Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What's the big innovation with this one? Is it just the power of the rocket?
  • Yep.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • And the cheapness. The basic idea is to make a space aeroplane that can deliver 100 ton spaceloads in one go at a super cheap price. In terms of exploration, moonbases, telescopes etc it'll be revolutionary.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    One of the major things is 100% reusability for both stages, if you’re not throwing away stages like traditional rockets, the cost comes way down.
    Things can only get better.
  • And when power and low cost converge you always get a revolution. Agriculture, Industrial, computing and now space! It's exciting stuff.
  • Joe Rogan has just a guy on that was talking about some of the JWST stuff that Davy mentioned.

• "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

Yeah - heard that on the radio just as I got out of bed this morning. Great to hear.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • God's speed little lander!

• It survived! Now full situation
  • The little guy made it! The full automation of landing is really getting things moving again. About time after 50yrs.
  • Holy tits Starship did its thing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    is that the big boy?
  • Yeah. Don't think it survived the re-entry but that's ok. Every iteration gets better.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looked good on re-entry for a while - it's attitude looked decent - near vertical. Was cool seeing the fins trying to keep it upright before signal was lost.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    That was awesome and they’ll have learned a lot with those failed re-entry/landings. Starship the biggest single object put into space in a single flight.
    Things can only get better.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The on-ship footage is great. As are the little diagnostic displays on the streams. Like the one showing the active engines. :)
  • It's a big deal, this. Nasa needs it to get back to the Moon.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Big step getting the separation working I guess.

Is the intention that the starship (stage2) can perform a proper landing too? I'm presuming it's meant to do that on the Moon and the Earth given the 9 engines it has.

Marvellous efforts. I wish Musk would stick with that and battery tech.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wondering how much engineering is still required to get this all working. It strikes me now as a large calculation/software effort now controlling the gizmos.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    The on-ship footage is great. As are the little diagnostic displays on the streams. Like the one showing the active engines. :)

Haven’t seen a smoother re entry since the end of Moonraker.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK wrote:
    Big step getting the separation working I guess. Is the intention that the starship (stage2) can perform a proper landing too? I'm presuming it's meant to do that on the Moon and the Earth given the 9 engines it has. Marvellous efforts. I wish Musk would stick with that and battery tech.

Yeah it needs to land. It has the potential to take 100 people but it'll be mainly used for taking large equipment for moonbase stuff I guess. SpaceX has the luxury of being able to crash loads of stuff. It's the best and cheapest way to do it. The public would have a shitfit if Nasa took the same approach because tax dollars, even though it's the better approach.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!