Looking at faraway stuff
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    NASA Moon rocket is a go. Unmanned for the first flight, it'll go circle the moon. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62640529

Stupendously effing cool.   :)  :)   :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yup. That capsule (vid in that link) is just lovely. 4k moonwalk footage is going to be great!
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Anyone got a link to the uncompressed James Webb image of Jupiter?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yup. That capsule (vid in that link) is just lovely. 4k moonwalk footage is going to be great!

Capsule looks palatial compared to Apollo.

The footage is going to be stunning.

Wonder what the lunar module looks like.
  • Can't find one but I know it's a composite.

@ Goobs
  • davyK wrote:

https://www.nasa.gov/content/more-about-the-human-landing-system-program

SpaceX has also been given a NASA wad of cash to develop Starship, which lands on the moon as a rocket ready to takeoff again. I presume the general idea is for NASA to land for show, like the Moon landings, and maybe SpaceX to do the heavy lifting for building bases. I think NASA are also doing a permanent Moon orbiter that can be uses as a supplied manned outpost thing.

Edit: It appears SpaceX have won the contract for the first landing with the Starship! This seems a bit mental tbh.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Lunar landing and takeoff should be easier than on Earth due to the 1/6 gravity. Still....quite something.    They haven't done a manned landing on Earth yet.

That SpaceX solution looks enormous - how is that going to be put into an SLS payload?
  • It appears the Starship got the contract because it was actually the cheapest! It's kind of mad but it's pretty exciting, proper futuristic stuff. 

But yeah, they still have a way to go with it. Isn't there another planned landing test soon?
  • Anyone got a link to the uncompressed James Webb image of Jupiter?

This any good?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasawebbtelescope/52303461859/sizes/l/

The super hi-res stuff gets put on here, but there's no Jupiter yet:

https://webbtelescope.org/resource-gallery/images
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK wrote:
    https://www.nasa.gov/content/more-about-the-human-landing-system-program SpaceX has also been given a NASA wad of cash to develop Starship, which lands on the moon as a rocket ready to takeoff again. I presume the general idea is for NASA to land for show, like the Moon landings, and maybe SpaceX to do the heavy lifting for building bases. I think NASA are also doing a permanent Moon orbiter that can be uses as a supplied manned outpost thing. Edit: It appears SpaceX have won the contract for the first landing with the Starship! This seems a bit mental tbh.

There are 6 currently planned missions for Artemis.

Artemis I: Send an unmanned capsule on a Lunar flyby.
    Artemis II: Send a crewed capsule on a Lunar flyby.
    Artemis III: Send a crew into Lunar orbit on the Lunar Gateway, and then land on the Moon, using Starship.
    Artemis IV: Send a crew to Lunar orbit, and deliver an additional module to the Lunar Gateway.
    Artemis V: Send a crew into Lunar orbit on the Lunar Gateway, and then land on the Moon, using Starship, then drive around on the moon in case there are Moon Chicks to impress. Also deliver a new module to the Gateway.
    Artemis VI: Send a crew into Lunar orbit on the Lunar Gateway, and then land on the Moon, using Starship. Also deliver a new module to the Gateway.

The reason for Starship is that it doesn't leave a landing stage behind.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Starship is big and heavy though - that has to integrate with the launch vehicle which has to have enough power to get the whole assembly (including the lunar gateway?) into Earth orbit. I presume they have figured that out though!!  :)    Artemis III looks horrifically complicated.

I presume starship forms the upper portion of the assembly.

Starship will also require hugely detailed landing plans. It's quite a different thing landing upright to dropping the old Apollo module.

Landing looks to be a vanity project at the minute. The gateway is far more important. But I guess landing on the Moon will be essential before a Martian landing. Plenty of time for that though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Anyone got a link to the uncompressed James Webb image of Jupiter?

This any good?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasawebbtelescope/52303461859/sizes/l/

The super hi-res stuff gets put on here, but there's no Jupiter yet:

https://webbtelescope.org/resource-gallery/images

I was hoping for the super hi-res stuff. Thanks for the link, I'll bookmark that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looks like Solaris.  :)
  • davyK wrote:
    Starship is big and heavy though - that has to integrate with the launch vehicle which has to have enough power to get the whole assembly (including the lunar gateway?) into Earth orbit. I presume they have figured that out though!!  :)    Artemis III looks horrifically complicated. 

I presume starship forms the upper portion of the assembly. 

Starship will also require hugely detailed landing plans. It's quite a different thing landing upright to dropping the old Apollo module. 

Landing looks to be a vanity project at the minute. The gateway is far more important. But I guess landing on the Moon will be essential before a Martian landing. Plenty of time for that though.

The Gateway will already be in position prior to Artemis III. That's it's own separate mission, which will be sent up on a Falcon Heavy. 

When we say Starship, it's actually Starship HLS, which again will be sent in advance. As this only has to deal with the Lunar atmosphere, there's no heat shielding like Starship has.

The actual Artemis III mission will launch on SLS like the others, and dock in Lunar orbit.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Yeah Starship is it’s own thing - takes off from earth as stage 2, with the reusable stage 1 heavy booster doing the lifting. Heads off to the moon to rendezvous with Lunar Gateway, astronauts transfer to it and lands on moon. A bit of lunar golf and then it takes them back to the Lunar Gateway.

SpaceX’s heavy booster will be the most powerful rocket ever flown. They’re prepping the first orbital test right now with Booster/Starship combo.
    Things can only get better.
  • Over 50 yrs since Apollo so I guess it's about bloody time for all this. I can't keep up. Let's hope they can keep the momentum and it seems a lot is riding on SpaceX, which is probably good tbh. 

Mars by the 2030's is just silly, mind.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    When do I get my moon city?
  • Woah im way behind. Ill look into all this later, so Gateway is some staging post( space station) for the moon?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Woah im way behind. Ill look into all this later, so Gateway is some staging post( space station) for the moon?

Yeah basically. Similar to the ISS, it's modular, and will be expanded over time.
  • Somebody (*cough Dante *cough) should start an Artemis thread!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Woah im way behind. Ill look into all this later, so Gateway is some staging post( space station) for the moon?

So am I.  Yeah Gateway is a permanent orbital staging post for onward missions and also for moon based projects. Kind of like ISS on steroids and orbiting the moon.

I reckoned gateway orbital insertion would be a separate mission. Just it isn't an Artemis one.

Starship having a lunar lander version is what I had missed on.

Exciting times.
  • TBF Davy, that Starship news was only recently confirmed. Blue Origin and someone else were also competing for it, but their designs both left parts behind on the Moon.
  • Will never not think Blue Waffle. (davy dont google that)

Anyway this is all very exciting. I'm glad America has got serious about space stuff again it is an area that they should be proud of.
    The ISIS is coming to the end of its life, in fact I think it is overdue being replaced so this is all good news.

Ive been watching from Earth to the Moon recently, Tom Hanks presented docu-drama I suppose but more drama than docu on the gap between Russia getting a man into space and the U.S getting a man on the moon. Mostly pretty good, not sure why I'd never heard of it.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    ‘Starships were meant to fly’

aHRF0Sj.gif

Jeff Tracy would be proud.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    TBF Davy, that Starship news was only recently confirmed. Blue Origin and someone else were also competing for it, but their designs both left parts behind on the Moon.

I really haven't been keeping up though. I had no idea plans were so advanced.  That 2nd mission - the manned lunar orbit and return is a redux of the 1968 Apollo 8 mission which gave us the Earthrise photo / Jim Lovell (Apollo 13) reading Genesis on Christmas Eve etc. I actually think it's my favourite Apollo mission.
  • I believe they are planning to do a live stream for the Earthrise, which will be fucking incredible.
  • So Space Engine is on steam. 

I believe you can get older versions for free from their website, but I just dabbled in the paid version as it was on special. Solid sized download to get all the planets in our solar system, but damn, just had a look around at the base version and it looks rather spiffy.

I assume it's old news in here. Still 1:1 scale galaxy is pretty neat.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    ‘Starships were meant to fly’ aHRF0Sj.gif Jeff Tracy would be proud.

It will take some balls to be the first to be sitting on top of that fecking thing.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Any rocket for that matter!

Must be the automation making the movement appear like CGI.

LNsnHZB.gif
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!