Nintendo Switch
  • Fuck. Do you know what? - Horace is actually a delight. I wrote it off too soon. It takes a good hour before you get any real gameplay I think that's the issue. The english nostalgia and humour is through the roof now though and story is genuinely good.
    I may try it again. I got sick of it after the first hour or so too. Although I had done a bit after the prologue and it wasn't much better.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    You bought it from me!

Ach, did I? I’m following the instructions on the leaflet and nothing. :(

Yeah Moot, I’ll try Googling or something, see if there’s a magic way to get this thing to work.

Similar experience here - I borrowed an 8bit pad from a friend to see if I liked it. Never ever worked. Couldn’t get it to pair no matter what I tried or Googled. Sent it back to my friend and it works perfectly in his. Like a Swan.
  • JonB wrote:
    Fuck. Do you know what? - Horace is actually a delight. I wrote it off too soon. It takes a good hour before you get any real gameplay I think that's the issue. The english nostalgia and humour is through the roof now though and story is genuinely good.
    I may try it again. I got sick of it after the first hour or so too. Although I had done a bit after the prologue and it wasn't much better.

I'd binned as soon as I first set eyes on that horrid, over zoomed pixel art style, but I had I some time to kill and I just whipped out the switch and Horace was still booted up. I ended up pootling through that long first hour and now I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The gameplay is not gonna blow the doors off or anything but it is clever and there's a few cracking jokes in there. Now I've come round on the look of it, but I'd prefer actual detail in the faces instead of that horrible blocky shit.

It's one of the oddest games I've ever played, also one of the most British. I mean there's a Ford Capri in there FFS. It's real nice.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    You bought it from me!
    Ach, did I? I’m following the instructions on the leaflet and nothing. :( Yeah Moot, I’ll try Googling or something, see if there’s a magic way to get this thing to work.
    Similar experience here - I borrowed an 8bit pad from a friend to see if I liked it. Never ever worked. Couldn’t get it to pair no matter what I tried or Googled. Sent it back to my friend and it works perfectly in his. Like a Swan.

I've found it a bit fiddly too but I get it to work OK. I think the manual requires you to hold down A and START to power it up before synching with the Switch? Can't remember now..
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Somebody in here very kindly offered to try and fix my kids switch a while ago but i can't remember who it was.

It is still sitting in a drawer wirh the broken display and i was thinking if the offer still stands i could send it and see what we can do.

Any takers?
  • Need a new co-op to play with a 6 year old. Narrowed it down to the New Super Mario Bros Wii U Deluxe thing.
    Or Paper Mario. Needs to fill a month until 3D World is out. Bonus points for being able to leave her to get on with it on her own for half an hour. I’ve got a feeling Paper Mario is going to be a pain in the arse but if it’s got open-world bits she can explore that might be better. I’ve never played the Paper ones. Are they RPGs with battle systems?
  • Paper Mario’s solid enough, if a bit boring. I’ve enjoyed playing it with the boy. It’s a bit slow going but nice and colourful and some decent humour in there.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I played both in co-op. Tilly was 5 for NSMBU which is a bit young for 2D Mario. She got through it thanks to the bubble rescues and playing as Nabbit but hasn't asked to play again. Paper Mario is a single player game but I preferred the it to NSMBU with two tbh. Your mileage may vary but Paper Mario was one of our best co-op experiences, the script is good and it's quite varied. Plus the toad hunting is teriffic. I didn't get on with the battles though.

As usual with full fat Switch titles I can lend to badgers on the fence with a purchase, I've got both carts.
  • Cheers. She's just decided she wants to try Captain Toad again. We've tried that before but think the camera rotation stuff was a bit too much for her at the time. She's got hundreds of hours of switch playtime under her belt since then though. 

Moot, might take you up on one of those borrows at some point though cheers.
  • If you haven’t played unravel 2 get that on your list.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    If you haven’t played unravel 2 get that on your list.

This was 75% off last time I checked the shop.
  • It's down to £6.24 which is right in the fuck it zone. 

Boughted.
  • I did the same. For the same reason. I grabbed heave Ho too.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I’ve splurged on three games for me that I won’t get to play. Cuphead (which just from the look of it I’ve decided to already award a 10). Horace, which I’ve seen mixed reviews of but once I’d seen the trailer I couldn’t not try it for myself (and it was 89p I think)). And Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, which can only disappoint after Dragons Trap but I’m ready for it.
  • Tilly and I made a list of all the co-op games we've played recently.  Highlights on Switch that haven't been mentioned were BoxBoy + BoxGirl, Wandersong (sp), What the Golf (sp), Luigi's Mansion 3, Hidden Folks (sp), Little Inferno (sp), Donut County (sp), The Stretchers, Huntdown (bad dad alert, but it does have a gore filter) and Cat Quest 2 (surprisingly solid, honest).  Untitled Goose Game has co-op no too but you have to have the patience of a saint.  Biped is worth a look but it needs non borked pads and is a bit advanced.  She also loved Adventure Pals and would be annoyed with me for not mentioning it but man that one drags if you're playing it to the end.  We got through Tropical Freeze too, but she noped out of half of the final world even with Funky Kong.
  • monkey wrote:
    I’ve splurged on three games for me that I won’t get to play. Cuphead (which just from the look of it I’ve decided to already award a 10). Horace, which I’ve seen mixed reviews of but once I’d seen the trailer I couldn’t not try it for myself (and it was 89p I think). And Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, which can only disappoint after Dragons Trap but I’m ready for it.

[9] [5] [9] for me.  I hope you like Monster Boy as much as I did, opinions are mixed on that too but I saw it as the ultimate sequel to Wonderboy III.  Fantastic game.
  • Cuphead definitely gets a 7 before I even played it based on visuals and audio alone, what an achievement. I really should play it (I own it). Gaming malaise atm.
  • Gone back to links awakening. I’m just over half way I think. Some great moments but some really obtuse parts (like finding the fish hook guy).
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Boolitt wrote:
    Somebody in here very kindly offered to try and fix my kids switch a while ago but i can't remember who it was. It is still sitting in a drawer wirh the broken display and i was thinking if the offer still stands i could send it and see what we can do. Any takers?

You could buy some tools (if you don't have them) and take it apart to reseat its cable:

Unfortunately, it's easiest to isolate your fault to the screen with a spare motherboard.
  • Hmmm mibbes, it looks like a bit of an operation. Its the lcd i think i need to replace. Might be an easier way
  • Cadence of Hyrule was a great little game, only played through once but really enjoyed it. I've played two and a half hours of the dlc and it's pretty awful so far, unfortunately. Unless I got unlucky by picking the most relentlessly tedious dungeon first it's a struggle to enjoy the puzzles. Will push on, but I'm regretting the purchase at the mo.
  • After another 70 mins I've progressed by a third of a dungeon. Compared to the main game it's ridiculously difficult.
  • I just did not get the love for that game I thought it was utter pap.
  • Ring fit is awesome. All of us playing it. Family fun and good outcome of getting fitter
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • The sale only seems to have 1 day left to go and there’s fucking at least three games I’d like typical!
    The Forum Herald™
  • I haven’t played my switch for a meaningful time in ages.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ooooohhh... Puyo Puyo Tetris is a damn fine game. Damn fine.  Some of the modes are hugely entertaining.  The Switch stick for hard drops is a bit of a fuckup though. Miss a dpad on those joycons. :(
  • Is there a decent switch joypad with a good dpad? I really wasn't blown away by the official switch joypad and the less said about the joy con's for 2d stuff the better. There's a lot more 3rd party joycons now with dpad's on the left but not sure if any are worth the money.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have the 8bitdo one which is pretty good. I just couldn't be arsed looking for it. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!