Nintendo Switch
  • Doesn't count, Bob. Switch isn't a console.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Swirl didn't specify between a Home Console or a Handheld Console, still counts.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Obstruction of justice
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Yeah, I just said Nintendo machine.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • So I got the hori dpad joy con. For anyone looking to play 2d fighters in portable mode it's a must. Not the best dpad granted but street fighter collection is now viable on portable. Zangief is playable. Also makes an improvement for just about any dpad controlled retro game so good for the snk stuff. Quality seems fine too.

Just baffles me why it isn't the normal left con to be honest. While I can't actually use it as a joycon for multiplayer, the dpad is raised at the points where the buttons would be and holding it horizontly feels fine. I don't think it would have compromised the multiplayer aspect of the joycon at all and it would make a better portable console.

Even if it wasn't to be the default joy con, a Nintendo version with blue tooth and mini l/r buttons would be a good option. It's a shame it's portable only.
    SFV - reddave360
  • And switch clearly is a console.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    So I got the hori dpad joy con. For anyone looking to play 2d fighters in portable mode it's a must. Not the best dpad granted but street fighter collection is now viable on portable. Zangief is playable. Also makes an improvement for just about any dpad controlled retro game so good for the snk stuff. Quality seems fine too.

Just baffles me why it isn't the normal left con to be honest. While I can't actually use it as a joycon for multiplayer, the dpad is raised at the points where the buttons would be and holding it horizontly feels fine. I don't think it would have compromised the multiplayer aspect of the joycon at all and it would make a better portable console.

Even if it wasn't to be the default joy con, a Nintendo version with blue tooth and mini l/r buttons would be a good option. It's a shame it's portable only.

Presumably you can’t have a d-pad as the left joy-con as it prevents developers from using A+Y or B+X (or however they’re labelled on Nintendo consoles) inputs.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    So I got the hori dpad joy con. For anyone looking to play 2d fighters in portable mode it's a must. Not the best dpad grantued but street fighter collection is now viable on portable. Zangief is playable. Also makes an improvement for just about any dpad controlled retro game so good for the snk stuff. Quality seems fine too.

Good to know, cheers. I'll pick one up once they release a standard grey version.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Would be a bit awkward having a d-pad instead of face buttons when playing multiplayer at the rooftop party.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Did anyone get Mega Man 11?

There's a demo out, seems good to me and the reviews are positive.

Might add it to the watch list and wait for a sale.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's one of the games I'm hoping for in the huge Christmas sale I'm hoping for.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    So I got the hori dpad joy con. For anyone looking to play 2d fighters in portable mode it's a must. N2ot the best dpad granted but street fighter collection is now viable on portable. Zangief is playable. Also makes an improvement for just about any dpad controlled retro game so good for the snk stuff. Quality seems fine too.

Presumably you can’t have a d-pad as the left joy-con as it prevents developers from using A+Y or B+X (or however they’re labelled on Nintendo consoles) inputs.

The buttons can still be read as before, it's basically a dpad covering the button spots. Multiplayer wouldn't be affected. It's purely a physical change.

And what rooftop party isn't improved by a squabble over who gets the dpad con and who gets the buttons?

SFV - reddave360
  • Did anyone get Mega Man 11? There's a demo out, seems good to me and the reviews are positive. Might add it to the watch list and wait for a sale.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's one of the games I'm hoping for in the huge Christmas sale I'm hoping for.
    Yeah, same. I've heard good things but won't be paying more than regular indie prices for it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    The buttons can still be read as before, it's basically a dpad covering the button spots. Multiplayer wouldn't be affected. It's purely a physical change.

But it’s a physical change that stops you from using certain button combinations. You can’t press up and down or left and right at the same time on a d pad.
  • Re: Mega Man

There is actually a pretty great Anniversary Bundle, on PSN at least, with both original series collections, both X collections and 11 for £45.

Considering the separate prices that's pretty good.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Did anyone get Mega Man 11?

I thought about it, but the demo made me its bitch, so I wussed out.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yossarian wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:

But it’s a physical change that stops you from using certain button combinations. You can’t press up and down or left and right at the same time on a d pad.

I suppose but I can't think of a game that needs that. I certainly couldn't do that with the normal joycon without hitting the other buttons unless I use 2 fingers and I reckon that would work with the dpad
    SFV - reddave360
  • No, that can't work with a d-pad; you'd press at least three directions, probably all four.

I can't recall ever using opposite buttons in combination, though.
  • Also the iconography in the software. They already legislate for the letters swapping around (E.g. b goes from cancel to accept in from two joycon to one joycon) so having consistent button prompts probably needs a consistent button layout.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I seem to recall Arkham Knight requiring opposite buttons for a couple of the combat moves. Pressing 3 buttons at once in SF could prove tricky too, though not necessarily impossible.
  • AJ wrote:
    I can't recall ever using opposite buttons in combination, though.

Tekken.
  • Arkham bat man games and temken definitely. But neither is on the system . And I can't think of any game on the system that requires it. Hitting 3 buttons for street fighter is just down right or up left.

But even so I just think it's the lesser option. Its sacrifices 1 player for 2 players and i think most switches are going to be played in solo mode for the bulk of the time. To be fair it's not like a dpad is vital for most games either but I think I would prefer a dpad as the default. Certainly no excuse not to release one for those who want it with Bluetooth so you can use it in docked mode. Bob will even do some nice decals if ninety give him some tipex.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Considering all the indie support on the Switch a d-pad seems pretty vital for portable mode. Don't think I'd fancy Celeste or Dead Cells without one.
  • Celeste was okay with the default joycon, but you really had to commit to the diagonals at times. I think it was AJ who described it as easily the best handheld analogue but below the standard of other home consoles (paraphrasing). I've got my 8bitdo for dpad stuff, will probably grab a dpad joycon if they ever release a rumbly one.
  • It's not much cop though. Nicalis sale, apparently. Tiny Barbarian for me. Ikaruga under a tenner. The End is Nigh might be cheap, but I can't see how cheap as I own it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's ikaruga time lads
  • Hell yeah!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Dead Cells?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No IKARUGS

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!