Immigration thread.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The UK refuses to afford immigration.

We're even cutting back on qualified British Sign Language staff for lesser trained- whilst this seems OT it isn't similar cuts were made to interpreters during the last parliament. All these things further alienate people who rely on such services when liaising with the state, judiciary, and even the electorate. Cases get thrown out of court, employment can't be sought, people get stuck, benefits are claimed or aren't in some cases.

I don't get what the end game is, I refuse to believe it's (net migration reductions, EU ref.) nothing more than politicians appeasing the fears of those who feel threatened by immigration and getting their vote in the long run- or is it? Plus it means the tories can make very complicated issues as simple as the "people have spoken" and ignore them when they see the chasm they've helped create in society.

tl;dr: don't bother, it's not verbose enough.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Weren't they going to start ;ushing for everyone to learn english? Is having shitty translators part of that strategy?

I wouldn't be opposed to providing translators and english lessons for a couple of years then cutting them off.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    You still need to maintain a baseline of translators, but yeah I kind of agree. I'm in favour of non-EU nationals having to achieve a proficiency in English before becoming "citizens" so to speak- essentially what happens in Holland IIRC. But the waters are less clear when it comes to refuges and asylum.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Also issues with v. rare languages, and the remuneration of translators, who simply refuse to do the job needed as it's not reflective/equal pay.

I think half of BSL qualified signers are looking at quitting, essentially what happened in translation services.
  • Let them all in everywhere, life's too short.
  • An interesting topic, one I'm usually a bit hesitant to wade into in person, as it can create some heated debates. Personally, I reckon it's good for the 'hood. I live in a diverse area and while there are problems, these aren't exclusive to any particular group, more to do with squeezing a lot of people in a fairly small section of the city, one that was rundown and is still recovering.

There are obvious upsides - shops that had been empty for many years (in some cases over a decade) now have various different supermarkets, cafes and restaurants in them, making the area more enjoyable and desirable to live in and my stomach happy. It's the friendliest place I've lived, too and has a good vibe, most of the time. Most trouble seems to come from pissed up or drugged up locals. More than twenty languages are spoken at the local school, substantially up from the two that were spoken at mine. Well one really, as you'd have to have been brave to try and speak another.

I suspect that in general the areas that are anti-immigration haven't experienced much of it. They've been fucked by successive governments, who now shamefully blame immigrants for the issues they created. I don't think areas with poor employment prospects act as a magnet for people coming to this country.

All in my opinion, naturally.
  • From an education POV, spikes in immigration are an absolute nightmare. Educational funding (secondary for me) has been obliterated over the last 5 years and the staff, knowledge, expertise and funding aren't there to adequately support new (relatively) non-speaking migrants into the education system. Ordinarily students join the school, have 1-2 weeks of EAL support and then are flung into the classroom. The expectation is on the class teacher to deliver a lesson that will cater for their needs as well as the other 25-28 individuals in the class. 

In some classes you may be differentiating for 10+ different nationalities/languages. As well as this you need to differentiate to the academic abilities of all 25-28. At our place, all translation websites are blocked (for staff as well) as students were using them to bypass security settings and get onto Youtube etc. Meaning that staff have to produce additional resources at home/elsewhere. Whenever I get a new migrant student I worry about whether the content I'm delivering to these children is good enough. My ordinary focus is on content delivery and analytical skills; yet I concern myself with how I'm developing the student's literacy skills and whether I'm making the lesson accessible enough. You often get to the end of the lesson dejected, feeling you've utterly failed to facilitate the migrant child's understanding. 

I can fully understand the likes of UKIP latching onto the issue and making it a poisonous one.  But, "Your kid suffers whilst the teacher has to explain basic concepts to the newly arrived child" neglects to understand how compliant newly arrived students are, how they have a thirst for success and a drive to improve their understanding and literacy. EAL kids invariably outperform their target grades and have considerable success at GCSE. The first year is an exercise in frustration but then you tend to see a vast improvement. 

As such, ensuring migrants can speak English prior to moving here would make a world of difference to their progression and introduction to the education system. But, it shouldn't be a prerequisite. It wouldn't even be a bone of contention if education budgets hadn't been slashed as much as they have.
  • Can anyone tell me an argument for restricting immigration? Be brave, I won't judge.
    If all the people in the countries we've bombed come over here, they'll be no-one left to bomb. This would be disastrous for the UK arms industry.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We can always find new countries to bomb. And, if not, we can sell precision munitions to the wealthy to bomb the poor here.
  • "Bomb the Poor"? A natural endgame to the War on Poverty!
    *phew* Crisis averted!
  • Fucking hell.

Best of luck to the poor bastards. When I happen to watch those shite 'border control' TV programmes these days I'm pretty much rooting for the immigrant(s) by default.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Oh this is actually relevant now.

1430565005803_zpskandxats.jpg
  • Can anyone tell me an argument for restricting immigration? Be brave, I won't judge.
    At the risk of making myself more unpopular, I'd be putting heavy restrictions on anyone with previous convictions, particularly those of violence and dishonesty. (I'd also simplify and speed up the deportation process when an immigrant is convicted, but that's not a restriction.)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've always said that there should be restrictions on the immigration of people with criminal convictions, especially people guilty of violent or sexually motivated crimes.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Don't forget dishonesty!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I assumed that was referring to serious fraud, if so I'd be inclined to agree.
  • Crimes of dishonesty are basically all forms of theft and aquisitive crime.
  • I'd steal if I was desperate. Violence is another matter. But even then we're judging a past in a country that probably has major corruption issues, amongst other things. Fresh start and all that.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It would have to depend on the severity for me, and the length of time since offending.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'd steal if I was desperate. Violence is another matter. But even then we're udging a past in a country that probably has major corruption issues, amongst other things. Fresh start and all that.

Clearly the validity of the criminal justice system of the country of origin would have to be assessed, but I don't think we are talking asylum seekers fleeing persecution here, more financial immigrants.
  • Most immigrants that come here come for a better life. If that includes financial ones that's fine by me.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I agree in principle, but if they have a history of serious criminal behaviour why should we take the risk?
  • Those sort of considerations are already in place. There's a scheme where countries are notified that one of their nationals has been charged with an offence here. Certain countries (like China) aren't notified, given that the risk to the individual is too great.

I'd certainly grade it. I wouldn't immediately deport somebody for stealing food.
  • Most immigrants that come here come for a better life. If that includes financial ones that's fine by me.
    That implies that some are coming here hoping for a worse life.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • You know what I mean. Bit pissed.
  • It could be a problem trying to judge.

"It says here you're violent and incite disturbance."
    "Yes, I was persecuted by the government. They arrested me after I protested that they had been beating me."
    "Are you sure? That doesn't sound like something General Uzuma would do. He always seems so happy."
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Exactly. And we do actually have laws over here, despite what the locals think.
  • The main problem with the immigration debate is it's mainly based on fear, and that's not an emotion I like hanging around. Bloody evolution shite.
  • I'm in favour of immigration in the main, but non-English speaking children being placed in secondary schools are a huge issue. Largely down to the huge education cuts that have been endured in schools over the last 5 years and the lack of time, resources or personnel to adequately help these children in the short term. This can then lead them to (understandably) lack focus, misbehave and make poor progress.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!