Holidays
  • Skondo wrote:
    Truncated break in London this weekend. Originally supposed to be three nights, but changed to one night at the last minute. Masters tennis and dinner at the Royal Albert Hall on Friday, then British Museum and afternoon tea at the Ritz on Saturday. Mrs Skondo has wanted to do the latter for a while now and I have to say it was excellent.

All men are cunts though. The only people on the tube who gave up their seats to my heavily pregnant wife were women.

Why the fuck should I give up my seat cos your wife got pregnant. The world is overpopulated as it is. Those men are heroes.
  • ....because it's polite. We find it a bit of shock when we go to London as it's populated almost entirely by arseholes.
  • London cunts. I fucking hate the place but love it at the same time. I think I'd like it more if I didn't have to go there all the fucking time.

I'm in Lanzarote at the moment. It's nice.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Am in Florence at the moment, B is busy with some work thing for Tommy Hilfiger and I wanted to visit some musea tomorrow when he still might be busy. Turns out most of them are closed on a Monday. Anyone been here before and has any ideas? Best bet seems to be to just wander around and look at the pretty towers from Assassin's Creed.
  • Me and missus thinking of going to Maldives for 5-7 nights with a possible 1-2 stop over in dubai. Anyone been to Maldives? Are there additional island taxes you have to pay above and beyond what you pay if you go with a package holiday I.e. With a tour operator example Travelbag? I know the transfer to the island of choice can be expensive depending on its distance to the mainland.
  • Nina wrote:
    Am in Florence at the moment, B is busy with some work thing for Tommy Hilfiger and I wanted to visit some musea tomorrow when he still might be busy. Turns out most of them are closed on a Monday. Anyone been here before and has any ideas? Best bet seems to be to just wander around and look at the pretty towers from Assassin's Creed.

Climbing the dumino (I think that's the towers name) is cool as the view at the top is amazing. Florence is a very small town. The tuscany countryside is amazing but you need a car or bike to go see it.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187895-Activities-Florence_Tuscany.html

Lots on here which are free
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Missed Nina's post.  

My top tip would be just the other side of the ponte vecchio - Giardino di Boboli (great view of the City rooptops, including catherdral etc., if you get to its cafe).  Ufizi & cathedrals etc. obviously nice, but not sure how busy they'd be this time of year - probably OK, actually, in which case there's lots of good shizzle!

(And btw duomo is cathdral, campanile is the bell tower next door.)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    ....because it's polite. We find it a bit of shock when we go to London as it's populated almost entirely by arseholes.

Don't worry about gonzo, he's only pulling your leg. He's a gent really. First time I met him he gave all the money in his wallet to a poor Romanian gypsy woman.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks for the replies. We got here by car, so the plan is to take that to Pisa and La Spezia later in the week, same goes for visiting the cathedral etc. Found a pass that gives you access to the dome, cathedral, bell tower, baptistery and crypt, so I'll do that together with B.

Will take a walk towards the gardens this afternoon and have a look. To get to the café you need to pay the entrance fee right? I'll let the level of coldness decide if I'm in need of warmth by that point, it's still cold but should start to get sunnier. Uffizi is closed today, so can't hide from the cold there.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah think there may be an entrance fee. Can't remember price / available discounts.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Me and missus thinking of going to Maldives for 5-7 nights with a possible 1-2 stop over in dubai. Anyone been to Maldives? Are there additional island taxes you have to pay above and beyond what you pay if you go with a package holiday I.e. With a tour operator example Travelbag? I know the transfer to the island of choice can be expensive depending on its distance to the mainland.

The only tax I'm aware of is a tourist tax for all purchases on an island. But that should be included in the item price. I went with a tourist package and dont think paid anything extra when on the island.

By the way. A holiday in Maldives is expensive. But you already knew that.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Florence is fantastic but Pisa is basically a ghost town, apart from in a direct line from the station to the tower.  Pretty sad.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Me and missus thinking of going to Maldives for 5-7 nights with a possible 1-2 stop over in dubai. Anyone been to Maldives? Are there additional island taxes you have to pay above and beyond what you pay if you go with a package holiday I.e. With a tour operator example Travelbag? I know the transfer to the island of choice can be expensive depending on its distance to the mainland.

The only tax I'm aware of is a tourist tax for all purchases on an island. But that should be included in the item price. I went with a tourist package and dont think paid anything extra when on the island.

By the way. A holiday in Maldives is expensive. But you already knew that.

Cheers dude. Yep it's expensive, but the missus wants to go.....

• Fancy a Scandi break at the start of Feb. Trying to decide between Copenhagen and Oslo, as the two cheapest-to-get-to places. Any advice or experience of either appreciated, yo.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'd choose Copenhagen it sounds like you're thinking of a long weekend, and it has everything a typical Scandi city should have

If it's any longer than that and you want some actual outdoorsy scenery then Oslo and get out onto the fjords do some camping as well, but otherwise Copenhagen has decent parks, architecture, expensive beer, gorgeous women and purely functional food, which is what you want. In my limited experience I found the Danes to be slightly less xenophobic than the Norwegians, but as these are both decent sized cities you should have no problem speaking English
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Off to Berlin at the start of next month for a few days with the lady, with a quick jaunt to Hamburg for the footy thrown in too. Good eats in both cities please! Cheers if anyone can help.

Can't wait to get back to The Bird in the north part of the city. Best burger I've ever had.
  • Kreuzburger on Oranienstrasse might give it a run for its money. Pure delight.
  • Fuck to all holidays
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Kreuzburger on Oranienstrasse might give it a run for its money. Pure delight.

A CHAIN?! How dare thee!
  • Anyone ever been to Cape Verde? Specifically islands of Boa Vista and Sal?
  • Off to New York for five days in a few weeks. Any tips? Places to go? We have the main attractions sorted but open to any suggestions from people who have been before.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • From about here onwards documents my time in NY last summer (bear in mind I leave NY for Houston, then return to NY again after that later in the thread) which might give you some ideas. I think a few people here posted suggestions for me in that thread.
    Take comfortable shoes for wandering about in. Manhattan is deceptively massive, and it's a fair old hoof round it. After you've hoofed round it for the sights once, the subway is your friend.
    I enjoyed just wandering about tbh. Everywhere you go there is great food and drink, so even if people say you must go here, it doesn't matter that much because there's so much choice everywhere.
    Uber is great for getting in and out of the city at off peak times, but do not use it in rush hour traffic unless you want a huge bill. Trains in and out of the city are also a piece of piss to use and if you get lost/stumped, just ask someone because the Yanks are a friendly bunch and happy to help.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah, we got a subway pass, 30$ and unlimited use for 7 days (I think, we were there 5 days and it was still cheap). Got us all the way to Brighton Beach, there's an old funfair and you can get good hotdogs there (that's what I've heard, didn't try them). That's a distance you don't walk. New York was more about just taking it all in than visiting specific places. We did a ride in the watertaxi, but after the sun set, so you get the skyline with all the lights on, found that quite charming myself. Must add that it was 9/11 so the two beams that lit up the sky where the Twin Towers used to be were on, not sure if that's the whole year round. 

And I'm back from Italy. We were both quite happy Saturday morning, as we had hardly had any unforseen costs, which is rare for us. So we went back in Switzerland, not taking the highway but some bigger roads. At least, that's what we thought. Car still had summer tyres on there, so didn't take the first hilly bit after we had coffee. Kept losing grip. Back to the border, go west in Italy and try again in another place. Crossed the border again to Switzerland, roads getting snowier, I don't trust it and check the map, wrong direction, we're just before a pass with a hair pin road that's fairly steep. B wants to return, but at that point it starts snowing. Decided to call breakdown service, they'd send someone. After an hour he shows up with snow chains, only 200 euros. Great. He also advised against going back and continuing, taking two passes before being on the highway again. Never been so scared in my life, at one point it was just hairpins and snow, everywhere you looked was white. We already managed to turn 180 from the road onto a gas station before (managed to avoid everything), so I wasn't feeling very confident we were doing the right thing. A snowy highway,  an expensive burger king meal and a way to expensive hotel room in Germany. That's how Saturday ended. Sunday the roads were cleared and we could luckily continue at a normal pace. When we saw my mom she told us you're not allowed on German highways with summer tyres in winter, so we were lucky no accidents happened, that would have gotten really expensive. 

Anyway, we're home again and have some nice snow chains as a souvenir.
  • That sounds amazing Nina.
  • We've all just come back from New York.  We had a great time just wandering about tbh.  I'd really just confirm what g has said above.  Embrace the subway and it's 7 day pass but try and walk a lot too.  Much like London it's great to zip around underground but you miss a lot of things by doing this.

The best touristy thing you can do is head up to the top of the Rockefeller- get the right day and the views and air quality are ace.
    Times Square is a shit hole but has the flashy lights.
    If you have enough days it's quite nice to get a train from Grand Central (which is also jaw dropping) and head somewhere up-state just to have a gander at smaller town east coast life.
    With all city breaks I try not to impose an itinerary on myself and just embrace the flow of wherever it is - I'd recommend this attitude.  You feel more at home and less stressed.
    Brooklyn Bridge is brilliant too.
    If you're looking to eat somewhere I'd also recommend finding one of the corner shop come buffet bars. It's kinda like eating in a Spar but with absolutely fantastic Buffett food - from traditional American food to awesome Chinese.  It's ace but a bit flight of the conchords.
    Dunno if you heard about this called brexit or not it's also no longer cheap.  Once the sales tax is added on and then the tips it's probably at the very best, in line with here.  Last time I went I felt pretty rich this time I was paying £3 quid for a pretzel off a street vendor.
    Don't have a pretzel from a street vendor - the salt on there will take a man down inside 20 seconds.
  • Nina any pics of the hairpins and snow. Sounds crazy, but it sounds like an awesome drive!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    You can see a bit of the way we came down there:
    ljSbbDT.jpg

That's where we had to go, somewhere up there between the trees:
    VyHk7Xc.jpg

The sticks that stick out in a few places mark the road we took:
    icueFpZ.jpg

Guessing how wide the road actually is:
    pSsTscu.jpg

But there was a pretty lake at the end, after this little villages started to appear, gave you the feeling that when something went wrong, there would be a warm place nearby to stay:
    bbM6ZlD.jpg

In the area of the first two pics (road to the Maloja pass, taken from the south west) were loads of people stopping, putting snow chains on, we had an Audi in front of us that left some nice wavy tracks in the snow, and local busses just went up and down like nothing was really happening. Pretty sure if I ever might end up driving somewhere were there's snow, I'll change tyres before. This isn't the first time, previous time was in the USA and we weren't sure what tyres where on the car, the ranger said we could go up, but once the snow on the road was a couple of inches thick and no one around, we decided to turn.
  • Awesome.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!