The B&B Writers Thread
  • https://werenotwizards.co.uk/wp/2022/08/wee-toons-tiny-towns-board-game-review-alderac-entertainment-group/

Wee bit of fun in the old writing. Channelling a bit of Our Wullie for shits and giggles.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Thanks for the sensible response tin.

Basically, the question is, is the wording a bit old fashioned/stuffy in places, and would that matter for modern kids? Would you replace for example "innkeeper"? Or is it fine as it is?

We took turns reading these a couple of nights ago. Tilly wants to give her thoughts in the form of voice messages. Have you got Whatsapp?
  • I do, I'll pm you my number
  • Thanks for the sensible response tin. Basically, the question is, is the wording a bit old fashioned/stuffy in places, and would that matter for modern kids? Would you replace for example "innkeeper"? Or is it fine as it is?

(Back from holiday)

I think "innkeeper" is fine. You could switch out for "landlord", but most kids won't know what that is either. In my experience kids are less worried about the language - lots of words are new to them - and are more interested in the story.

It's the parents you need to worry about, and again it's not so much where words seem old fashioned, but where modern sensibilities may have eclipsed them. So whilst "innkeeper" isn't an issue, I guess "filthy stranger" may just trigger a few sniggers from the Finbarr Saunders crowd (though I'm not sure what you'd change it to without the same problem - "dirty man" is worse! You'd probably have to go with something generic like "The Unwelcome Visitor".)

Tilly's take is definitely worth having - predicting what will throw children is notoriously tricky.  (I once wrote a story for a child who loved everything weird, but was really put off by one character possessing a beard.)
  • You'll have to take Tilly's opinion with a pinch of salt as her review turned into a puff piece.  10/10 for the lot.  The horse/accidental rabbit genocide/returned favour story was my favourite, partly because it was so odd and partly because the nightmarish illustrations had her in stitches.
  • Finally getting a little rhythm on The Book. Probably going to have it ready for beta readers in a couple of months. Excite!

Also, my last story is being reprinted in an anthology alongside some very successful writers including, um, G.R.R. Martin. So that's a win and a half. GO ME.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    !
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Finally getting a little rhythm on The Book. Probably going to have it ready for beta readers in a couple of months. Excite! Also, my last story is being reprinted in an anthology alongside some very successful writers including, um, G.R.R. Martin. So that's a win and a half. GO ME.

Wooo!

If you want someone to read the beta version (probably very slowly) feel free to send it my way.

Meanwhile I'm 3/4 of the way through the play I promised to write for a friend.  It will be seen by about 5 people I suspect, but I'm enjoying working through it...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Mr Tiger is the book fantasy or one of your very good horrors because I would read the latter and only the former if there is a number of Dwarven sex scenes
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Great news Tiger. I’d be up for reading a beta version too.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Grats, Tiger!
    Get schwifty.
  • Thanks all!

I may take some you up in beta reading when all is said and done...

DS: Fantasy, I'm afraid. No elves or anything too Classic but lots of daemons. A bit YA though so likely not your thing. I promise I'll finish my horror short about Biddi and his oily eyes for you soon...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Top man. I still love that short I read of yours a while back about the doorstep.
  • Doorstep? Are you sure that was me?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The thing with the cat thing I may be misremembering in my old age but either way you're beautiful
  • A couple of months ago the local AmDram group asked me if I could write them something to commemorate the coronation.  So I wrote them a couple of short plays (20 minutes each - they're stand alone, but also work better as a two act 40 minute thing). They performed them over the weekend having persuaded me to direct them as well.

I have learnt that I'm not a particularly great director, but it went pretty well. (I was fine at "can you try playing it like this - but shit at answering things like "so what colour do you want this backdrop then?") Clearly not even close to the films and TV that some of you have penned, but it was nice enough. They went for a weird structure - running my play, then someone else's, then the second of mine after that.  The other play was by a proper playwright so it's vaguely satisfying that mine stood up. More so that a few people came back the second night because they'd enjoyed the first one so much.

Anyway, in the very unlikely event that anyone wants two short, very vaguely coronation related plays to put on let me know and you're welcome to borrow them...

(In the meantime they've asked me if I fancy writing them a musical.)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's really rather wonderful  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!