Looking at faraway stuff
  • Mars is out and looking good in this heat.

It's a real treat at the moment. Jupiter dominating before dusk even, like a second distant moon. Saturn dimmer and not as close. A few days ago, a full blood red moon thanks to the Sirocco, at the time.a delightful sight but a harbinger of insufferable heat to come. And to its left, unmistakable, a red undimming, low presence, had to be Mars and it was..think that was Friday.

Perseids tonight. iSS saying hello while I wait. Think I need to get myself off to somewhere high next summer.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I got an Instagram ad yesterday for some kind of super-duper mega monocular capable of seeing Saturn in all its ringed glory. And it was only like 100 dollars. Complete bullshit?
  • its true, all of it
    Spoiler:

but seriously, no idea
  • Probably but maybe not. The biggest problem is resolution not magnification and this requires a big mirror, and there's no getting around how costly they are to produce.

Can't quite remember but Hubble magnification was tiny (3x?) because it's not important. It's the amount of light collected that's important and that's going to cost in something so precise as a telescope mirror. No doubt machine learning will help but I don't know if they're using that right now.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Btw Muzzy you should get into machine learning in your spare time. The concepts are stupid easy to understand but the results are unbelievable. 

It's just a matrix of randomly initialised weighted numbers. The weights are adjusted as each training instance is fed in using differentiation to lower the mean squared error. It was invented decades ago but it took GPUs (and a few clever tweaks to stop the gradients tending to zero as it is trained) to get to work. 

Google has a free course. As a maths guy you'll ace it.
  • Oops wrong thread.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    This is a good read, a countdown to the 50 strangest objects in the universe.

https://astronomy.com/tags/weirdest-objects

Nice find. Thanks.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I haven’t read it, I probably won’t understand it, but we may have solved the black hole information paradox, according to Coxey.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1905.08255.pdf

Might be a fun read for some of you.

• Oh a magic door, why didnt you say so.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Wouldn’t know. Haven’t read it.
  • I didn't even understand the abstract. If anybody is wondering why information can't be lost it's because the universe has to have a way of getting back to a previous state (sort of time-reversal) and it can't do that if it has lost some info. If stuff disappears for good then the universe can't 'remember' say, how much energy it had and that would cause it to break.
  • Is that why I keep finding old 50p coins in the sofa?
  • Pretty much.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    the universe has to have a way of getting back to a previous state

Says who? And why?
  • Because the arrow of time doesn't have a direction as such, except the second law of thermodynamics, but that's not a law as much as a statistical phenomena. While it's highly unlikely, there's no law stopping your melted ice cube from reforming, and if there were that would be a problem.
  • Actually that's not quite true, it's about the progression (forward and backward) of the wave function and the quantum state, but I was trying to find a loose analogy.
  • If you corrupt the future quantum state of an object you also corrupt it's past. That's probably the best way of saying it.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • The drummer is the bestest.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't really understand what you're saying.  Maybe I've had too much caffeine. Doesn't e.g. a collapsing wave function implicitly lose information?
  • It depends on the interpretation to an extent and the many worlds avoids this nicely, but even with the Copenhagen view this is avoided. A bit.

You can't experimentally show this to be the case, that the info is lost. This sounds trivial but it's not. The observer influences the system from the outside and there's plenty of room to have the info stored instead in the outside party. Whether this is true or not is up for debate.

Much of this is interpretation dependent. Many argue there is no information at all until something is observed but once it's out there it must stay out there. It's a difficult topic.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I don't really understand what you're saying.  Maybe I've had too much caffeine. Doesn't e.g. a collapsing wave function implicitly lose information?

Resolves it, is possibly a better term than lose it.
    The information was there before, now it's in a different state.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I think generally nearly all physicists implicitly believe there's no info loss because it would make some subjects very difficult. It would certainly indicate a true direction of time and that raises a whole load of new questions and would require some new physics. Not impossible but probably revolutionary.
  • Trending on Twitter, maybe bullshit. But some people are suggesting there will be an announcement on the following:

"Phosphine signature found in the atmosphere of Venus.
    Phosphine is a strong biosignature gas, as it has no known abiotic false positives on terrestrial planets from any source that could generate the high fluxes required for detection.
    Source: MIT"
  • Link?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Check the tin foil thread.
  • No thanks. It's gotta be bullshit.
  • They've only recently discovered phosphene can only be made by anaerobic life and all of a sudden it's found on Venus? Mmmmm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!