Nintendo Switch
  • Let’s play a guessing game, how much are they gonna charge on the eshop for the Trilogy? I’m betting £29.99. But then again it is Nintendo so also expecting £49.99 chancing it

Cheers Retro.

Closer to £50 than £30 I'd imagine Wookie.  I'm gonna go £44.99.
  • If it’s a sub £30 I’m buying it there and then.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • £49.99 all day long.

I'd be selling my Wii copy to cover it if this rumour is true.

Hopefully a re-release would implement both IR and analog controls ala the recent Resi releases to keep both camps happy. Dual analog please though Nintendo!!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I have it on wii and wii u, think you had to use a wiimote to play them? Actual controller support (and handheld) makes them a must for me. Never completed any of them!

Edit: Oh, what retro said...
  • VIDEO GAME SALES WIKI
    Best selling Nintendo games

Best selling games and franchises developed or published by Nintendo.

Franchises
    Sales data from Best selling game franchises, unless otherwise noted. Sales data largely based on Nintendo's official sales data.

Super Mario (627.51 million)
    Pokémon (301.5 million)
    Wii Series (203.15 million)
    The Legend of Zelda (105.62 million)
    Donkey Kong (75.6 million)[8]
    Super Smash Bros (53 million)[9]
    Game & Watch (43.4 million)[10]
    Kirby (38 million)[9]
    Brain Age (34 million)[11]
    Animal Crossing (33.6 million)[12][13][14]
    Nintendogs (28.25 million)[15][16]
    Yoshi (24.87 million)[17]
    Wario (22 million)
    Metroid (17.44 million)
    Fire Emblem (12.4 million)*
    Splatoon (12.4 million)[18]
    Star Fox (12 million)
    Tomodachi (10.06 million)[19][20]
    Big Brain Academy (10 million)
    Luigi (10 million)
    F-Zero (5 million)
    Pikmin (5 million)
    Excite (5 million)
    Nintendo Land (5 million)
    Style Savvy (5 million)
    * This entry uses numbers from VGChartz, so may be questionable
  • Metroid been around longer, had more releases and sold more than StarFox. Personally for me Metroid is the more important IP than StarFox imho.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Neither as important as nintendogs tho
  • Top selling Metroid:
    Prime - 2.84M

Top selling Star Fox:
    64 - 4M
    SNES version also beat out Prime with 2.99M

Also there's been 16 Metroid releases and only 7 Star Fox games, 9 technically if you include Guard and 2 which were never sold separately.

So on an average:
    Metroid - 1.09M
    Star Fox - 1.71M

Having said all of that I'd say Metroid is a much bigger IP going forward, Star Fox along with the on-rails shooter genre has become niche at best.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Good work all. 

Tl,dr: Nothing to be sniffed at but not quite mixing it with the heaviest hitters.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Bought a Switch Lite yesterday with the Collection of Mana - mainly due to me probably not getting much free time to play games on PC with the recent arrival of our little man but also I've been meaning to reply Seiken Densetsu 2 for years now and I never played the third in the series so yay. 

Nice little bit of tech, and having not kept up to speed on Switch I was pleasantly surprised at how vast the library of games is now. 

I can feel a 90s RPG marathon coming on.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Also, I nearly got laughed out of the shop when I asked about Black Friday deals for Nintendo.
  • Speedhaak wrote:

I'm currently going through Final Fantasy VII on this. I think I'm nearly up to where I got to back in the day.

It's a great old skool JRPG but man...

The graphics on the characters are awful and upressing them has just made them stand out even more. Coming from someone who played VIII more than this in the 90s it's way worse than I remember.

I know it's not in line with the quick cash in model but I'd have loved them to have used the character models for the battle screens on the main areas and made them a bit darker and grittier to blend in a bit better with the pre-rendered backgrounds.

But even worse are the controls. I know this was a pre Dual Shock release on PS but they could have surely implemented some analog controls easily enough?

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the odd inconsistencies. In some buildings up moves you north east and down south west etc, but in others up is up and down is down. It's horrible.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah I imagine those rose-tinted glasses can be quite jarring when met with the reality of early 3d games being played in this day and age. I do want to try a few though, I will probably go for FFXII: Zodiac Age first though. 

Is IX on the Switch?
  • Let’s play a guessing game, how much are they gonna charge on the eshop for the Trilogy?

I’m betting £29.99.
    But then again it is Nintendo so also expecting £49.99 chancing it

£59.99
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Bought a Switch Lite yesterday with the Collection of Mana - mainly due to me probably not getting much free time to play games on PC with the recent arrival of our little man but also I've been meaning to reply Seiken Densetsu 2 for years now and I never played the third in the series so yay. 

Nice little bit of tech, and having not kept up to speed on Switch I was pleasantly surprised at how vast the library of games is now. 

Welcome aboard. Best console.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Let’s play a guessing game, how much are they gonna charge on the eshop for the Trilogy?

I’m betting £29.99.
    But then again it is Nintendo so also expecting £49.99 chancing it

£59.99

£45 but also they'll do a physical version with an awesome statue or some shit and old reg here will buy it for £75.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Yeah I imagine those rose-tinted glasses can be quite jarring when met with the reality of early 3d games being played in this day and age. I do want to try a few though, I will probably go for FFXII: Zodiac Age first though. 

Is IX on the Switch?

IX is indeed on switch. I have VII, VIII and IX all sat on the internal memory for me to never play
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I’ve been dipping in and out of IX. It’s decent enough, the cheats really help speed up the tedious bits.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I know it's not in line with the quick cash in model but I'd have loved them to have used the character models for the battle screens on the main areas and made them a bit darker and grittier to blend in a bit better with the pre-rendered backgrounds.
    Someone's doing or has done a modded version like that. From the screenshots I've seen it looks kind of weird. Like the world doesn't really fit around properly proportioned characters or something. Obviously the original models are horribly blocky, but the game suits them and the animation is clearly based around extra expressive movements to make up for the lack of facial features.
  • How much better looking are VIII and IX compared to VII?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • JonB wrote:
    Someone's doing or has done a modded version like that. From the screenshots I've seen it looks kind of weird. Like the world doesn't really fit around properly proportioned characters or something. Obviously the original models are horribly blocky, but the game suits them and the animation is clearly based around extra expressive movements to make up for the lack of facial features.

God bless modders, I'll have to have a look online to see what it's like.

Yeah I can imagine it looking out of place here and there but I think I'd like it tbh.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • How much better looking are VIII and IX compared to VII?

VIII's character models are much more proportional and the game does much more impressive things with regards mixing real-time models and CG. But...there's a lot of jaggies. Still, it a major step up.

IX is gorgeous, though. Even to this day, even though some of the background textures (pre-rendered) have suffered from the original assets being somewhat low-res.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    People have been using deep learning algorithms to upscale the backgrounds from the PS1 FF games with fantastic results.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How much better looking are VIII and IX compared to VII?

VIII's character models are much more proportional and the game does much more impressive things with regards mixing real-time models and CG. But...there's a lot of jaggies. Still, it a major step up.

bestlookingguyhere.jpg
  • Yeah but you should see the others.
  • They released Metroid prime trilogy on Wii U, I purchased it for 17.99 when they first released it (think it was a early bird discount before it went up to £30) but never got round to playing it. I suspect it will be more for the Switch mind.
  • I did the same. Really annoyed I didn’t play it as never did the second two. Will probably impulse buy this one and not play it on switch too.
  • US thanksgiving sale is now live for those that like to take an international approach to bargain hunting, list here:

https://happyholidays.nintendo.com/cyber-deals/
  • Never got past the first boss on Metroid prime ... still ranks better than getting stuck on the telescope on wind waker
    The Forum Herald™
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Yeah I imagine those rose-tinted glasses can be quite jarring when met with the reality of early 3d games being played in this day and age. I do want to try a few though, I will probably go for FFXII: Zodiac Age first though.  Is IX on the Switch?
    IX is indeed on switch. I have VII, VIII and IX all sat on the internal memory for me to never play

Nice one, shall try them out. Although I suspect they'll suffer the same fate on my SD card :P

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!