FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    He's got you there.

• Bob wrote:
    Nah I'm not into all these re-releases. I like new games.
    They’ve done well then to make up 51 new board and traditional games on the spot. Your sure darts isn’t a rerelease I’m sure I’ve heard of it ...

This proves my suspicion that all the other, erm, bob-ness is a massive made up troll.  

Touché.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Check, mate.

Every bob has his day. I had mine in 79
    When I got a starsky and hutch corgi replica ford toreno for my birthday
    The Forum Herald™
  • Must have hallucinated it
    The Forum Herald™
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I got the 51 games Clubhouse collection for fathers day, which was nice, but I'm not that keen on it really. Refusing to recognise my usb pad was a bad start, but it's the twitchest game on Switch for JoyCon drift and restrictions on same room mp numbers is unnecessarily miserly. The scalextric game is fun, and I definitely want to get hold of an irl Carrom board at some point. Could've done with a bit more development time imo, just to iron out a few kinks and make it a bit less of a mess in terms of gathering a family arund the TV to play.

As the owner of an irl Carrom board I can confirm that it’s fun, and takes up a lot less space than a pool table. But flicking those little discs really hurts your fingers after a while. (Also, Nintendo need to put more powder on their board - you should be able to get a good few more bounces off the walls...)

Agree that 51 games is a bit miserly with multiplayer, though I guess it’s largely down to the games chosen.
  • I feel like they only made a carom board because the physics model they used for pool was really high friction. Basically both are not good.

The game is I think a product of Nintendo’s seeming perpetual machine like system: decide on the minimum to get the game to work and derive the systems to do that quickly then develop for two years not deviating from that document.

It gives a polished product in a technical sense but it leaves them feeling kind of hollow or full of missed opportunities.
  • Disc Jam is £3.37 at the mo, down from £13.49. Played a bit of it on PS+, seemed like a pretty good Windjammers style multiplayer game. It's no Rocket League, but I'd be up for giving it a bash if anyone fancies a few matches at some point.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've been thinking about starting Mario Odyssey again from absolute scratch because I don't think I can remember a single damn moon location in that game.
  • Haha, a similar thought crossed my mind over the weekend. Decided to jump into wind waker on the wii u instead since it’s back up and running the the playroom. It still looks ace.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yeah guys I've totally been thinking the same thing
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Spooky. I toyed with this idea the other day, but was torn because I haven’t collected all the moons - so couldn’t make my mind up as to whether to start again or 100% it. Did neither in the end!
  • I devoured that game. It's a wonderful thing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I devoured that game. It's a wonderful thing.

So did I, and managed to get the 'Long Journeys End' moon, but I think I finished around 600 moons.

Would love to try again.
  • I wonder how it would feel a second time once the muscle memory kicks in.

One of the great joys of that game was that whole breath of the wild gimmick of trying a corner and finding a thing. But naturally there’s no trying here and infact bias might impede trying things for trying things sake.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think it's like starting breath of the wild again and going on a korok hunt but this time the koroks are fun
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A weird part of me thinks this game is gonna get an interesting appraisal in 5 years.
  • I'm still working my way through the Koroks. There's are some genuinely surprising ones hidden about. Some have mechanics I've not seen before after 300+ hours...
  • regmcfly wrote:
    A weird part of me thinks this game is gonna get an interesting appraisal in 5 years.

Do you think good or bad. My impressions are that people are starting to turn on it.

I don’t really care to go back but I thought it was great but that part of it was the feeling you get from opening a present - it’s an integral aspect that I don’t think can be gathered from a properly critical take.

Is the kind of criticism I imagine will happen in a few years a lot more but it’s pseudo scientific approach is kind of snark clever more than actual clever.
  • I used to vaguely enjoy JPH til that video, I thought he massively overestimated how smart his analysis was.
  • I don't agree with Mattymatosis or Joseph on a lot of stuff. They can be a little too pedantic but they have some good points.
  • Matt's leagues ahead of Joseph. A lot of his pedantry comes from approaching things on a systematic level, which I assume comes from his background in programming but he has shown time and time again that he understands texts on a more complex level than as sheer expressions of those systems. Vids on Demon's Souls and Sonic: Dreams backed that up.
  • Aye. He can't arf drone on though.
  • He'll be the first to admit his voice is quite monotone, he's joked about it in the past - there's a video out there he guest starred in where he does an "objective critique" of Jingle All The Way as a joke, it's great. His scripts have got a lot snappier, stuff like Mega Micro Vids are some of the most cogent and well thought out pieces of video essaying around games on the platform IMO.
  • Can't time stamp, but it's the 2 minute bit.

There's also another bit after the credits at 20:30.

On a Stream he confirmed that Owen wrote it, and he just made one or two tweaks, which is some good sportsmanship.
  • I found Mario Odyssey somewhat disappointing.  Maybe I'm just bored of Mario games.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Do you think good or bad. My impressions are that people are starting to turn on it.

I got the impression people went cold on it fairly quickly after an initial collective reaction of wow. It's been played for over 100hrs in the moot house and still gets played once a month or so. Would pay through the nose for dlc kingdoms. It's also absolutely the best all ages game Nintendo has ever made imo.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think the thing with Odyssey is not everything has be, like, the absolute best in the franchise to be really, really good. It might not end up being remembered quite a 64 or Galaxy but there's no shame in bring right behind them.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • The levels are quite un even, some are top drawer others not so much
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!