adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Can we retitle this thread "A catalog of people systematically shitting on everything that EvilRedEye loves" as I think it would be more honest tbh
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Smash and RPGs?

A smash bros RPG actually makes sense.

Edit: holy shit the more i think about it the more I would be way more behind that then actual smash. And I quite like smash.
  • I don’t really get “RPGs” at all. They seem to contain so many contradictions as games that I can’t really fathom the appeal. If people are into story why have patience for something that gatekeeps the story behind a lot of work. (I imagine it’s like reading a book but having to do ten dumbbell curls between pages). If people are into clever battles the. Why as a percentage are the battles mundane compared to the number that stumbles you. It’s as a whole really weird.

With you on this.. especially JRPGs.. Played Persona 4 and there's virtually no actual game.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yip - also jrpgs have a formula, go to town fetch some stuff buy some new kit go to next town repeat which gets boring quickly
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • The biggest problem I found, back when I used to play them*, was all the battles where you wouldn't have to think or anything; every input you made was the only one you could in the situation and you'd repeat it over and over. It was like working in a data entry position, basically.

* FF6-8 and Chrono Trigger, basically.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Octo Traveler is totally that boring nonsense, padded out with horrendous never-ending dialogue about shite.
  • So a standard JRPG then?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It has nice tilt shift style graphics but otherwise yes. Par for the course drivel.
  • I really like Octopath Traveler, so much so that I'm annoyed I didn't get to review it and instead had to put up with the terribly written Shining Resonance Refrain.
    On the plus side SRR looks nice, and the action is pretty good.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Divinity is the only RPG I have really wanted to play of recent years but don’t have the time unless it’s on handheld ie during my commute

• I played Undertale recently, which I hated.  When I was done with FFVII I thought it was the definitive GOAT genre but I lost interest.  Not finishing Skies of Arcadia is my only regret, I was enjoying that before my Dreamcast cruelly plunged from the top of a chest of drawers when I was 24hrs in. I gave it another go after the repair it but it wasn't happening for some reason, and I could never go back to something with that many random battles.  Even when I was enjoying it I often ended up full of dread and reluctant to move the character after hearing the dreaded disc drive whirr that meant your next step triggered a battle sequence.

Grid tactics rarely fail to sustain my interest.  I love Fire Emblem to bits, but I do skip the text because imho it's all bollocks.  Lovely anime sequences though.
  • Yeah, I thought Undertale was overrated bollocks, too.
  • I always enjoyed what used to be referred to as 'action RPGs' - Zelda games, Soleil, Landstalker, Story of Thor, Dark Savior etc.

Edit: The fact that I played (and loved) Sword of Vermillion and Shining the Holy Ark suggests I liked maze RPGs back then too, but the thought of playing something set out like that now is horrendous.
  • Actual bona fide RPGs I've liked:

Eternal Sonata
    Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2
    Vagrant Story
    Suikoden

Ones I've completed:

(I'm probably being very harsh, and forgetting a few)
  • Slime-San sneaks into the offer section at 50% off (£5), got that on my list so yes please.  Dead Cells is showing at a healthy 20% for a pre-order (although this only brings it down to £17.99).

Edit: August 7th release btw.
  • Is there a reason for the Japanese influenced name, or are the developers just dicks that think it's cute?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Is there a reason for the Japanese influenced name, or are the developers just dicks that think it's cute?

He, er... *Shuffles papers, finds press release" he um "looks kawaii"?
  • AJ wrote:
    Yeah, I thought Undertale was overrated bollocks, too.
    thought it was just me who didn't get "it"

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I imagine Slime-san was partially influenced by copyright as well. There was a game called Mr. Slime on the Nintendo DS, Square-Enix have their slime characters in Dragon Quest, etc. etc.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Coulda called it Slime Dude or something...
  • People who aren't into JRPGs not liking Undertale is hardly a shocker.
    AJ wrote:
    The biggest problem I found, back when I used to play them*, was all the battles where you wouldn't have to think or anything; every input you made was the only one you could in the situation and you'd repeat it over and over. It was like working in a data entry position, basically. * FF6-8 and Chrono Trigger, basically.
    And this is a weird comment. One of the reasons FF7 in particular is so well regarded (including by me) is the flexibility of the combat. There are a ton of things you can choose to do and some clever strategies required to beat the tougher enemies.

It is often like that at the beginning of a JRPG, because they tend to introduce the different systems gradually, but most of the good ones will be pretty complex after a while.
  • I feel like I've never gotten JRPG combat stuff. It tends to feel fairly rote but then again I tend to not experiment much while playing games so it's probably on me.
  • Replaying FF7 at the minute and it's still my absolute favourite.

Octopath I like a lot, and will pick up at the end of the month as it'll be good for holiday. I'm not a big fan of the made up 'olde English' used by some of the characters, it makes reading the text annoying in places. Overall I like the combat, and I suspect a lot more depth to come in the main game.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I found the Brave / Default mechanic in their past two games to be one of the most tactical I've come across, to the extent that for a single move I'd spend minutes working through what I could or should do, and for certain enemies and bosses, writing down what their attack values were so I can figure out how long I could default. When you get to some of the later bosses, particularly in the first game, that was invaluable. I have hopes that Octopath has a similar depth, not unfounded as they've got it right the last two times.

Plus, my idiot picture book edition dispatched this morning so I'm fucked either way.
  • I feel like I've never gotten JRPG combat stuff. It tends to feel fairly rote but then again I tend to not experiment much while playing games so it's probably on me.

This is the reason I don't get the most out of most games (not that I don't enjoy doing it my way).  I tend to stick to my thing, regardless of alternatives.  Not always, obviously, but Horizon might be a good example.  I hardly experimented with the combat options because I latched onto my thing early on - sniper arrows and up close spamming.  I also blunderbussed through TLoU because I haven't got the patience for stealth in 3D.  God of War too, I was paying to unlock loads of extra moves and finding extra charms etc but not learning or using them.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Horizon became hide in the bushes and take out guards by whistling for me.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I found the Brave / Default mechanic in their past two games to be one of the most tactical I've come across, to the extent that for a single move I'd spend minutes working through what I could or should do, and for certain enemies and bosses, writing down what their attack values were so I can figure out how long I could default. When you get to some of the later bosses, particularly in the first game, that was invaluable. I have hopes that Octopath has a similar depth, not unfounded as they've got it right the last two times. Plus, my idiot picture book edition dispatched this morning so I'm fucked either way.

I cancelled my big book edition, which I already regret but I had a preorder for half the price and couldn't justify it to myself. Let me know how cool it is!

Completely agree about brave/default system, it allows you to spam kill weaker enemies, and later on figure out the best way to build an advantage against almost impossible bosses (4th run chapter 5 grrrr).

Oh also how was Cyrus in Octo? I've just got to Atlasdam.
  • JonB wrote:
    People who aren't into JRPGs not liking Undertale is hardly a shocker.
    AJ wrote:
    The biggest problem I found, back when I used to play them*, was all the battles where you wouldn't have to think or anything; every input you made was the only one you could in the situation and you'd repeat it over and over. It was like working in a data entry position, basically. * FF6-8 and Chrono Trigger, basically.
    And this is a weird comment. One of the reasons FF7 in particular is so well regarded (including by me) is the flexibility of the combat. There are a ton of things you can choose to do and some clever strategies required to beat the tougher enemies.

It is often like that at the beginning of a JRPG, because they tend to introduce the different systems gradually, but most of the good ones will be pretty complex after a while.

I would attempt to rebut most of the claims here if I had gotten more sleep. What I will say is that thinking Overtale is overrated isn't all to do with being bored of JRPGs. It's not funny, but thinks it is or, at least, tries really hard to be, for a start.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I found the Brave / Default mechanic in their past two games to be one of the most tactical I've come across, to the extent that for a single move I'd spend minutes working through what I could or should do, and for certain enemies and bosses, writing down what their attack values were so I can figure out how long I could default. When you get to some of the later bosses, particularly in the first game, that was invaluable. I have hopes that Octopath has a similar depth, not unfounded as they've got it right the last two times. Plus, my idiot picture book edition dispatched this morning so I'm fucked either way.

I cancelled my big book edition, which I already regret but I had a preorder for half the price and couldn't justify it to myself. Let me know how cool it is!

Completely agree about brave/default system, it allows you to spam kill weaker enemies, and later on figure out the best way to build an advantage against almost impossible bosses (4th run chapter 5 grrrr).

Oh also how was Cyrus in Octo? I've just got to Atlasdam.

Won't be back in UK till 18th so you shall have to wait until then. Also, I believe you mean "mrrrgrrrrrgrrr" above, right? I like Cyrus because he's a very smooth customer but also
    Spoiler:
  • How did I miss that!

Getting into Cyrus, I'm starting to get the same impression. 
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!