Nintendo Switch
  • I'm on Chapter 5 and having a break - although that may have been a mistake, as I'm not inclined to pick it back up again right now. I really enjoyed the 40 or so hours to this point mind. Maybe later the completionist in me will kick in.

Edit. Page turn. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Righto, it was more the aspect of a ‘portable dock’ I didn’t get.  [...] I was wondering what wasn’t portable about the one Nintendo put in the box or sell as a spare unit?

A combination of the size and fragility: that front bit of plastic would get bent/snapped so easily in transit; the Switch easily fits in my work bag, the dock does not.
  • AJ wrote:
    Righto, it was more the aspect of a ‘portable dock’ I didn’t get.  [...] I was wondering what wasn’t portable about the one Nintendo put in the box or sell as a spare unit?
    A combination of the size and fragility: that front bit of plastic would get bent/snapped so easily in transit; the Switch easily fits in my work bag, the dock does not.

Are you going to connect it to a telly? Otherwise you can just plug the charger right into it?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yes, the idea is that it can be played at my mate's when I drop in on my way home.
  • There's your first problem.. don't have mates.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Less than a week and my Switch has been marked by the dock. I thought I'd have a bit of leeway to get some padding in there, but apparently not. Thinking I might return it and wait for the next decent offer.
  • I've stuck felt to mine , along the the ridges.

You can also get Dock socks

V02nbmj.jpg
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I was going to stick felt on it, but I didn't want to not play it on the TV while I wait for it.
  • Buzzing to see Hair's.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It's a pair of your Ma's kecks.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Ha,ha outtathewaymoot.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • It's a pair of your Ma's kecks.

9XoqfN.gif
  • The more I think about it, the more it seems a good idea to return the Switch. I mean, there's the principal thing, obviously, but if that's happened so easily, the screen's gong to end up wrecked within a year.
  • Put a screen protector on it.

And as it's a known problem be a bit careful with it? Mines a launch day one edition and the screen is showing precisely no marks.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I hate screen protectors, they look fucking ugly and I'm always worries they won't come off properly/easily.

I'm more concerned with it picking up scratches from other things than the dock, which I could easily stick felt on. The ease of causing significant damage to the screen seems unacceptably high for a portable.
  • I'm also thinking there's a fairly good chance of an updated version being released in a couple of years.
  • AJ wrote:
    Less than a week and my Switch has been marked by the dock. I thought I'd have a bit of leeway to get some padding in there, but apparently not. Thinking I might return it and wait for the next decent offer.

I ask again - what are you people doing with this console?? Is the idea to fling the console in from afar to impress mates? Are you dropping it from a height to prove your skill? I just don't understand how so many people have damaged their switch with the dock.

SFV - reddave360
  • The genuine Switch screen protector is virtually invisible to the naked eye switched on or off. it's not like the bubbly pieces of crap you get on iphone.

Mind you I never got a scratch for the first few months when I didn't use one either. Just hold the thing firm while you put it in the dock and it cant hit the side. It's not rocket science.
    The Forum Herald™
  • There are fair few of these niggly faults with Switch it seems. Some won't experience any issues of course but it definitely seems like a refined version is needed.
  • I wonder if a lot of the people who claim to have no issue just aren't noticing them. It's not on the display area, admittedly.

RedDave2 wrote:
    Less than a week and my Switch has been marked by the dock. I thought I'd have a bit of leeway to get some padding in there, but apparently not. Thinking I might return it and wait for the next decent offer.
    I ask again - what are you people doing with this console?? Is the idea to fling the console in from afar to impress mates? Are you dropping it from a height to prove your skill? I just don't understand how so many people have damaged their switch with the dock.

I've literally just carefully put it in and taken it out of the dock.
  • There are fair few of these niggly faults with Switch it seems. Some won't experience any issues of course but it definitely seems like a refined version is needed.

Mine has dysnc joycon issue if the it's docked and not in line of site.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I reckon the circled bits here are at fault.

img[
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm sure I read somewhere that on some docks the front is more tilted than others.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • My screen protector is slightly scratched, just outside the image.  I'm careful with it, but I guess my daughter may have done it at some point.  

I think Bob's right about the screen protectors, they're not the usual crap at all, but I also agree with AJ about the unacceptably high for a portable thing.  The dock scratching the unit is a pretty big fuck up on Nintendo's part imo.  Not scratching the screen should've been fairly high on their checklist of do's and don'ts.  'Be careful with it' is always good advice with electronics, but if you're careful 99% of the time, then accidentally fudge the docking (whey!) after a few shandies on one occasion you could still end up with a problem.  

I upgraded my GBA for an SP, and my early 360 for one with an HDMI port, but I can't remember upgrading any other hardware through choice.  I know I'll do it with the Switch though, because I blummin' love the thing, but I'm calling poor show on the fact that the current version has so many niggles.
  • 50p says they release a "pro" version with a glass screen and better Joy-Cons.
  • You think they'll do a Switch Mini or something? They've iterated on every handheld they've ever released and something like half of their home consoles.
  • Flip cover that folds to the back when using the switch. Folds to the front and is Scratch proof for travel and when inserting into the dock of doom. Comes in a variety of colours.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Pretty sure I've seen those when browsing Switch stuff on Amazon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!