Holidays
  • Best cheap food is all in the back of NYS version of corner shops.  Basically the fronts look like any normal corner shop selling sweets and fags and bits and bats and then the backs open out into kinda super buffets with a mix of American faves and really really really good Korean and Chinese stuff.  They’re amazing.

Broadway shows are pretty much just like the stuff in the west end - not for me in the slightest - and they’re very mainstream.  

Walk wherever you can in Manhattan - failing that take the metro.  Gives you a real feel for the place.  

I’ll second Nina rec’s of the Brooklyn Bridge, highine (beautiful gardens on disused rail Tracks), and the Rockefeller.  Yes, the last one is touristy but if you’ve never been before then surely you’d be some kind of mad fool not to go up a massively tall tower.  It’s really awe-inspiring.

The old trade centre area is pretty interesting too. If only to see what it’s become from dust and detritus and pain and sorry.  Still feels a little eerie tbh.

MoMa has genuinely stunning, jaw dropping art.  To be able to see the most famous of modern art in the flesh is kinda priceless.

Nintendo store doesn’t really have much in it but you know if you’re going up the Rockefeller then it’s in the complex so why not.  Times Square is best viewed from 4 or 5 blocks north and then avoided - srsly it’s a bit grim up close but so so shiny from a distance.

Take a morning walk around Greenwich and soho. Calmer and slightly more interesting buildings.

Brooklyn is cool but rapidly becoming gentrified.  So think commercially motivated arthpuse rather than actual down n dirty cool anymore.

The library is ace + ghostbusters.
    Natural history museum is cool too.

Harlem is great too but can get dicey, quickly and randomly.  I spent a day and a night there drinking with a big old dude just out of prison.  He’d lost all his fingers bar one whilst he was inside. We met his friends who showed me a boot full of machine guns and wanted to know how much I’d charge to get them down town for him. I declined and no fingered dude got in a fist fight protecting me.  I ke-t my wife and family away from there when we went last year.

Oh there’s so much to say...

Doesn’t really matter where you stay - I was in a fancy boutique hotel the last time.  It was lovely but didn’t really change my enjoyment of the whole thing.

It is no longer cheap when you get there. Manhattan is now slightly more expensive than England for doing stuff like eating, drinking and shopping.

You may develop vertigo from all the fucking lifts, escalators and stairs.
  • Sorry about all the typos.  On my phone and in a rush to boot.

Enjoy.
  • Oooo.   Dive bars in the meat packing district and a bit beyond.  Great fun.
  • @kazuo, forgot to mention the rather fantastic Halal Guys for amazing kebab/chicken.
  • Oooo.   Dive bars in the meat packing district and a bit beyond.  Great fun.
    New York absolutely has the best dive bars.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Good stories there Uncle!
    Walk wherever you can in Manhattan - failing that take the metro.  Gives you a real feel for the place.
    This is the best thing you can do though, not matter what you'll do it'll be amazing, it's NY after all and there's so much to take in. Just linking street names to their European inspirations is a fun thing do to (NL has a Brooklyn Bridge too, it's called Breukelen but the same origin).

We tried to optimize walking / metro ratio by picking either a spot we wanted to visit far away, get their by metro and slowly made our way back, or walk to the far away spot during the day and take the metro back to the hotel at the end of the day.
  • Excellent help folks, thank you. My girlfriend is far more impressed by the responses here than the meagre feedback she got from friends on Facebook. We’ll have a look again at flights today. If anyone can proffer any similar advice for Toronto (which is likely to be part of the same trip) then I’d be mad grateful.
  • I love New York too. So good. Don't really think I can add much to that stuff apart from also shouting Joe's Pizza. My word!!!
    And dive bars, yes.

Last time I went we stayed in Airbnb's and that was fun. Especially as one had stairs to the roof so you could go up there and have a drink and feel like you were going to fall into the apartment beneath.

I went to Toronto too but didn't spend enough time there to give you tips. I'd recommend a baseball game though in either city of there's one on. Yankee stadium is fantastic and the New Yorkers are very vocal fans which makes it fun.
  • So for me, I land in Osaka on the 9th of March and fly out of Tokyo on the 30th of April. I'll be traveling with a box and in the box will be my bike.
    We'll see how we go!

Will need all those food recs for Tokyo at the end tah reg :)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ugh, I'm not jealous at all... Almost two months of cycling around? Gonna do this on your own?
  • Yeah should be good I think. Not planning on taking any cooking stuff because I just want to eat all the local food!

And yeah at this stage on my own. Plan is to ride down to this place: https://kotaku.com/visit-the-real-princess-mononoke-forest-1282488846
    Because it has a few nice hikes and the forest looks stunning.
    Then I'll see how I go time wise and maybe ride to Hiroshima and beyond depending on time.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Wow, that's gonna be great @Shabby! Wish I could join but I have no money and not the right bike. Take some good pictures.
  • Yeah, I’ve been to Yakushima, very nice. Things get a fair bit more basic (in a good way) once you get that far away.
  • Oh cool! Yeah basic sounds good. Any recommendations for local food to try or other sights to see?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Miyajima is pretty cool. Nara has some sights. Two months sounds amazing, last time I had two months off was over 15 years ago :-(
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Excellent help folks, thank you. My girlfriend is far more impressed by the responses here than the meagre feedback she got from friends on Facebook. We’ll have a look again at flights today. If anyone can proffer any similar advice for Toronto (which is likely to be part of the same trip) then I’d be mad grateful.

Toronto is an awesome city. I spent a few days there last year.

The Beaches is exactly what is sounds like - a seaside style section of the city for sunbathing, the boardwalk etc. It's about an hour from downtown but if you fancy a bit of that type of thing it's lovely. Nice little cafe's etc.

Harbourfront has the CN Tower (we didn't go up but you should go check it out), Ripley's Aquarium (which is a pretty sweet aquarium, but not sure it deserves the #1 ranking on tripadvisor.) and the Stadium.

Toronto Island is worth a visit for sure, with some lovely scenery and cafe's, beach spots, gardens etc. You can hire bikes too.  If you're up for it you can kayak across from the mainland! Very beautiful place and offers a great view back to the city.

I'd recommend St Lawrence Market for getting cool food bits/souvenirs/random stuff. It's not the best/biggest market evs but still a cool spot to visit and a Toronto mainstay.

Entertainment District has some amazing food places and you have to check it out. Specifically Queen St West, Richmond St West, King St West and Adelaide St West. Amazing Thai place called Pad Northern Thai Kitchen is a must visit - queues out the door some times but well worth the wait.

I'd say to try and stay near the Entertainment District as there is lots to see/walk to around there for food and drink, and good transport to other areas. We got an air B&B apartment there and it worked great. You can walk to Chinatown if you're a Chinese food/culture lover (full on, massive Chinatown).

CF Toronto Eaton Centre is a massive shopping mall if you fancy that... But there is a great restaurant next door called JOEY (JOEY Eaton Centre I think is full name) which was lovely. They looked after us really well, and the food was wonderful with a varied menu.

Niagra Falls is actually only an hour or so away via bus if you fancy a day trip!

Hope that's enough dude, feel free to message if you want anything else!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Oh cool! Yeah basic sounds good. Any recommendations for local food to try or other sights to see?

The flying fish soup was interesting, they have the cook-your-own meat places on the main high street. We only stayed in the one place but it was very traditional, scary breakfasts if you’re not used to natto etc. In fact they had a drawing on the wall done by one of the ghibli guys when they were there, that was cool. It’s just a fun trip, the ferry’s great, scenery outstanding etc.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Miyajima is pretty cool. Nara has some sights. Two months sounds amazing, last time I had two months off was over 15 years ago :-(

I got lucky really. Just asked for as much as they'd be willing to give me and they gave me 2 months! The trade off being I had asked for that leave over 18 months ago ( we have to book ridiculously in advance) and the only reason I had excess leave was because I broke my collarbone the other year so got a bunch of holiday leave back as sick leave.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Oh cool! Yeah basic sounds good. Any recommendations for local food to try or other sights to see?

Got time to go to Kyoto?

Expecially if you've got a bike with you. Amazing experience.

Anyway... Anyone here been to Yellowstone? Thinking about either March or April...
    What's the best way to go about it?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd second the Rockerfeller Centre. Yes - it's touristy but it means it's set up for visitors. It's a splendid experience.  Better than Empire State because you get see Empire State from your vantage point which is pretty to look at from a distance.

We used the bus tour for hop on hop off which is a good way to just chill out and look around. The underground is more efficient at getting around if you have somewhere in mind to go.

If you want a great sandwich go to Katz's - again touristy but the grub is epic.

And if you get the chance to walk through Bryant Park do it - it's a little block of heaven - looks like the park scene in Mary Poppins. Gorgeous little square of green with elegant furniture and chess boards etc. Close to Empire State Building if I remember right.

The Staten Island ferry is free - just to say you have been on it. There's a little path to walk around on the Island to pass time before the ferry returns but it isn't long to wait. We got on it by mistake believing we were heading for Liberty Island.  Re Liberty Island - you will need to book to get inside the statue - we didn't but the Island is a pleasant enough walk without doing that.

When I was there the WTC site was still being worked on but I was impressed how understated the memorial was. Worth a visit. There is little church just close by that has a piece of tree that landed in its grounds when the towers came down - otherwise unscathed. Good for a visit as it has exhibition of how it was used as a relief centre.

St. Patrick's Cathedral is beautiful inside if you like gawping at church interiors. Its in the financial district too if I remember right.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The 9/11 memorial museum thing is very sobering but also very good. Not an overly fun day out but I can recommend it. If anything it's worth going down there as they've made it a beautiful space and the fountains were the buildings used to be are very nice. There's also a cool art building thing that I think is.meant to cast a specific shadow at the time that it happened or something.

And also, calling all Regs re: Japan.

And yeah maybe Kyoto dyno, been there once before though and may not be riding that way.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It's such a beautiful city.
    I'd go back for the Fox temple alone.

What is your plan, anyways?

Getting a gaijin rail ticket, shurely?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oho shabby. Just seen all this. Will put together a mega list for you but basically bear in mind -

You probably won't get a bad meal
    I've been three times now and still have a hit list as long as my arm
  • Thanks reg!
    I figure the food will be good but wouldn't mind some special places to go to as well.

And dyno, the gaijin rail like the euro rail pass? Lets you go wherever over a certain period? I'm hoping to not train too much apart from getting to Tokyo at the end so probably not. Otherwise I'll be riding and eating my way via wherever seems good. No real plan apart from a couple of places I wouldn't mind seeing. I'll be stopping wherever I feel like it pretty much.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:
    Excellent help folks, thank you. My girlfriend is far more impressed by the responses here than the meagre feedback she got from friends on Facebook. We’ll have a look again at flights today. If anyone can proffer any similar advice for Toronto (which is likely to be part of the same trip) then I’d be mad grateful.

I’ll be doing the same trip around the end of April, I’ll report back when I’ve got stuff to report.
  • Thanks reg! I figure the food will be good but wouldn't mind some special places to go to as well. And dyno, the gaijin rail like the euro rail pass? Lets you go wherever over a certain period? I'm hoping to not train too much apart from getting to Tokyo at the end so probably not. Otherwise I'll be riding and eating my way via wherever seems good. No real plan apart from a couple of places I wouldn't mind seeing. I'll be stopping wherever I feel like it pretty much.

It takes about one Shinkansen return to make getting the JR pass worthwhile and the convenience and extra flexibility it opens up is amazing.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    ^ This. But if he's out there for a couple of months then it's probably not worth it. Though if he can book one early, to coincide with his last two weeks, then that would make for one awesome fucking final fortnight.

While I'm here, anyone been to Mexico?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sure have. Where you going?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As an aside in just under 3 weeks I will be off to Salt Lake for 15 year High school reunion. Doing a lot of catching up with pals, a lot of drinking and eating and some road tripping too. I have a real penchant for buffalo wings at the moment and I hear Wingers is one of the best in the whole USA

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!