isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    As someone who has 4 nephews I would hope they sort out some kind of digital replacement for physical media that works in exactly the same way across multiple accounts and systems as present. 

Given it's Nintendo I have next to no faith that they will be the ones to manage this. Until someone does then digital media is not a comparable solution in a good deal of cases.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • WorKid wrote:
    Fuck retail. Adds nothing.

Someone should be brave and cut them out entirely.

(Sorry DD)

It adds the gifting market. Which is still huge.

Did you know that the single most popular Happy Meal toys are Super Mario? Which means despite the view that kids don't care about the plumber, they clearly still do like Mario.

I would say that after Minecraft as well, Mario would be the merch I see kids wearing the most, above even all of Marvel combined.

Zelda appears to have become an adult franchise though, I'll grant that.
  • Depends what the other Happy Meal toys are. Mario or fever dream cartoon cat with syringes for eyes? Please Mummy, let me have the plumber.
  • Minecraft is a great example of a rather successful download game.
  • Fuck retail. Adds nothing. Someone should be brave and cut them out entirely. (Sorry DD)
    It adds the gifting market. Which is still huge. Did you know that the single most popular Happy Meal toys are Super Mario? Which means despite the view that kids don't care about the plumber, they clearly still do like Mario. I would say that after Minecraft as well, Mario would be the merch I see kids wearing the most, above even all of Marvel combined. Zelda appears to have become an adult franchise though, I'll grant that.

You can gift stuff fine on dl only platforms like iOS and android. Not quite the same as in the old days but gifting will still be possible.

I suspect the nostalgic among us may prefer the unwrapping of a gift and the smell of fresh cardboard over a blinking icon in your inbox alerting you you've received a gift.
    N64 kid would agree with you.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    The convenience of lending a copy of Zelda to my nephews is my personal problem with dl only future. The MS idea sounded ok and I'm sure there's a way to enable it but history suggests Ninty aren't the ones to go back and make that system work.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • You could say the exact same things about music and film but look where those markets have gone. It's inevitable that in 5-10 years games retail will be all but dead.
  • The difference there is you can generally download music and burn it to disc if you want to share it or move it...plus music and film can be streamed...games tend to still take hours to download and install, not really convenient if you're just popping round for a game...

But still though, you're probably right.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Download only future is a grim place for games I think. I only accept it on steam because the chance of that disallowing me access to something I bought a few years ago is slim.
  • Games dev is getting silly expensive and imo retail adds nothing of value - in fact it's just an irritant - so it's inevitable it'll be cut out.

Whether that's Nintendo sending out discs in the post or, ideally, sensible download pricing, I don't know.

The days when big publishers needed retailers are coming to an end if they haven't actually already.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The risk of libraries becoming unsupported as servers get turned off is a worry. Are there platforms that already applies for? PSP? Wii?
  • Dreamcast?

For me games, films and books are generally one-shot things. I rarely go back and play older stuff, I have no worries if a few years after the end of a gen the games stop working. I'll probably be playing the sequels.

I appreciate not everyone will be in the same place.
  • Surely retail can just be ignored if you're not interested in it. How is it irritating?

The existence of retail and 2nd in particular is keeping the price of your download games at a sensible (less unsensible?) price for the time being too.

I like retail. Although I hate shopping you get more cheap games than you seem to on DL. And seeing all the games in front of you is much better than relying on the presentation vagaries of digital stores. I don't always know what game I'm going to get and impulse buying and stuff is much easier in a shop. Otherwise you're relying on some curated themed collection, new releases, what's hot and other shit. I agree it's on the way out but think we'll lose something of value when it does go.
  • It's just annoying going to the shops.

On day of release I can be playing at one minute past midnight (download) or waiting for the postie or having to leave the house and mix with the public (!).

Also stupid bloody exclusive content pisses me off.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Games dev is getting silly expensive and imo retail adds nothing of value - in fact it's just an irritant - so it's inevitable it'll be cut out. Whether that's Nintendo sending out discs in the post or, ideally, sensible download pricing, I don't know. The days when big publishers needed retailers are coming to an end if they haven't actually already.

It adds visual advertisment in shops.

I think even if stuff is dl only there'll be displays for dl codes.

Anyway that's if DL stays a thing. Spotify and Netflix are showing that even dl in product is somewhat unecessary.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    The risk of libraries becoming unsupported as servers get turned off is a worry. Are there platforms that already applies for? PSP? Wii?

wifi on wii is toast. I think if they switched the servers for splatoon mk 1 off that game is basically useless.
  • That's just about online games though rather than delivery systems.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Download only future is a grim place for games I think. I only accept it on steam because the chance of that disallowing me access to something I bought a few years ago is slim.

Yep. Besides, how could reg put his complete download collection on a shelf? His missus would probably be doing cartwheels, mind.

The beauty of Steam is I'll always have my collection. I'll never lose it, give it away whilst drunk. It'll be there not getting played til the day I die

• DL only is inevitable, but Nintendo in their current state don't seem like the company to lead the way. Why risk pissing off the people who sell lots of their consoles and excluding people with shit internet. A blu ray drive lets them reach a much wider audience for a pretty negligible cost.

I think we need to see MS or Sony try a download only version of their current hardware and have it succeed first. Not faffing about with discs is nice, but remember that hinting at removing physical ownership was one of the things that burned MS this gen.
  • It is inevitable, but I hope it's a long way away.
  • I think IR is right and we'll probably see a DL only version of one or both of the bone and Ps4 towards the tail end of the gen as a water tester for their next boxes.
  • I don't even want Nintendo to go download only - choice is always better - but it'd be good to treat their download customers at least on a par.

To be fair though their pricing has got a lot better, with flash sales and also money off if you bought the demo etc.

Games really shouldn't stay at £49.99 though.

Is the Sony d/l pricing still nuts?
  • I would buy a machine with no optical drive if it was say £50 cheaper than the with drive option. They should do that. Win/win.
    I have a smaller, cheaper, quieter machine.
    I'm also tied in to their pricing and they cut out the middle man.
  • http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/17/amd-could-be-making-the-processer-for-nintendos-nx-console/

And that's the x86 and Arm architecture both confirmed more or less....
  • And. .. is that good or bad or just news?
  • It makes the scenario I posted earlier a lot more likely ;)
  • Dumping powerpc signals the lessening of the chance of bc
  • The article mentions 3 designs:
    One x86, one ARM and an unspecified 3rd design.
    My guess is the last one is the gpu for the NX.
    The first design is the cpu and the second is the soc for the controller, most likely a 3ds like device/successor.
  • Dumping powerpc signals the lessening of the chance of bc

That's where that OS framework thingy comes in.
    Not sure if Ninty has the skills to fork an open source OS tho'...
  • hunk wrote:
    Not sure if Ninty has the skills to fork an open source OS tho'...

Is this where DeNA could help out?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!