Nintendo Switch
  • Honestly I think they'll leave this one alone. I think they'll redesign the dock at some point.
  • No way they do a bigger or smaller version of this system. There's too much thought gone into the joycons for any changes to the device profile. The best they could do is increase the screen size by reducing the back borders surrounding it.

The GBA was revised because there was no backlight and 3rd parties were profiting. The DS was revised because the OG was ugly and wasn't selling well. This doesn't have those significant flaws and is selling very well. Can't see any changes for a long time and don't see the need for them either.
  • AJ wrote:
    I reckon the circled bits here are at fault.

img[

I’d be surprised. That’s the soft rubber that holds the Switch in place once docked. I think the issue is that, as it’s not a tight fit, the screen can scrape against the hard plastic runners on its way in and out.

Impressive to damage the screen in a week. Put a screen protector on it (or your next one). Pick up a decent glass one and, like me, you’ll find out that you’re wrong about screen protectors.
  • You mean they do come off easily?

Thinking about it, though, they do kinda make more sense with this because the screen's made of such a shitty material.
  • I don't think they can mess with the form too much but a revised model with better screen, slightly better processor to help with the switch (ahem) to big screen is all plausible. Maybe hard to sell as an update though
    SFV - reddave360
  • Syph79 wrote:
    No way they do a bigger or smaller version of this system. There's too much thought gone into the joycons for any changes to the device profile. The best they could do is increase the screen size by reducing the back borders surrounding it.

The Joy-Cons could easily be bigger, certainly in the West, anyway. It would also be possible to make it bigger/smaller than it is while using the same Joy-Cons. Anyway, that's not how I think they'll revise it, anyway.

The GBA was revised because there was no backlight and 3rd parties were profiting. The DS was revised because the OG was ugly and wasn't selling well. This doesn't have those significant flaws and is selling very well. Can't see any changes for a long time and don't see the need for them either.

Yeah, but there were the GBA Micro, DSi and DSXL (just picking up on the ones you mentioned) and the screen covering being a piece of shit is a pretty good reason for a redesign.

As an aside, I was under the impression that the DS got a redesign because it was selling well; the first was a proof of concept to see if people would go for it before the spent longer on the design and engineering to make a nicer unit.
  • AJ wrote:
    You mean they do come off easily?

No, about them being fucking ugly. Mine is superbly engineered. If I didn’t tell you, you wouldn’t know it’s on there.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I don't think they can mess with the form too much but a revised model with better screen, slightly better processor to help with the switch (ahem) to big screen is all plausible. Maybe hard to sell as an update though

Presumably, they could upgrade to a 1080p display and have all old games run in docked mode on the go. Plus, the same things they did with the New 3DS.
  • Andy wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    You mean they do come off easily?
    No, about them being fucking ugly. Mine is superbly engineered. If I didn’t tell you, you wouldn’t know it’s on there.

Yeah, I know, I was just airing my gripe with screen protectors on the whole. ;)

Which do you have, out of curiosity, and how hard was it to fit without air bubbles?
  • AJ wrote:
    Presumably, they could upgrade to a 1080p display and have all old games run in docked mode on the go.

This, plus full use of the screen as mentioned further up the page.  Maybe some sort of detachable dpad for the Joycons depending on how they're being used.  Battery life.  Other tweaks to put on a checklist on the box, like extra internal memory. 

As it's selling so ridiculously well, completely ruling out the possibility of redesigned Joycons is a stretch.  I seriously doubt they'd be that bait (in a rush to walk the dog, there's a better word for that), but you never know.  Cha-ching.
  • I would pay for a proper d pad for the left con. Well, assuming there is a decent virtual console with snes retro titles (Maybe even some genesis and pc engine stuff too)
    SFV - reddave360
  • How on earth people are damaging their Switches by placing them in the dock is baffling. Are they drunk whilst doing it? Blind? My Switch comes to work with me in my truck, gets put in and taken out of that dock twice daily, and I've never seen the slightest mark on it.

Also, a screen protector man, put one on it. I was against them for a while - until I got given one. It's not 2008 any more, these things are built to go on and not be noticed. They're pretty impressive if put on right.

You can't even see mine.
  • Either you've got an unusually good dock, or you need an eye test; I've been careful as fuck with mine because I'd heard about the problems.
  • Uh, I just discovered that they're not scratches on my screen but smudges of rubber...
  • Andy wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    I reckon the circled bits here are at fault.

img[

I’d be surprised. That’s the soft rubber that holds the Switch in place once docked.

Ha, I was right, it was those!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Some boy. Now count your blessings and buy an orzly
  • A bigger joycon means no Labo compatibility. Can't see it myself. I also don't think they'd push for a 1080p screen on a device that size. I think the Switch will stay as it is for a good while yet. But even if they did upgrade it, I love/use mine so much I'd seriously consider it.
  • AJ wrote:
    Uh, I just discovered that they're not scratches on my screen but smudges of rubber...

Lol!!!
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Some boy. Now count your blessings and buy an orzly

I've been thinking about getting their pad, but can't find a single review. Dock can probably wait for second gen ones.
  • Had a screen protector on my switch since day one, not a scratch in sight. Crazy not to put one on what is an expensive piece of portable kit.
  • I've got scratches on the back of mines from the dock. Partridgeshrug.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I put one on my machine but feel dirty every time I look at it. May do the felt thing and remove the screen protector.
  • I may well fit a screen protector when I get one of those mini dock/adaptor things; the Switch will probably go face down when it's in use.
  • We all know at some point Nintendo is going to launch a new slimline dock with the next switch hardware refresh. A bit like 3ds xl charging docks. In a range of colours that do not cover the screen. A fiver says im right.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    They could do a 900p 7" screen with a better battery for permadocked, and offer a d-pad JC bundled as well as separate.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    We all know at some point Nintendo is going to launch a new slimline dock with the next switch hardware refresh. A bit like 3ds xl charging docks. In a range of colours that do not cover the screen. A fiver says im right.

That's a given with economies of scale. However I don't see a switch 1.1 for a few years yet. It's doing too well at the moment.
  • It's also been out less than a year...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Think of it as scarification rather than scratching. Boom, now it's quirky and aspirational.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yeah. A little bit of pain never hurt anyone eh.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!