punk' for kids, hated it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also, I'm not sure why Spotify says that Red Right Hand is explicit, when there's nothing remotely rude in it at all.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is it? I'm not sure what the euphemism is. It must be particularly euphemised.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well that's that song ruined. Thanks.
  • Impossible to ruin, it's God-tier.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You are of course right. But if I get an image of that fucker the next time I hear the song, on your head it will be.
  • Stuff I had written down, please excuse typos, there's a sheet of paper missing too so I'm missing some:

Raveonettes - Got a couple of Raveonettes albums, aside from their cover of My Boyfriend's Back (there's a re-recorded version of this on the Stubbs the Zombie soundtrack) I'd say this is now my favourite of theirs, good stuff. 

The Sundays - Lovely lungs.  Probably got enough similar stuff for me not to bother buying an album, but this is great.

Angie Stone - Best album to buy please? Seems legit.

Portico Quartet - Bonobo meets Flat Earth Society.  Quality.

Nick Cave - one of the all-time great songs, probably.  Always always so good.  Never heard this version so it was an extra treat.

James Carr - Goddamn beautiful stuff.

Death Grips - My God, tose vocals.  Do not want.  Six minutes of it too!

Wormwood - I might like this if I didn't hate the vocals.

Dirty Cop named Harry - Excellent, storytelling rap to rival uncle Ricky.
  • Rolling Stones - Something doesn't sound right about the Dropbox version, but this could quite easily just be me.  I don't remember such prominent piano. Not overly keen on thuis version as result, unless my mind is playing tricks, but I always liked it on Goats Head.

Talk Talk - Well loved but I've never been a fan.  This is fine, doesn't do it for me though.

Talking Heads - See above.

Skream Feat. La Roux - Quite good but I'll stick to older artists ahead of this.

Rob Dougan - Can't place what I like about his, certainly not when I'm actually listening to it, but this was enjoyable.  Not an automaton delivery.

Wire - Listen to them now and then but they've never fully grabbed me.  I can't knock it but I'm not mad keen.
  • The Verve - Never liked nor disliked them.  This is OK.

John Baker - Brilliant, if this was my mix I'd put this last.

David Hause - I think I'd tire of an album of similar tracks, but as a standalone on a playlist this is fine.

Final Countdown - Imoortalised a thousand times over by Arrested Development.  Kill me if I ever stop smiling.

Sleep - Was never a standout for me, although that's not to say I don't like it as NIA is my favourite of theirs.  I prefer Shallow Days, which is similar.  This is good though, I always tend to buy Gift of the Gab's solo/side project stuff but it's chasing the dragon tbh; at the very top of his game he can mix it with the best ever, but wading through mediocrity is testing my resolve.  About time Emoni dropped, it's getting silly now.

Prefab Sprout - See Talk Talk and Talking Heads critique.  Particularly not keen on this one though.

Smashing Pumpkins - Love them at their best but I don' think this would make my defeats-the-point single disk Mellon Collie album.

Jilted John - loved this more than anything else I hadn't heard on the playlist and ordered the album.
  • Did you ever listen to the latter day Talk Talk stuff? Far different to their synthy alt pop. Basically the initial ebb of post rock.
  • I can't take the Rolling Stones song anymore. 'Angie' is not a good name for someone with a whiney voice to sing over and over. Funkadelic has also gone - just too long. Same with The Doors. 

Best for me (other than my own choices) is probably Curtis Mayfield, Johnny Cash, Angie Stone, James Carr, Scott Walker, Portico Quartet and Rob Dougan. The Nick Cave one is quite fun too. 

Worst is Death Grips, Wire, Wormwood and Ophidian. Everything else is between bearable and decent.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Sleep - Was never a standout for me, although that's not to say I don't like it as NIA is my favourite of theirs.  I prefer Shallow Days, which is similar.
    You're right, it's not one of the standout tracks, but it fits the theme well. TBH I didn't think I was really going to get into this and suggested the first two tracks that came to mind.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I think Muggins may be afk so is it time to start thinking about the next one and if so, who wants the honour?
  • Missed out the Ophidian musings from my piece of paper.  I was pretty sure they'd done something with Venetian Snares but I can't seem to find a link online.  Quite liked it though, but I can't work out where I recognise the name.  Have they been picked on one of these before?
    Tempy wrote:
    Did you ever listen to the latter day Talk Talk stuff? Far different to their synthy alt pop. Basically the initial ebb of post rock.

A quick look on the external hard drive, cross referenced with Allmusic.com, suggests that the last two are the only two I own.  I'm not well up on the genres but Jesus and Mary Chain are often cited as a big influence post rock so I'm team J&MC.
  • I only bothered with late period Talk Talk, ignoring their perky synth-pop stage, apart from the hits.

I liked the track on this a lot though.
  • Life's Whst You Make It is a brilliant song too
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Spirit of Eden is amazing from start to finish.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Next one should be the opposite of this, I propose club bangers
  • I hope I actually get chance to listen to this playlist this week. I usually slap on the ipod at work and zone out but it has been mad crazy lately.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

I prefer stuff that stretches the imagination a tad more. All of one genre is a massive switch-off IMO.
  • I enjoyed the length, but as a few people have mentioned they found it a bit windy perhaps we should drop back down to one selection each Going Forward.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Olimite wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

I prefer stuff that stretches the imagination a tad more. All of one genre is a massive switch-off IMO.

Ah but which KIND of club oli

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!