Nintendo Switch
  • Or, yknow.... Fair enough, Paul.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I've heard good things about Jackbox Party. Anyone here played those?
    Yep, played all of them I think (though we only got pack 4 last weekend, so haven't played everything in there yet).  I'd say each pack contains a couple of hits and a couple of misses, but when they're good, they're really good.  The games definitely benefit from having as many players as possible - and the "best" ones rely at least partly on the people playing them.  Most popular in my household are Fibbage (a bluffing game), Quiplash (a "who can come up with the best punchline?" game), and Drawful (a game about doing terrible drawings).  The games use mobile phones, so you don't need to worry about controllers - and in theory some of them can be played with people who aren't in the room, though really, that's much less fun. So, yeah, they're great if you have a group of people that enjoy sitting around playing games together.  Utterly pointless if you don't.  The reliance on phones means everyone has a controller, but it also means you're playing a game where everyone is staring at their phone screen for most of the duration.  (And laughing.)

I've got 1-3 on PS4 retro.  Quiplash is the only game I've played so far, but that was so good it paid for itself.  Will be playing them on the mp thing.
  • lastant wrote:
    Selling a copy of Doom if anyone's interested?

How much are you looking to sell for? Never actually played it on another console, so would be a new experience for me and take the cart collection up to three!

Was looking for 25-30 quid?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Pinball FX3 is now on Switch. Comes with the usual one free table. But smartly they have added a screen rotation feature which makes it maybe the best of all versions. Apparently has cross play leaderboards/tournaments too (except with ps4 of course).
  • Nice. Will get on that tonight.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Ooh that seems perfect for Switch.
  • Oh my days that looks perfect. I’m on it.
  • That reminds me tha I’m off to the York Barbican to watch Jaws accompanied by a live orchestra in February. Should be pretty sweet.
  • I've enjoyed the times played with 1-2 Switch.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Pinball FX3 is now on Switch. Comes with the usual one free table. But smartly they have added a screen rotation feature which makes it maybe the best of all versions. Apparently has cross play leaderboards/tournaments too (except with ps4 of course).

Makes it worth a download itself.
  • 3 Bayonetta Games! Holy Moly!

Edit- Bit behind in the thread obviously.
  • Pulling out 1-2 Switch at a party is surely the death knell. I know I'd be ringing a taxi pronto, wouldn't want to be there when people start to eat an imaginary sandwich or pretend to play ping pong. I'm cringing just thinking about it.

Like I said, it’s easy to be cynical.
  • Zelda and Mario eh?

They’re second and third.

Regarding the Jackbox stuff, it would make more sense to me if it was a platform, where you add game packs as they’re released. As it is, no one game has enough of what I’d like to let me settle on one over the other, but I’m not keen on buying more than one.
  • 10 million of these things sold in the first 9 months. That's sure to bounce somewhat over Christmas. Doomed.
  • All these poor children waking up on Xmas morn, brand new Switch but nowt to play on it cos they bastards haven't released a single thing for it.
  • Sega do what Nintendon’t.

(Make good consoles and games.)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • All these poor children waking up on Xmas morn, brand new Switch but nowt to play on it cos they bastards haven't released a single thing for it.

At least they’ll have the console. Think of the poor Souls still waiting for the Wii U to be released.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Switch is the first Nintendo console I’ve bought in a while after skipping 2 home console gens and one handheld gen. It’s a nice console, and I’m excited that I won’t have to miss out on the Nintendo half of Atlus stuff anymore, and can catch up on some stuff I missed like Bayo 2.

So yeah, I’m happy with it. It is, however, underpowered and I do worry about whether or not we’ll see games beyond the scope of what we have already. Still, fingers crossed.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The scope that we have is fine. Innovation and imagination over horsepower.
  • Meh, I’ve little interest in discussing that, maybe scope was the wrong word.

Let me rephrase, Zelda would absolutely have been improved with a little more juice under the hood. Thankfully the game is so good that it doesn’t really matter too much but certain technical aspects like the draw distance and frame rate do not bode well for repeating and building upon similar experiences in future. You get what I mean?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sure, but I don't care. Raw power is for the other consoles. I didn't notice any technical failing with Zelda, and if they can stay at that level of technical competence for the next five years I'll be happy. I don't expect photo realism or anything like that from Nintendo. I have a pc for all that tat.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd prefer they didn't bother with Doom, Skyrim etc and focused on more Overcooked, Puyo Puyo, Stardew Valley etc.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh, that's what I'm looking forward to it for. I'll absolutely be double dipping on Stardew. Not Overcooked though, as great as it is I have it on Bone and cant imagine multiplayer on a small screen being good for that.

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Switch is light-years ahead of the 3DS and has had some of Nintendo's best software despite not doing much hardware-wise we haven't seen before. I sort of see what you mean in terms of there not seeming to be as much room for growth compared to, say, the PS2 era but in some respects it's a bit unfair to level that kind of thing at a mass-market handheld.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I get what Cinty means insomuch as Zelda could've looked better on PS4 or Bone.  Cutesy games don't tend to turn out that well elsewhere (Ratchet & Clank is a notable exception), and there's less point in polishing the cartoony look than the 'realistic' stuff, but for argument's sake: a Nintendo developed Zelda game on the other consoles would've looked better.

Pop-in always annoys me, but I had no real problems with the frame rate in BotW.  Other than the mior niggles I'm with Kow - those visuals are fine for the next five years.  My main worry would be that the console won't be able to keep pace with the cross-platform indie titles.

Whoever's developing Metroid need to tread carefully as it (presumably) can't really hide behind a cartoony aesthetic.
  • Lets just remember this is the most powerful dedicated handheld ever, not an underpowered home console ;-)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    And Nintendo cares about 60fps. Which to me is more important than more detail in the graphics.

New Splatoon 2 mode will be released this week (think today), that's way more important!
  • Got myself a 8Bitdo SF30 Pro controller in the post today! Will post shiny pics and impressions once I get dinner down me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Dinner at this hour?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!