Nintendo Switch
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    The Playstation and Xbox brand are way too established as the consoles for twats 'mature  gamers' for nintendo to waste their time with.
    It was only a few generations ago when neither of those brands existed at all and Nintendo had a decade of dominance and almost a century in games.
    Dogfingers wrote:
    A pc and wii u are surely the best combo of consoles, other than Bloodborne what am i missing?
    This has been Nintendo's problem lately. They're a great second console but unable to sustain a frequent gamer on their own.

Number of games that have a metascore of 80+.

WiiU=54
    X1=55
    PS4=95
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    I find the statement that there weren't enough Wii games to be an odd one.
    It has significantly less games that scored 8/10 or above than PS360. Publishers that tried not to be cutesy got fucked in the sales figures. There's nothing odd about that statement.

The WiiU does currently have more great games than the alternatives, but it has almost nothing in between. There have been entire calender months with no new boxed games. If you really really like whatever Nintendo are releasing that month, then great, if you're in the mood for something else, you're fucked.

For reference, the Wii has 106 games with a metascore of 80+, the PS3 has 400, the 360 has 420.

Another thing worth mentioning is there is only 1 driving game in that Wii 106 and it's Mario Kart.

Your original statement was about absolutes, not relatives, so the number of PS3 games is irrelevant. I'd be interested in the number of barely-different sequels clogging up that list of 400 like.

Anyhow 100 good games seems like enough to me to justify a console purchase. You might play a lot more games than me, fair enough, or you might be incredibly discerning.

You might also like driving games or FPSs, again fair enough, Primes apart the Wii might not be the right machine for you.

And again, 54 games seems like enough to be getting on with. Pick say 20, spend 20 hours on each, there's 400 hours of entertainment.
  • The number of PS3 & 360 games is relevant to show what a normal number of "good" games is in an early 21st century console. If the Wii had 106 good games, and no other console had ever topped 20, then you'd be a fool to pass it up. If it's a bit more than a quarter of the competition, with some popular genres severely under-represented, then it's a problem.

100 good games is enough to justify a console purchase, but for someone that enjoys a few racing games, I fucking glad I didn't have to depend on the Wii as my only console.
  • WorKid wrote:
    I'd be interested in the number of barely-different sequels clogging up that list of 400 like.
    The number of good WiiU games includes Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 8 DLC pack 1 & Mario Kart 8 DLC pack 2, as separate games.

Wii has Metroid Collection & Metroid 3 as separate entries as well as EA Sports Active & EA Sports Active More Workouts, WiiFit & WiiFit+.

PS360 have all the CoDs, NHLs & FIFAs (about 10 a piece asssuming they're all "good") & other annual updates & Orange Box/Portal shenanigans.
  • Vela wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    When The Order drops to half a chalice, I'll pick it up just to prove to myself how right I've been about it.
    The threshold should be the same price as a matinee movie session.
    So a Chalice then.

Nah. A licensed coke cup from the matinee showing.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • NX will be a Nintendo branded Phablet size device, reskinned android OS, 720p rear and dual front cameras, multi touch screen, minimal buttons (maybe 3ds style slider, large A smaller B buttons and 2 shoulder bumpers) AR based games. Cart and downloadable. Expandable 32gb memory. The twist is it costs £110 per tablet but for £50 or a monthly sub you can buy an app that lets you use ANY phone or tablet as a 2nd controller. Mp social AR games on a cheap base console and any phone your child/mom or dad already owns as 2nd controller plus free demos and cheap games plusfull price downloads equals win.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Nintendo MP using a phone's touchscreen as controller?
    Fail.....
    Nice idea though, the WiiU standalone tablet maken sense.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Meh, seems I was right a year ago.
    I wonder how far they are on the software and service front.
    Good on Nintendo fusing the DS and homeconsole, it's a solid idea well worth exploring.
  • It almost guarantees success for it too you'd have thought?
    The Forum Herald™
  • So the Ds line is likely to be toast in favour of single screen handheld and dual screen console. Neeeeeeeeat.

Will be cool. No need for mk7 and 8 to exist if it means slower releases on the opposite system.
  • Bob wrote:
    It almost guarantees success for it too you'd have thought?

Possibly but they are automatically cutting their potential base I would say.
  • Could be one large success (ala wii) but imagine then not having ds at all at the same time.
  • Also depends if devs area allowed to release for the "mobile unit" only - otherwise, you've got DS/3DS games coming at the frequency of Wii/WiiU games :-(
  • I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Nintendo can solely support a single platform though.

I reckon it'll launch with a spectacular thing from retro and zelda nx.

Quite
    Fucking
    Excited.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    tumblr_ncthyyNlm01r9f37qo1_500.png
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    tumblr_inline_n6ymxsbIj31s9u1sy.png
  • Iwata holding the og 3ds. I love the look of that thing. Best one.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Im fuckin ready to go through the new nintendo console cycle again, from hype to crushing disappointment to somewhat cherished but also lolwut
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Also depends if devs area allowed to release for the "mobile unit" only - otherwise, you've got DS/3DS games coming at the frequency of Wii/WiiU games :-(

My great fear.

I was hoping for two distinct consoles with similar architecture.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    For now lets just get on the hype train CHOO CHOO ITS FRIDAY YALL
  • I reckon it'll launch with a spectacular thing from retro and zelda nx.

Hopefully a new Mario in the 64/Galaxy style too.

Get Sega on a new F-Zero and NST on another Waverace...

I'm gonna stop whilst I'm ahead here. I'll come back June next year.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hopefully a new Mario in the 64/Galaxy style. Get Sega on a new F-Zero and NST on another Waverace... I'm gonna stop whilst I'm ahead here. I'll come back June nest year. [/quote

No this is the time for exactly this 

ETERNAL DARKNESS 2
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    For now lets just get on the hype train CHOO CHOO ITS FRIDAY YALL

I am indeed excited.  I'm a sucker for new gaming hardware.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    POKEMON MMO
  • Apparently, the NX won't be underpowered either as they've made some good deals.
    Interesting......
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    SPLA2N IT WRITES ITSELF
  • Looks like splazn.

Also you need the Eyes.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Hopefully a new Mario in the 64/Galaxy style. Get Sega on a new F-Zero and NST on another Waverace... I'm gonna stop whilst I'm ahead here. I'll come back June nest year

I don't like the conflation between Sm64 and smg that happens reasonably often.

I'd love a new Galaxy but a retread of 64 can get bent.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!