Syph79 wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Let's have a Virua Racer stock.

Yea this!

I need to get Nintendo Online, really.

Are you on Amazon prime?

Mrs Prime is.

You get a free year via Twitch Prime

How do I do this and - actually whilst I’m here - what’s twitch prime? Honestly, I’ve hit my 40’s and I can’t keep up with the times. Music sounds the same yet worse as it did when i were a kid and all the youth are wearing clothes I can no longer imagine wearing. It’s all just happened overnight.
  • Specifically sliders and shell suit tops.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If I had a penny for every time I posted that link...
    Spoiler:
  • Brothers bought, at last. Fancied it for years but it always looked like a co-op game to me. And now it is.
  • No, that’s doing it wrong. Trust me on this. Maybe play it co-op later, but a major part of the lido-narrative harmony of that game is playing both characters yourself. Don’t fuck up that beautiful game. Please.
  • Yeah I remember reading about it in Edge I think, that playing the game solo works well/best.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I predominately bought it for co-op and Tilly is really looking forward to starting it tomorrow morning, so I think I'll have to appreciate the advice but respectfully ignore it. We've watched the trailer half a dozen times.
  • How old is Tilly again? Some of it really has the potential to be frightening and upsetting. I appreciate you’ll be right there, but just so you’re prepared. I’m sure it must be rated 12+ or something.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Also, it seems that the shop is so cluttered publishers are chancing their arm/accidentally releasing games twice. Astro Bears is due next month, for a measly £5.99. Or you could just buy it for the £4.49 It's been available for since 2017 (excluding the occasions it's been 89p).

I was just scrolling through the Coming Soon section of the eShop, and saw this. When I looked, I realised that the publisher had changed. Also, the original was called Astro Bears Party while this is just Astro Bears. What’s going on? I went digging.

The version that is about to be released is a re-release with marginally more content. The game was previously published by qubic, who regularly have sales on Switch (including sales just for people who already own at least one title from they’re catalogue). It seems that the developer of Astro Bears, SONKA, became unhappy with their deal with qubic, and have bought back the rights.

They could do with making the names of the different versions of Astro Bears a bit clearer, though.
  • Good digging.

She's almost five. We've discussed this before I think, last time I almost bought it. Judging the suitability of things is something I'm quite new to, I've undoubtedly not perfected the art. I often compare things to films I watched as a youngster, and it's tricky to discuss before going into the game (I assume one of the brothers dies, but I'm not looking for confirmation). It may well be a 12, I should check really, but a videogame 12 may not equate to a cinematic 12 in my head. I'd seen Return to Oz at her age, which was all kinds of fucked up, but I don't think she's ready for The Neverending Story. Probably a conversation for when I'm less pissed, will return anon.
  • It's a PEGI 16 actually, so there will be disappointment in the morning. One for me then.
  • It does seem weird to add co-op at all though, given how core to the experience it was for one player to control both characters at once. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
  • Looks like I've paid double for a non remastered game with unnecessary and unsuitable co-op then. Fail.

We're playing Pikuniku instead, which seems to have an enjoyable two player mode as a side offering.
  • Tetris 99 is good fun. I'm appalling at it but I never really played a great deal of Tetris so that's hardly unexpected.

MarioKart has gone up in my estimation. It's fun, albeit bullshit.
  • More JoyCon woes.  I've got two sets, having bought a second not too long after I picked up the console.  The right side of my second set now has this problem:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/social/questions/detail/qid/71705/~/sr-and-sl-on-left-joycon-are-not-working-and-no-lights

which means it only works docked, or as part of a single pad unocked.  So it can't be used on its own for mp as the it's a fault with the L/R and sync buttons.  

So that's two drifty left side analogues and now a slightly borked right one.  It's been sitting in its dock, which is now in the loft room, which becomes a sauna in the afternoon, so I guess it cooked itself in yesterday's heat.  FFS.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That sucks. I wonder if the v2 version will have crap like that ironed out. Are the full control pads better, in general?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Are the full control pads better, in general?

I assume so, but I can only really comment on the 8bitdo pads.  

I've not had to replace a pad for any other console, but I've now had four faulty JoyCons (including the drifting one they repaired or possibly replaced while it was under warranty).  It's fair for me to say that they're total pieces of shit considering how much they cost to repair or replace.  They can't handle being used much, for a start.  I use the console pretty much every day, and I'm deeply into the whole Switch for indies thing, but it's only seen the equivalent playtime of someone 100%ing The Witcher 3 four times.

Edit: and as I keep swapping the pads around anyway each one has probably only seen the equivalent of a single devoted Witcher campaign.
  • Yeah I would have thought like most handhelds they’re fine as long as you look after everything, but even through just regular use the sticks start to drift and make most games unplayable. Replacing them seems to be the only long term solution.

Makes me worried about a possible switch mini with the joycons built in, at least you can replace them without replacing everything right now.
  • JonB wrote:
    It does seem weird to add co-op at all though, given how core to the experience it was for one player to control both characters at once. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I appreciate the way it's been crafted for solo play, but as a fan of co-op games in general this definitely doesn't strike me as a game where having two people controlling the characters would represent a misstep. I'd almost certainly be enjoying it in two player mode.

A dream sequence has confirmed that this is indeed unsuitable for Tilly imo, so many thanks to Andy and whoever told me the exact same thing last time I was considering it (memory is hazy but I've definitely been advised not to play it with a young'un before).
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I appreciate the way it's been crafted for solo play, but as a fan of co-op games in general this definitely doesn't strike me as a game where having two people controlling the characters would represent a misstep.
    Mechanically, maybe. Narratively, it absolutely, definitely would be a misstep. This is a game where the interweaving of narrative and gameplay is, imho, straight out of the top-drawer. I can see the fun of co-op, but that would have to come after a solo play-through.

For me, it’s like unlocking control of Yorda after a first play-through. Sounds neat, but the reality is that it’s inferior to playing as it’s meant to be played.

A dream sequence has confirmed that this is indeed unsuitable for Tilly imo, so many thanks to Andy and whoever told me the exact same thing last time I was considering it (memory is hazy but I've definitely been advised not to play it with a young'un before).
    I think it was me the last time, too. Sorry to be the kill-joy. Have you got a PS2? Get Kuri Kuri Mix. It’s much more Tilly-friendly, and sharing a pad for co-op is quite the bonding experiencing.
  • She wasn't happy with the decision, but it's absolutely not something I'd want her to see parts of.
    Spoiler:
    In the most recent addition to an 'odd things kids get into' list, she's been enjoying the Spice Girls Viva Forever video recently.  Her mum and aunt went to the Wembley gig a few weeks ago...

responsible for SCENES like this:

...and they started watching old videos beforehand.  She latched onto Viva, and it's been on repeat of late.  It's a weird video, she seems quite into the whole brothers(?) fantasy sadness thing at the moment (explaining why I've gone off on such a massive tangent - she was absolutely primed for Brothers after having watched this absolute weirdness ten times in the past fortnight, plus the trailer for the game itself):

• Solution: play more monster boy. Such a lovely game even when it gets tricky it's usually a matter of slowing down.

Fine print: slow progress on my part. Who knew toddlers were so exhausting!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • It does get very tricky in places.  Have you got to the hot bit?  That was the main spike for me.
    Spoiler:
  • nah im still in the forest as a pig. told you it was slow going.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Cross post mega bonus:

£10 off standard or limited edition via Currys pc world (via voucher cloud). Details from hukd:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/now-codes-works-online-for-delivery-10-off-super-mario-maker-2-2999-or-super-mario-maker-2-ltd-edition-3999-at-currys-pc-world-3256168

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Awesome thanks for sharing - ORDERED! 

Won't be that cheap for a while I suspect.
  • Red Faction Guerrilla is out today. Couldn’t resist some smash-up-the-scenery action on the go for 25 quid. The pile o’ shame just got bigger.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • £25 !!! - that’s some fucking Switch tax
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!