Holidays
  • First time I checked this thread since 2012. Just got back from Cornwall.

Next year really want to go abroad and surprise other half by going to Shipwreck Island in Navaigo.

Anybody been? Any recommendations?

I haven't been abroad in 10 years and am at a bit of a loss. Am I best to organise some sort of package holiday with plane tickets etc or sort it out myself?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Just turn up at the airport and demand a holiday.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • We arrived at Crieff Hydro a few hours ago for a couple of nights. Absolutely superb facilities for those with kids, and crucially plenty of places to enjoy beer in the sun while they're distracted.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Some kind of dam?
  • We use that to separate the kids and adults.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ok so next week we are off to japan rome for two weeks. I'm not going to lie as flora knows , but I need a reason that we sent going to Japan. Please give me something. I am utterly king cunta histor my so there's s lot I'm in for but so extra I'd really appreciated
  • Unlikely wrote:
    We arrived at Crieff Hydro a few hours ago for a couple of nights. Absolutely superb facilities for those with kids, and crucially plenty of places to enjoy beer in the sun while they're distracted.

Yes. Crieff Hydro is fucking boss. Hopefully they’ve fixed all of the fucked consoles since I was last there.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Have you been to Rome before? If not that's as good a reason as any.

It's cheaper (I'm guessing)

Italian food and wine is great.

Gelato

Coffee

Art

• Gremill wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    We arrived at Crieff Hydro a few hours ago for a couple of nights. Absolutely superb facilities for those with kids, and crucially plenty of places to enjoy beer in the sun while they're distracted.

Yes. Crieff Hydro is fucking boss. Hopefully they’ve fixed all of the fucked consoles since I was last there.

Unattended Bone and PS4 when I walked past the games room earlier. Taking E to the soft play...
  • Still, my wife has now taken her to see the rabbits and I am baking in the sun with another pint. We've also gone for one of the executive apartments rather than the hotel this time. Quite impressed given the deal we got.
  • three1ne wrote:
    First time I checked this thread since 2012. Just got back from Cornwall.

Next year really want to go abroad and surprise other half by going to Shipwreck Island in Navaigo.

Anybody been? Any recommendations?

I haven't been abroad in 10 years and am at a bit of a loss. Am I best to organise some sort of package holiday with plane tickets etc or sort it out myself?

If there is a decent agent where you live then it's good to talk it over with them, then go home and google/trip advisor it and see if you can beat any prices they give you.

We have Trailfinders here in Bristol which are good at helping you plan, giving you ideas and helping you tie it together
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Cheers, MattyJ
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Because I'm a shit lord and can't be happy I'm trying to make myself positive about Rome rather than Japan. I'm aware I'm an entitled asshole.

Anyway, we are going to restorante Marco Martini which is a Michelin starred joint. Here he is criticising carbonara

https://youtu.be/bnZ_70XyVAk
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I'm aware I'm an entitled asshole.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Again, the walk up to here is amazing...

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-aventine-keyhole-rome

Across from the Circo Maximo... The world oldest and largest doggy toilet.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is the content I needed
  • More ideas:

1. Visit the Romeow vegan cat cafe.
    2. House of the Owls
    3. Crypts / Catacombs
    4. Quartiere Coppedè
    5. Go and see the 22 Papal hearts
    6. Ospedale delle Bambole Aka The Creepy Fucking Doll Hospital
    7. The National Pasta Mueseum
    8. The Fascist Film studio Cinecittà
    9. Campo de Fiori market
    10. The Keats-Shelley memorial house
    11. La Resurrezione

I can’t vouch for all of these - I know some people who have visited and enjoyed some. But they’re all off the beaten path, apparently, and a bit different from the usual. Have a gander and see if anything here takes your fancy.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Get a private (a one on one guide, not the Vatican to yourself) tour of the Vatican. Even if you don't have a religious bone in your body it's an incredible place dripping with art and history. It's a fascinating place.
  • Reg is a catholic from the west of Scotland, of course he doesn’t have a religious bone in his body.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Reg is a catholic from the west of Scotland, of course he doesn’t have a religious bone in his body.

That’s just...perfect.
  • Right, so we will be in Jakarta on our wedding anniversary. Not the way we had planned, but we didn’t have much choice around holiday dates due to work and other (family) commitments.

Anyone know a really nice (don’t care if a bit expensive) restaurant we can go to where we can also take kids?

We will be staying quite central. Hotel Kempinsk, not far from the square and memorial ex.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thank you everyone for good options. Really appreciated
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Reg is a catholic from the west of Scotland, of course he doesn’t have a religious bone in his body.

Never. A. One.
  • Amsterdam recommendations, non touristy (we've been there plenty before) - any suggestions?

We're staying fairly central-ish but don't mind a wander.

Same question for Bruges, although I've never been, she has.

Thanks B&B!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Some random things for Amsterdam, not sure what kinda stuff you're looking for?

There's Radion Amsterdam, it's close to where I lived. Area ain't much but if you rent a bike it doesn't take a long time to get there. It's a nice restaurant, kinda artsy as the building connected to it houses a lot of (starting) artists. They have a good selection of beer, food is good and atmosphere always nice. There's a club as well, but not sure if there's anything going on.
    Louwesweg 1, 1066 EA Amsterdam

Pllek. It's in the other side of the Ij. Which was the place to be 2 years ago and apparently I went there.
    T.T. Neveritaweg 59, 1033 WB Amsterdam

Café de Ceuvel. This one I really like, it's a bit vegan oriented but there's still good food to have. Lot of woodwork going on, has this hippy vibe. If the weather is OK no one will mind you if you jump in the water.
    Korte Papaverweg 4, 1032 KB Amsterdam

The whole NDSM werf area was a hip place to be, often there was music going on, the IJ hallen had a big flea market, not sure if that's every weekend though. Might be worth it to look them up on Facebook and see if there's anything going on.

Eye filmmuseum is an interesting building and the restaurant inside has a nice view of Central Station. Always liked sitting there when the sun was setting.
    IJpromenade 1, 1031 KT Amsterdam

Next to Eye is the A'dam Lookout, which might be touristy but I like high views. You need to pay to get up there, they have some kinda "biggest swing" in top of it and if course the view is good. I thought the elevator was scary though, it's super fast.

Apart from Radion that's all Amsterdam Noord, was very hip with an art and hippy vibe. I'm sure there's more in that area. Rent a bike, take the ferry and have a look. There was not much 10 years ago, so you will still see dead areas.

The Movies is an old theatre with restaurant. I'm sure they do an meal + movie deal. Screens aren't the best out there, so don't go and watch something that's all about sfx, but I've seen some interesting stuff there and I like it.
    Haarlemmerdijk 161, 1013 KH Amsterdam

Movies are always subbed in Dutch, so make sure you watch an English spoken one. If you want to check for the more interesting movies, have a look at the Cineville website. They'll show everything that's playing in the independent theaters.

If you still want to do a museum thing, but not the standard ones (Anne Frank, Rijksmuseum, van Gogh etc) I think you can visit Rembrandt's house, I enjoyed that.
    Jodenbreestraat 4, 1011 NK Amsterdam

That's next to Waterlooplein, which often has a flea markets going on and there are some vintage stores in that area. Not sure if the market days.

If you like markets, get a stroopwafel at the Albert Cuyp one, but that might be seen as touristy? Most of Amsterdam is tbh.

If you want jazz, check out Bimhuis, very easy to get to from Central Station. I like that place a lot, again has a nice view.

Other music venues: Melkweg, Paradiso, Sugar Factory. None of them are really clubs but I don't remember names of them. Paradiso is worth it just because it's inside a church. Just be warned, if it's sold out it's sold out and too crowded for me. Bouncers aren't nice.

Then there's the Westerpark, which is a nice park, has some good food options and the Tonton club, which is an arcade. Pictures on Google are not how I remembered it, and they also have a place on the Red Light District, so might be worth to have a look at both.

If you search for Gollem you should get 3 options, one at the Overtoom (nice place to sit if you went for a stroll on Vondelpark), one near Rembrandtplein (close to Guerrilla Games so I've been there quite often) and I'm not sure if the other one is open these days. That was definitely my favourite one, but last time I checked it was closed. Seems to be open now. Go to any or all of them for your beers.

If you want pizza, order here
    https://bestellen.ciro1939.nl
    You can't sit there, but you can pick up. Best pizza according to a lot of people, they import there meat and cheeses from Italy I think and the meat is so good. There's a park nearby and also the Albert Cuyp market. De Pijp has always been a good area.

Hot tips from B:
    Meneer de Wit heeft honger
    Witte de Withstraat 10, 1057 XV Amsterdam

Café de Walvis
    Spaarndammerstraat 516, 1013 SZ Amsterdam

I don't know anything about events going on anymore, so can't help with that. I also hope you weren't looking for shopping tips as I can't help with that. There are plenty more restaurants that I could think of but my brain won't recall them right now.

It's also perfectly fine to cycle with flip flops. Don't worry about that, just don't end up in one of the canals.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    OT301 is a little unknown place, we've been there for films, music and a laser show. Guess you need to be lucky with what they offer
    Overtoom 301, 1054 JL Amsterdam
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Bitterzoet might also be a thing for music and party.
    Spuistraat 2 HS, 1012 TS Amsterdam
  • Ohmydays, Nina that's perfect, just what we wanted. We don't mind some touristy stuff but just wanted some ideas for stuff we hadn't done and maybe wouldn't have heard of. You're a legend! Will let you know how we get on. Please pass thanks on to B also :)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Here are a couple more:

If you search for "Burgermeester" you'll find some nice burger places (not always the best to sit down, so if the weather's good just order and find a nice place to sit down next to a canal or something).

Cafe het Gasthuys does some nice burgers as well, plus you can sit outside next to a little canal
    Grimburgwal 7, 1012 GA Amsterdam

Bierfabriek for beer and chicken, they have taps in some tables if my memory works. Not a big beer selection, as that's also the brewery and they only have their own I think.
    Nes 67, 1012 KD Amsterdam

Segugio, again, only a few places to sit down but some amazing Italian food. Only went there once with B (it was close to work for him so often picked something up for lunch there) and we sat down at a table with a couple other people. Was pretty fun and we got some stories, don't go there if you can't stand the idea of sitting next to strangers while eating. It's one big table and maybe two or three smaller ones.
    Utrechtsestraat 96, 1017 VS Amsterdam

Café de Klos for spareribs
    Kerkstraat 41-43, 1017 GB Amsterdam

If you like browsing vinyl, Concerto might be worth a look. New and second hand. Also on the Utrechtsestraat and thus close to the Italian place.

If you enjoy browsing for second hand clothing, on Monday mornings there's a market at the Noordermarkt. My mom loved that and there are a couple of good vendors there. One always sold a lot of out of season King Louis clothing, brand new but labels cut to prevent reselling. Got some good deals there.

If you're there July 6th, go watch a friend making music. It's hard to describe what they actually make, a little bit of punk, pop, new wave, alternative but with unusual instruments. They're having an ep release party. Band is called Jerboah and they are on Spotify.
    "July 6 | Release show of our double EP ‘Bristly + Gnaw" w/ Johan Frauenfelder and DJ JUHA | Café Noorderlicht, Amsterdam-Noord"

Oh man, I miss having so many good food options. There are more places that I can remember going to but I just can't recall names.

And no problem, just have fun. Still think it's an amazing city!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    The area where the Bierfabriek is, is also supposed to be good for live theater. Haven't watched much myself there so don't know any actual places by name, but might be worth to have a look around if you enjoy that kinda stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!