Nintendo Switch
  • It would serve me if it was a few nails in the their console coffin. I love a couple of Nintendo games every year but I don't like having to buy a whole console just for that. Iwata said they'd stop making games when they stopped making hardware but I don't think he has much sway in the company anymore.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I stopped caring about their games long ago, but their hardware from the NES to GameCube was quality. The SNES and N64 in particular were fantastic.

I'd really like an 8", 1080p version of their GamePad (like this), with the same power as a PS4 (an Iris Pro 6200 should do) and an HDMI dongle for TVs. But it's too late for that; their support's gone.
  • If you're on about dev support, they'll go where the numbers are. If they make another "additional console" though they won't get support. There weren't enough games for me on the Wii or WiiU. Devs tried but nobody wanted anything other than minigame compendiums, exercise games and the Nintendo core franchises. Even if GTA came out on Wii it wouldn't have sold many cos everyone that wanted that stuff already had a PC/PS3/360.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The problem for Nintendo is that the PC has the best versions of multiplats, and Apple have nobbled their other gaming arm. They need graphical parity with the Bone, preferably with added portability. But they've been so shitty with third-parties in the past, you can't blame any of them for not coming back. Nintendo are screwed.

JXD show a much deeper understanding of the market from a design point of view. The Vita looks like a handheld from the Nokia era of mobiles (which the PSP was), while the GamePad has an egregiously undersized screen and tons of tacky plastic.

Apart from the speakers, which should be hidden behind grills on the rear, this is how it's done. Two low-profile, semi-built-in triggers on the rear (analogue Zs with a bit more travel).
  • This is red ocean thinking though. Dr Kawashima & Wii Fit came out of looking for blue water and making products for that. Problem is it doesn't take long for the rest of the market to follow you. I don't know if they can pull another Wii/DS out of the bag every 5 years and I don't know if they can survive as a gaming company if they don't.

If you take out the Wii & DS, Nintendo have lost 10/20 million sales from every console/handheld generation so far.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That market disappeared into its own lagoon, dragging Move and Kinect down with it.

The Wii was a variant console, not a blue-ocean-goer. People still played games on their tellies, using handheld lightguns instead of pads. The iPhone joined existing old tech to create a new consumer thing: touchscreen mobiles.
  • Nintendo just reported profits from Q1 results, traditionally the worst of the 4 quarters. As a company Nintendo are fine, maybe their new president will take them 3rd party, maybe a return to HW parity or more than likely their current aim of unique HW looking for blue oceans.

As bleak as Nintendos situation looks at times the 3DS is an actual thing. If we were talking handhelds then isn't Sony the one in dire straits?

Squareenix seem to think so with the current DQXI announcement. They could have made it a game for one company in which you can carry on when on the go, instead they're releasing it on the two successful consoles out of the pool of four, smart move.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nintendo just reported profits from Q1 results, traditionally the worst of the 4 quarters.
    Yeah but that's mostly down to Reg.
  • JonB wrote:
    Nintendo just reported profits from Q1 results, traditionally the worst of the 4 quarters.
    Yeah but that's mostly down to Reg.

Joking aside its interesting. amiibos are big business, I'd be interested to see their results without them. Maybe toys should be a core aspect of their business, sure video games are toys but I mean in the traditional sense.

With a theme park deal with Universal in the pipe line it shows they're willing to branch out now, more than likely out of necessity but its something they should have done years ago regardless. Imagine that theme park at the peak of NES when Mario 3 came out, nothing wrong with increasing brand awareness via other ventures.

Saying that, they should bring back cartoons.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I find the statement that there weren't enough Wii games to be an odd one.

Heck I'd argue even the WiiU probably has a better lineup of games right now than Bone or possibly even PS4.

The Wii catalogue is all sorts of quality and not lacking in volume either.

• Joking aside its interesting. amiibos are big business, I'd be interested to see their results without them. Maybe toys should be a core aspect of their business, sure video games are toys but I mean in the traditional sense.

Woah, woah, woah. Woah.

That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • WorKid wrote:
    I find the statement that there weren't enough Wii games to be an odd one. Heck unarguably the WiiU has a better lineup of games right now than Bone and PS4 put together.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Things which make nintendo lots of money:

1) 3DS 
    2) Amiibo
    3) Reg
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • They're pimping out Reg???!!! Whoa.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • New Ninty strategy: Reg Amiibos.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    I find the statement that there weren't enough Wii games to be an odd one. Heck unarguably the WiiU has a better lineup of games right now than Bone and PS4 put together.

This is true, but there are two problems:

1. A lot of Wii U greats are actually out of print. 

2. New shiny shoot bangs with emotionals don't come out every week so therefore NO GAEMS
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • There are some high tier games on the Wii U (although I only really care about Bayonetta 2), and probably more than the other consoles right now, but there's basically nothing else, or that range of good but not great games that fills in the months between each release. Also it's a year ahead of PS4 and XBone, which have had a slow start, but they will soon catch up and pass Wii U in terms of top grade games.
  • There's a massive load of indie stuff released directly via eShop which exactly fills that gap.
  • Which no one without the console sees.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ahh great back in time for the old Nintendo multiplat chat. Phew.
    Where's those Q4 results eh chaps
  • Whatever the NX is, I vow here and now that I shan't buy mario 64 on it.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That right aye
  • Despite the lack of games on Wii U, i've been much happier with it compared to the Wii. There would have been a time where lack of releases would have been a big negative for me, but the reality is I don't get much time to play games these days. 

Its been a good pick up and play console that will probably last me until early 2017 with the amount I have to get through.
  • WorKid wrote:
    There's a massive load of indie stuff released directly via eShop which exactly fills that gap.
    Well, there's a shitload of re-released old games and a fraction of the indie stuff that appears on other consoles.

But I'm also talking about good quality full size games, of which there's a steady supply elsewhere.

Plus, even if you really like Nintendo style games, do you want to spend 90% of the time playing Nintendo style games? I look at my 360 games and there's so much more diversity than my Wii games, which has got to be a good thing.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Joking aside its interesting. amiibos are big business, I'd be interested to see their results without them. Maybe toys should be a core aspect of their business, sure video games are toys but I mean in the traditional sense.

Splatoon selling 1.6 million copies, in less than two months, undoubtedly helped their profit margin too.
    Things can only get better.
  • I'm not really looking for an argument btw, so sorry if it seems like that, just not really on board with this Wii U has the best line up thing. It might have the best top 10 or something right now (if you're not bored of a lot the main Nintendo franchises), and maybe that's enough for some people, but it doesn't entice me. PS4 and XBone have probably have been two of the worst big console launches for years as far as I can tell, but I'd still go for one of those over Wii U, and find a better variety of stuff to play even now.
  • Do you have a WiiU JonB?
  • JonB wrote:
    I'm not really looking for an argument btw, so sorry if it seems like that, just not really on board with this Wii U has the best line up thing. It might have the best top 10 or something right now (if you're not bored of a lot the main Nintendo franchises), and maybe that's enough for some people, but it doesn't entice me. PS4 and XBone have probably have been two of the worst big console launches for years as far as I can tell, but I'd still go for one of those over Wii U, and find a better variety of stuff to play even now.

Your right but Nintendo have been like this since N64.

N64's 10 best games are up there with any consoles but once you get past 20-30 games on that your left with shite. PSone has a much better library but I have fonder memories of N64, I think thats what people are getting at regard with Wii U's top tier games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Your argument, Jon, seems to be you want frequent releases of exclusive, not-quite-as-good stuff, via bits of plastic sold in shops.

Not sure what's wrong with digital releases for you.

I'm not knocking the PS4 line-up, it too appeals to me, but equally you could reverse all you arguments in favour of the Nintendo platforms.
  • JonB wrote:
    I'm not really looking for an argument btw, so sorry if it seems like that, just not really on board with this Wii U has the best line up thing. It might have the best top 10 or something right now (if you're not bored of a lot the main Nintendo franchises), and maybe that's enough for some people, but it doesn't entice me. PS4 and XBone have probably have been two of the worst big console launches for years as far as I can tell, but I'd still go for one of those over Wii U, and find a better variety of stuff to play even now.

Your right but Nintendo have been like this since N64.

N64's 10 best games are up there with any consoles but once you get past 20-30 games on that your left with shite. PSone has a much better library but I have fonder memories of N64, I think thats what people are getting at regard the Wii U's top tier games.

JonB wrote:
    even if you really like Nintendo style games, do you want to spend 90% of the time playing Nintendo style games? I look at my 360 games and there's so much more diversity than my Wii games, which has got to be a good thing.

Good point and why its been almost impossible for most to own a Nintendo console exclusively post SNES.

XB/PS have a much better of varity of games but luckily for Nintendo they're pretty much the best at what they do. PS3 and 360 had plaformers but nothing to rival SMG, on the flipside I wasn't playing The Conduit pretending Halo didn't exist.

PS/XB are the better choices if your only a single console per gen type of gamer, but if you get a second I think Nintendo are the best option.

Why have a PS3 and 360 only to have two copies of Marvel V Capcom 3 when your could get a Wii with Tatsinoku V Capcom etc. Plus all that exclusive first party goodness.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!