Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've not been in here for what feels like an age. Nice to see people smashing it.

Anybody interested in reading a second draft of a short story I've done that still needs a fair whallop of editing? Happy to email it over if so, ive sent it to Moot so far so no worries if not. My missus aint exactly the target audience.

I’d love to read it.

Youre a beautiful man, uncle. PM me your email if youre fine with it and ill ping it over, its about 2200 words so ballache pasting on here.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Count me in, Mr Soldier.  PM sent.
    Get schwifty.
  • I'd like a peep at that too DS.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Beautiful men one and all.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'll read it!

PM me your email mate and I'll send it on its way :)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Have read your story, DS.  Out for the day now, so don’t have time to compose my thoughts at the moment.  But when I do, do you want feedback here or via pm?
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Have read your story, DS.  Out for the day now, so don’t have time to compose my thoughts at the moment.  But when I do, do you want feedback here or via pm?

PM is fine mate, very much appreciated thank you.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Apex is doing a horror holiday comp, max 250 words.

Submitted this today:
    Spoiler:
  • Good stuff, DS! Sorry I didn't get to your other story. Life is a killer at the moment.
  • I've never tried to write flash. Might have a crack at that competition too!
  • Apex is doing a horror holiday comp, max 250 words.

Submitted this today:
    Spoiler:

Having read the three previous winning entries, yours wouldn’t seem out of place amongst them. Great effort DS.
  • Really liked that DS. You got a lot out of few words.
    Did you still want someone to read your other thing? I'm happy to have a look but not sure if I'll have any useful input.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers lads!

Shabby - its good, ive put it on the backburner for the moment as starting writing The Incubator, which has been swimming in my head for ages.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Good stuff, DS!

I thought I'd give this a quick go this afternoon.  Goddamn it is not easy.  Two hundred and fifty words is nothing.  Here it is anyway, and just a quick and dirty first draft effort.

My name is Constance Fairweather.  I am twenty-two years old, I live up there in the manor on the hill, and I am half of one.  I have always been half of one, being the secondborn.  The other half of me, firstborn and fully fifty-seven minutes older than me, is my brother Deliverance.
         He's walking up ahead of me now; marching through the bristling heather with his usual determination.  He has the swagger that I have never had.  He is loud where I am quiet.  He is impulsive while I am cautious.  We fit together well, I think; each half filling out the deficiencies in the other half.  I cannot imagine a life without him.  What would I be but just the parts of him that are not there?
         Deliverance is tugging a girl behind him down the slope.  He isn't gentle with her, but she laughs like it's a game.  She calls his name between convulsive giggles and implores him to slow down.  He doesn't slow down.  He doesn't look back.  I wander along behind them both.
         By the time we reach the desiccated cherry tree the sun is down behind the hills above us.  It's cold.  The girl's not laughing now.  He presses her against the slender bole.  She looks afraid.  He is ravenous.
         She screams when he opens her stomach with a paring knife, but there's no one here to hear her.
         I wonder why I do the things I do?
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I like that. Which holiday is it about?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Haha!  I didn’t even go onto the site to check the rules, not that I was really intending to submit it anyway.  Just wanted to try the challenge of doing something super short.  It’s not my forte.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Haha fair enough, thought you were going for a submission :D
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good efforts at those micro-stories. An interesting challenge.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Probably not of huge interest to folks here but just in case: I did an interview with the creators of Lancer, the very cool mech TTRPG, and it went up on Dicebreaker. Sadly it was far too long, but I worked out an agreement with them to post the rest of the transcript later. So after a lot
    of editing and tidying, here’s 10,000 more words on it: https://t.co/4sQItChGpm
  • I started a short for the horror thing but didn't finish it. Basically taking my boy's imaginary friend (Biddi) and making him scary. With, like, an egg shaped head and thinning hair and oily eyes and argh it was going to be horrible. Only I didn't finish writing it.

I did just finish a different short, if anyone cares to read.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F_pWT7qOOu-7zmFin0mxBu2Sjm7rhaCD-dGm3V0gvKI/edit?usp=sharing
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I read that in exotic Ray Winstonese.  Thumbs up, tiger.
    Get schwifty.
  • Thanks for taking the time to read it!

Did...
    Spoiler:

Were there any weird inconsistencies you noticed? The story changed a lot through the writing and it can be really hard to find these things sometimes...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It was all good really, tiger.  Don’t think I had any structural issues with it.  Only thing I would suggest is giving the prose a once over to correct minor issues.  For instance: third paragraph, first line has a ‘weren’t’ where there should be a ‘wasn’t’.  I also thought a word or two here and there just stood out as sounding not quite right coming from this particular character.  But really these are minor quibbles and there’s little else for me to say other than well done.  I hope you have some luck with it.
    Get schwifty.
  • Thanks. The 'weren't' is supposed to be colloquial but perhaps it doesn't work.

:)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I did wonder.  Personally I’d change it unless you’re going to include that sort of thing elsewhere in the story, otherwise it just looks like a mistake by the author.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Because I can’t see my nephews this Christmas I’m trying to make up for it by writing each of them letters from Santa Claus.  It is not easy keeping them short.
    Get schwifty.
  • I had two decent things published.

First was a very wanky bit on MO: Astray, which I stick by! It's a lovely underdog.

Second is a more grounded but sadly short piece on how city builders handle (or don't handle) narrative elements. I especially like this one.
  • The cities one in particular is brilliant. Well done, would read more.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!