Nintendo Switch
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Looks like some kind of hardware revision is incoming although whether it's just an internal revision that will close security vulnerabilities or a major new model is unclear.

It'll be the former. Basically, those who don't want to make homebrew or pirate games will be able to sell original units on eBay for a profit this time next year.
  • AJ wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If it's £3 I'm in.

While you've got to assume it will be, I haven't seen any mention of it being released digitally at all.

Are there any Switch games that are physical only?
  • Are there any recent games for any platform that are physical only?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Oooh Flashback. I remember that.

Was meant to sound like a memba berry?

SFV - reddave360
  • I'll pick up both Another World and Flashback and sell the SNES versions.

I'm in the process of enhancing my SNES collection, and those two were poor ports unfortunately.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • AJ wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Looks like some kind of hardware revision is incoming although whether it's just an internal revision that will close security vulnerabilities or a major new model is unclear.
    It'll be the former. Basically, those who don't want to make homebrew or pirate games will be able to sell original units on eBay for a profit this time next year.

It’ll hopefully be hhd rumble which will not be shit unlike hd rumble.
    The Forum Herald™
  • While that would be nice, hackers have already discovered the main thing in the last update was support for a new SOC version.
  • Is there any way to transfer saves from console to console?  I'm up for selling an old model to fund a newer one + fresh guarantee at some point - assuming this thing becomes a thing - but not if my progress is tied to my existing unit.
  • You can, but you need both consoles present. There's not going to be much point for quite a while; prices on hack able units (assuming they didn't find a way to prevent it via a firmware update) won't rise decently until they become scarce.
  • There is a nintendo direct showcase next week for nindies titles.
  • Yup. I'm hoping for some kind of reveal, but it'll probably just be the stuff we already know about.
  • Has anyone played Doom on the switch? I'm interested in it but so many reviews cant help but go off on a comparison to the high spec versions. I just want to know if it plays well in its own right.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I'll pick up both Another World and Flashback and sell the SNES versions. I'm in the process of enhancing my SNES collection, and those two were poor ports unfortunately.
    I believe that this new version of Flashback is a remaster of the SNES version....
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Has anyone played Doom on the switch? I'm interested in it but so many reviews cant help but go off on a comparison to the high spec versions. I just want to know if it plays well in its own right.

I know its been patched since release and has been improved framerate wise, I'm sure its fine, especially if you haven't played it on PS4.

I'll pick up both Another World and Flashback and sell the SNES versions. I'm in the process of enhancing my SNES collection, and those two were poor ports unfortunately.

I believe that this new version of Flashback is a remaster of the SNES version....

Hmm, odd to port the inferior version.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Has anyone played Doom on the switch? I'm interested in it but so many reviews cant help but go off on a comparison to the high spec versions. I just want to know if it plays well in its own right.

Digital foundry have done a few pieces on it. It's obviously not as pretty or buttery smooth as the other versions but is an incredibly impressive port and only drops frames noticeably when things get really hectic on nightmare. I'd recommend the videos, if you've got the time and can stomach the tech nerdery.
  • AJ wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Digital foundry have done a few pieces on it. It's obviously not as pretty or buttery smooth as the other versions but is an incredibly impressive port and only drops frames noticeably when things get really hectic on nightmare. I'd recommend the videos, if you've got the time and can stomach the tech nerdery.

It's actually the opposite - I dont really care for the tech stuff or how impressive a conversion it is. I just want to know if it plays well as a stand alone title without comparison to the other versions.
    SFV - reddave360
  • That's what it was talking about. Unless a port of an action game/ FPS is fundamentally fucked up, which you would have heard about, the frame rate is the thing that affects whether it plays well. Just read my answer as a yes, if that's easier.
  • It definitely does.
  • Sounds like it's spectacular whichever version you play.  I only recently played it on PS4, such an incredibly good game, very arcadey too so it'd probably suit undocked just as well as big TV play.
  • My main problem with it was when playing handheld, the joycon sticks just aren't good enough for quick aiming. Maybe I could've worked a little with sensitivity settings. Or played with my Pro pad.

As an aside, i might have to get stupid wee stick covers for the joycons. Find after just a little session my thumbs slip off them quite easily.
  • My main problem with it was when playing handheld, the joycon sticks just aren't good enough for quick aiming. Maybe I could've worked a little with sensitivity settings. Or played with my Pro pad. As an aside, i might have to get stupid wee stick covers for the joycons. Find after just a little session my thumbs slip off them quite easily.

Thats my main worry - Granted I can just use the pro, but a lot of my switch gaming is in handheld and while I've no major problem with the joycons, I get the feeling for a fast FPS they may cause major grief. Does the game compensate with auto aim?
    SFV - reddave360
  • AJ wrote:
    That's what it was talking about. Unless a port of an action game/ FPS is fundamentally fucked up, which you would have heard about, the frame rate is the thing that affects whether it plays well. Just read my answer as a yes, if that's easier.

Fair enough. I'm generally a fan of smooth 60fps but my expectations of the switch hitting that for some games is obviously low. I found a lot of the reviews waffled on about the resolution and the frame rate too much as a comparison which is of zip to me if the game plays alright. 30 fps if mostly steady is fine, even preferred over very choppy 60 fps for example.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The Nindies thing is tonight.  Am I right in thinking that's exclusive Nintendo funded/backed stuff only, or is it just what they call indie games on Switch?
  • Oh, that's just what they call indie games on Switch.
  • My hopes for One Finger Death Punch 2 take a nosedive. Forgot I got this reply from the devs last week..

SF4o2x2.jpg
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Oh man, that would be sweet. I fucking love OFDP!
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Wait, just realised your reply is somewhat negative but not sure why...
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    My main problem with it was when playing handheld, the joycon sticks just aren't good enough for quick aiming. Maybe I could've worked a little with sensitivity settings. Or played with my Pro pad. As an aside, i might have to get stupid wee stick covers for the joycons. Find after just a little session my thumbs slip off them quite easily.

Thats my main worry - Granted I can just use the pro, but a lot of my switch gaming is in handheld and while I've no major problem with the joycons, I get the feeling for a fast FPS they may cause major grief. Does the game compensate with auto aim?

They've now patched in motion control aiming too and folks have said that it's very good.
  • Cosby wrote:
    Wait, just realised your reply is somewhat negative but not sure why...

Hopes for it being on the direct I guess?
  • Aye hopefully it'll come soon but at the announcement of this nindie thing tonight I thought oh yass OFDP2!!!!! but nah. Fingers crossed for the future!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!