Nintendo Switch
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    There's an rpg golf game coming oud (like gba Mario golf)

I just completed that, fantastic game.  I'd swap my unplayed copy of BotW for Mario Golf Switch in a heartbeat.

Madman
  • Fisherman, even.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Has anyone played the Gunvolt game on the EShop?  Been waiting for the 3DS games to appear in a sale for ages, I've either missed it or it's not happening.  From the vid, this one looks like an 8-bit scaled back version, rather than the halfway between 16 and 32-bit look of the others.  Looks interesting anyway.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    It would totally shit on the likes of Apple Airplay and Google's dongle thingy.

How would it be better than either of those?

Because it works in a foolproof way. That's not true of Airplay or the Chrome thing.

To prove that, describe the process of getting each of the 3 systems to run an application on a TV, out of the box.

I've never taken a Switch or Google player out of a box so can't, but the Apple TV is a piece of piss. My mum has set one up and uses it regularly.
  • I wonder if we'll get any Mario Kart dlc now that it's on a successful console.  Touch wood.  It's an update of an old game, but it makes sense that they'd carry on with the packs now that the interest has been rekindled.  The base game is fit for purpose for the console's lifespan, imo, I'd have no problems with them building on that.  8 more tracks in November would be lovely.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    It would totally shit on the likes of Apple Airplay and Google's dongle thingy.

How would it be better than either of those?

Because it works in a foolproof way. That's not true of Airplay or the Chrome thing.

To prove that, describe the process of getting each of the 3 systems to run an application on a TV, out of the box.

I've never taken a Switch or Google player out of a box so can't, but the Apple TV is a piece of piss. My mum has set one up and uses it regularly.

I know Yoss... I can't be bothered with describing the process either...

Here...

Let this blog take care of it...
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/apple/how-connect-ipad-tv-wireless-3510597/
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That blog is describing several different methods for outputting an iPad signal to your TV, some of which are entirely unrelated to Apple TV. The instructions are basically this:

Spoiler:

It's also a set of instructions specifically for how to get the content of your iPad onto your TV. Step 2 could be replaced with:

Download an app from the App Store, click on it to start.

Edit: I've also just realised that even this is out of date. In the latest versions of iOS, the Airplay sharing sharing option is available in control centre, swipe up from the bottom of any screen.
  • Thumper has a chance of sneaking in my all-time top ten, it's everything I hoped it would be.
  • You may have covered this already, but I said ages ago they'd do something sensible with the free retro game for subscribers. Well they have. None of this "only for a month" guff. You can access them as long as you subscribe.

How voice chat will work needs to be clarified still. That could easily end up a clusterfuck.
  • You've seen the Splatoon voice chat disaster right?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Thumper has a chance of sneaking in my all-time top ten, it's everything I hoped it would be.

It's ace isn't it. Love how it teaches you it's own language and then let's you just get on with it.

• That's already been clarified afaik and it is indeed a clusterfuck.

Lucky for me I don't use them but I can imagine it being really annoying for those that do.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Tempy wrote:
    You've seen the Splatoon voice chat disaster right?

Thankfully no. But I had heard it was up to everyone to decide how they used chat, so it could be different for different games?

So it's a confirmed shambles, for Splatoon at least.
  • I used my phone and skype a lot for Monster Hunter a few years back, but more and more I move away from VC
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Thumper has a chance of sneaking in my all-time top ten, it's everything I hoped it would be.
    It's ace isn't it. Love how it teaches you it's own language and then let's you just get on with it.

It's reached the point where it's not really getting more difficult to progress (that's been quite tricky all the way through), but it's definitely getting harder to hit the good scores.  I'm getting Cs and Bs on almost everything now, but I'll be going back at some point.  Level 5's final boss was the first I dispatched on a single pass, was glorious.  It's the best rhythm runner I've played.  

This must be what everyone else thought about Rez, which merged two genres I liked and created a stylish rhythmic thing that was...okay I guess?
  • To get good scores you need to utilise the thump properly, which is quite demanding of your thumbs.

I think Level 5 is when it starts getting really good, with 7 and 9 being my favourite.
  • Kow wrote:
    I'd be happy to see a 1080p rerelease of Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, as I only played some of the first one and thought it was great. Would be a good fit for the Switch motion control.

This.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    You've seen the Splatoon voice chat disaster right?

Yep. It's a total piece of shit, and undoubtedly a design flaw.

Surely though, someone can implement a chat system over mobile that does not require the user to link the phone to the console...

That's the sketchy part.
  • You don't have to link the phone to the console.

It's so you can get the console music to a pair of headphones while voice chatting through the headphones.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Correct. If you just want voice chat you do it through the headphones on a phone. It's only coz the Splatoon music is so damn fresh
  • The whole phone concept is a cluster fuck.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Hopefully they'll bring out a one ear job like the 360 did.
  • Bob wrote:
    The whole phone concept is a cluster fuck.

Nah.
  • On what planet would it not be better for the voice comms to work on the switch without a phone?? Via.. I don't know.. wifi?
    The Forum Herald™
  • You said clusterfuck, not a comparison to a more neat solution. a solution which exists for platforms which do not have the challenges of being necessarily equally playable with a perpetual power source and just a battery.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    While we're on the subject of online, do you think Nintendo might be playing about with the price of games, to see if it's feasible to maintain free online services?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Correct. If you just want voice chat you do it through the headphones on a phone. It's only coz the Splatoon music is so damn fresh

It's true, with games with non-fresh music, I usually play them on mute as sound effects add nothing to the experience.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

It's true, with games with non-fresh music, I usually play them on mute as sound effects add nothing to the experience.

Exactly. Destiny music is dull as fuck
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Exactly. Destiny music is dull as fuck

What????
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's a drive by haak. I don't mean it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!